Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 03:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Religion is a function of a part of the brain on the emotional side . The logic side realises it is sitting next to something that is all powerful and all seeing, a God .
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 03:40 am
@Ionus,
...no shizz...okee dokey.
Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 03:55 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...no shizz...okee dokey.
Yeah, that may have done when you were reading Philosophy as a teenager, but I expected better now that you are a big boy and growedup .
jackstefen

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:08 am
@fresco,
This is just gorgeous! How amazing! [desert safari deal dubai

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:12 am
@Ionus,
...sorry to disappoint. I am sure you have loads of murikans to deal with the big questions right next to you Homer. Nice talkin, cya ! Wink
Ionus

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
So..Fil...what are you doing about your insecurity issues ?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:44 am
@FBM,
You can't change those problems without more 30.000 years of natural selection or some sort of IQ pill coming up...we don't have 300 years left before **** hits the fan less alone 30.000... we need either to wipe out two thirds of world population, which is a mad unacceptable solution, or get a freaking clever pill soon. Also people need stop reproducing like freaking rabbits...
FBM

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
True that, but society is/societies are evolving at an ever-increasing pace, I think. Some scholars (Pinker, et al) have observed that the numbers and frequency of war are in decline. I'm not abreast of that area enough to say for sure. We may even be on the verge of a clever pill. Stranger things have happened. We've got a planetary neighbor that's entirely populated by remote-controlled robots now, and when I was born, nobody was yet thinking seriously about going to the moon (I think).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 11:48 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Religion is a function of a part of the brain on the emotional side . The logic side realises it is sitting next to something that is all powerful and all seeing, a God .

There is no way one can come to "there is a God" through logic...just as there is no way one can come to "there are no gods" through logic.

It is about time both sides of this issue finally come to grips with that.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Ionus wrote:

There is no way one can come to "there is a God" through logic...just as there is no way one can come to "there are no gods" through logic.

Why ? How do I know its about time both sides come to grips with it ?
Who's to say an atomic bomb doesn't go off next week after "peace" or the ocean rises 5 meters because of it ? How do you know its not better we come to grips with it 100 years from now ? Hmm...I think you are guessing Frank ! Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Ionus wrote:

Why ? How do I know its about time both sides come to grips with it ?
Who's to say an atomic bomb doesn't go off next week after "peace" or the ocean rises 5 meters because of it ? How do you know its not better we come to grips with it 100 years from now ? Hmm...I think you are guessing Frank ! Wink

I do lots and lots of guessing, Fil...but I don't think I was guessing here.

However, if you are saying that I probably should have said, "It is my opinion that it is about time both sides of this issue finally come to grips with that"...I would agree. You are correct...and I was remiss.

Please consider the change done.

I honestly think (it is my opinion) that NOW is the time for both sides of the "is there a god" issue to come to grips with the fact that LOGIC (nor reason or science) can answer it. None of those things lead to "there is at least one god" or "there are no gods."

If anyone disagrees with that...I'd love to hear (and discuss) the argument.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was merely pointing out that I believe you are making a guess.
I didn't imply I disagree with you. Of course you may disagree all you want, but can you prove me you were not making a guess Frank ?
If so please step forward and speak !
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:00 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Tell me what you think I was guessing...and I'll comment on it.

I have no problem with guessing at all...but when I do it, I want to call it guessing. If I missed this time, I am willing to make an adjustment. In fact, I did make an adjustment...but apparently not enough.

So...what was it you think I was guessing?
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Logic requires developing conclusions based on applying accepted axioms to certain propositions and acquired evidence. Just as evidence may be uncertain, axioms may not apply in all situations. Non parallel lines always intersect in plane geometry, but may be skewed in solid geometry.

So the question I have long held for you, Frank, is how have you arrived at your basic axioms vis a vis the existence of God? what do you consider evidence? and how do you evaluate that evidence?

Logic is basic. With the same axioms, evidence, and propositions, we should all reach the same conclusions.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:29 pm
@neologist,
What are you actually asking here, Neo?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree with Maxdancona on this distinction. Cultures and worldviews are inventions (I use the synonymn, (social constructions). Our meaningful life is to a large extent made up over the centuries as exercises in social cooperation and competition. Most people seem to prefer the idea that our categories and meanings are discoveries of things that sit "out there" in the objective world awaiting our discovery--this is more consistent with the notion that God or gods construct/create our world rather than us. Humanism is more inclined to give humankind credit for the creation of his intersubjective world (his meaningful or culturally constituted/interpreted world). I am--and I think Fresco is--willing to use the term, "discovery", in reference to the fact that most of my meaningful world (my worldview or culture) has been invented by earlier generations of humans and then discovered by me (with the help of teachers of various kinds) in my formative years. That is not inconsistent with my (and Maxdancona's) constructionist perspective.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You seem to be saying reality is too complex for one to develope the basic axioms, or standards, which would certify the existence or non existence of a god; therefore, you have abandoned the search.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:47 pm
@neologist,
You are reading too much into what I have written, Neo.

If there is a god...there is a god.

If there are no gods...there are no gods.

What searching can I do?

There is no way I can search to see if there are no gods. I simply do not have access to everywhere.

There is no way I can search to see if there is a god.

If there is a god, however, the god could certainly let me know it exists if it wants to do so. So far...apparently no god has wanted to do so.
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 02:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So you want a special message, like . . .
Fraaannk!!. Over here, Frank!

I don't think that's gonna happen. Very Happy
neologist

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 02:04 pm
@neologist,
You're gonna hafta look!