Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 05:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Sounds like the Rolex you can buy in China for $10 bucks.

It was a good investment for me. I sold mine on eBay for 450.00
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 05:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
Isn't capitalism wonderful? There's a sucker born every minute.gm
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 06:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Isn't capitalism wonderful?

I guess you took me seriously?

Quote:
There's a sucker born every minute

This is true if you are a prosocial psychopath, antisocial psychopath or a empathic person who has been educated by these type of people but my question to you is, "Is it possible for all of us to profit from a different working model of well being than what you find to be the best?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 06:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
You made the statement, and I believed you. You are now on my IGNORE list. Not worth my time.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 06:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
IGNORE list

You have one of the most unusual ignore list I have seen yet. lol
0 Replies

LucasG

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:13 pm
@argome321,
I agree that "Religion" is bad, however for a different reason. Being a believer in the Christian God and his Son Jesus, I see Religion as the cumulation of hypocrisy trying to get its power from a place that doesn't offer it. In other words, hypocrites altering the word of God to gain wealth and power.

I do not see how you can say faith is the opposite of reason. The two combine perfectly. Without reason, faith would be blind and without faith, reason would be unreachable. There are very little things you don't need faith for to believe. Maybe the only thing you can believe without faith is that You exist.

So what I put forward is that we leave the argument of religions, because in my view religions are man made, and we move to greater topics, namely what and who is God? We should not hold back the creative thinking of anyone, as religion has done in the past. But, discover the Truth about God. However, I believe we can only reach there if we have a Reasonable Faith.

Lucas
Krumple

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 02:23 pm
@LucasG,
LucasG wrote:

I agree that "Religion" is bad, however for a different reason. Being a believer in the Christian God and his Son Jesus, I see Religion as the cumulation of hypocrisy trying to get its power from a place that doesn't offer it. In other words, hypocrites altering the word of God to gain wealth and power.

I do not see how you can say faith is the opposite of reason. The two combine perfectly. Without reason, faith would be blind and without faith, reason would be unreachable. There are very little things you don't need faith for to believe. Maybe the only thing you can believe without faith is that You exist.

So what I put forward is that we leave the argument of religions, because in my view religions are man made, and we move to greater topics, namely what and who is God? We should not hold back the creative thinking of anyone, as religion has done in the past. But, discover the Truth about God. However, I believe we can only reach there if we have a Reasonable Faith.

Lucas

You would have never arrived at the belief of god without religion. Tossing out religion, what basis do you have for god's existence? Faith is the only thing you have but it's really nothing more than "hoping" god exists.

You claim there is reason there but its flimsy at best. Just as I have already pointed out, you arent born believing there is a god. You need to be taught it. The flavor of this god is dictated by where you were born.

From where I sit, there is nothing you can reasonably base god's existence on other than the human need to over come the fear of eternal nonexistence. The ego hates and loaths this fact, but the belief in god allows you to bury your head in the sand until you die.
0 Replies

leoleroy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:02 am
@argome321,
Religion is not evil by itslef, but people abused it because of lake understanding that life is not about power. Ofc, religion is outdated, but before people couldn't do better without it, it helped us to move forward as humanity. But now, it's more about resaon.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 10:49 am
@leoleroy,
Religion is evil; it has taken over the lives of of our mother and my siblings. They believe that those who do not believe as they do are sinners.
CLUE: We are all "sinners" in the 'eyes' of their god.
Their god gave his only "begotten son" then came back to life. That's a sacrifice? Really?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Religion is evil; it has taken over the lives of of our mother and my siblings. They believe that those who do not believe as they do are sinners

Is this different than you seeing things one way and calling people or at the least thinking people are stupid for not seeing it like you "our just ignoring them?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
What?
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do you too at times think people are stupid for seeing things differently than you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
Your words. You just have to prove it.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Your words. You just have to prove it.

It is a question that I am asking you. I am guilty of this at times are you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 06:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Do you too at times think people are stupid for seeing things differently than you?
Quote:

Not generally, but people like you ......
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2016 07:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Not generally, but people like you ......

OK at least you are being honest. Would you like to give your logical reasoning for doing so?
north

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 07:44 pm
@reasoning logic,

Of course .

the ancients knew the control it would have on the , uneducated . who were never allowed to know the written truth .

hence the control of the masses .
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 08:21 pm
@north,
In addition to the uneducated, they didn't have the scientific knowledge we have today. According to the Bible, our planet is only 7000 years old, but we know through science that our planet is closer to 4.5 billion years old. We also know through DNA that we are related to primates. We are not special in the animal kingdom. Humans have developed nuclear weapons that can kill millions with one bomb. Humans are also polluting our atmosphere and water supplies. We are destroying this planet.
north

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 08:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

In addition to the uneducated, they didn't have the scientific knowledge we have today. According to the Bible, our planet is only 7000 years old, but we know through science that our planet is closer to 4.5 billion years old. We also know through DNA that we are related to primates. We are not special in the animal kingdom. Humans have developed nuclear weapons that can kill millions with one bomb. Humans are also polluting our atmosphere and water supplies. We are destroying this planet.

So are we better off without religion though ?
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 08:41 pm
@north,
Quote:
the ancients knew the control it would have on the , uneducated

True it is a problem with being uneducated but the biggest lesson I think they were missing is the same lesson many of us are missing today and that is when you have empathy you can be so naïve to the point where you cant imagine people being as evil as someone with very high traits of cluster B personality disorder or being at the far end of that spectrum.