Cat won't quit shitting!!

Anoxia

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:58 pm
Taking a doo on someone's playstation seems to show more hatred and spite than anything Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:02 pm
Laughing I'll take that as apocryphal evidence.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:02 pm
Wait, wait, I just thought of something that could be a factor. Being pregnant would probably mean more trips to the shitter, hey?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:05 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Also, stop anthropomorphising your cat. It's a cat. I highly doubt it has any conscious intention of getting back at you for some perceived slight on your part.

Au contraire, cav. I know my cats do this to punish me sometimes. I know they're mad at me because they turn their back on me and flick their tail and walk away when I call them instead of coming as they usually do. Those are the same times (and the only times) they don't use their litter pan. Instead, they choose the middle of the room where they're sure it will be noticed. Then when I do, and I scold them for it, they just sit there and grin at me instead of running away.

This always seems to happen when I return from a trip, and they've been left alone for several days. (Petsitter doesn't count, apparently.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:05 pm
That could be.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:10 pm
Eva wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
Also, stop anthropomorphising your cat. It's a cat. I highly doubt it has any conscious intention of getting back at you for some perceived slight on your part.

Au contraire, cav. I know my cats do this to punish me sometimes. I know they're mad at me because they turn their back on me and flick their tail and walk away when I call them instead of coming as they usually do. Those are the same times (and the only times) they don't use their litter pan. Instead, they choose the middle of the room where they're sure it will be noticed. Then when I do, and I scold them for it, they just sit there and grin at me instead of running away.

This always seems to happen when I return from a trip, and they've been left alone for several days. (Petsitter doesn't count, apparently.)

All I have to say is, who's the boss? They may do that out of a certain seperation anxiety, but that is quite different from malice. You confuse this behaviour with 'punishing you'. Miffed, upset at your absence, depressed, maybe, but anger and vengeance are just not in the animal lexicon of emotions, with the possible exception of some primate species.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:17 pm
Cavfancier, have you ever owned a cat? Wink
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
Anoxia wrote:
Cavfancier, have you ever owned a cat? Wink

Thats what I was wondering!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
No, but I was forced to live with a few for a while. I also fed one as a child for several years, a stray orange tabby that eventually got hit by a car. Sad story really.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:23 pm
Laughing Just to clarify, I've met some great cats, and I've met some horrid ones. The same goes for dogs as well, and I am a dog owner.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:24 pm
Spoken as a non cat-owner, Cav

Cat owners are used to being punished!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:40 pm
A Tale of Three Cats

Back in the the days, I was second host to a house of three cats, a black cat named Biko, named after Steven Biko, which I always found a tad distasteful, naming an animal after a political pioneer, Kitty, a mean-spirited tabby with a killer instinct, and Pookie, a cute white fluffy hybrid chosen by myself from a litter of rescue kittens, who, I might add, had the best personality of all. She was friendly, playful, and non-agressive. Kitty constantly brought home dead, and sometimes not dead animals into the apartment, including one dead bat, and one live crow. That was one nightmare clean-up.

Biko could only figure out how to bring plants to us, a true peacenik. Pookie was our choice between this litter that was brought home one night and made to sleep in the bed. A couple of days after the litter came in, peaceful Biko ran away, never to be heard from again. Mean old Kitty stayed, determined to defend the roost. All but one of the kittens were given to good homes, and we kept Pookie, pure white, friendly, and incredibly dumb. Still, she was my favorite, perhaps because she didn't really resemble your typical cat.

One day I tried to pick up Kitty, and she gouged my arm with her claws. I threw her across the room, she ran and hid under the couch for the whole day, and never bothered me again. From then on, I played with Pookie instead. Heh heh, cats aren't the only species who can play favourtism. Pookie grew up beautiful! I do believe she was part Persian, but with the muzzle of a Himalayan.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
Cool!

I think Pigsy is a reincarnation of Fat Freddy's Cat, who used to sh1t on Freddy's earphones.

http://www.threemagi.com/art/art/conceptual/ffcat.jpg

Oh, good ole Fat Freddy's Cat, a great character from The Fabulous Freak Brothers.

Cav,
it's also quite cool that you named a cat Biko.

We once had a cat named "Pequeño Magober", which is how an unshaven Spaniard would have said "Small McGovern".
We gave him such a name because he was a born loser.

Another cat of ours was named "Berlinguer", in honor of the leader of the Italian Communist Party.
A friend gave him that name because he was neutered by his previous owner, an American feminist.
We were quite radical then, I guess.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:50 pm
cavfancier wrote:
All I have to say is, who's the boss? They may do that out of a certain seperation anxiety, but that is quite different from malice. You confuse this behaviour with 'punishing you'. Miffed, upset at your absence, depressed, maybe, but anger and vengeance are just not in the animal lexicon of emotions, with the possible exception of some primate species.

You should stick to dogs, cav. With dogs, it's always clear that you're the boss. (Or it should be, if you ever hope to live in peace.) With cats, it is never clear who's boss. That's one of the basic differences. You have to relate to cats on their own terms, not yours. Further, most resist training, and they resent you for trying.

I really have to disagree with you on this one. After having lived with cats for almost all of my life, I'd say anger and vengeance are definitely in most cats' lexicon of emotions. And you'd have found that out very quickly if you ever tried to touch Kitty again!

If it's important to you to always be the boss, then you should definitely stick with dogs. Happy cat owners are people who don't always have to run the show.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:45 pm
Uhoh, now I'm going to have to check out Fat Freddy.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:06 pm
Eva, here I am, sharing my cat stories even though I prefer dogs, and all of a sudden I'm Hitler! What up wit dat? You clearly have strange opinions regarding dog owners. Our dog is pretty good, he doesn't need that much controlling, but get him outside, OMG, it's like he has no clue he is on a leash. No amount of training will fix that. It's part of his personality, and we love him more for it. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:14 pm
cav, have you tried a pinch-collar?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:19 pm
Yuck littlek, won't use 'em. He's small and sensitive. The last thing I want to see is him getting fearful of walks because of pinching.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
hasn't barely put a dent in my boo's walkability. But, then, she's a boxer - very rugged. Wearing the collar, she doesn't relocate my shoulder joint.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:25 pm
Not only do I not like them myself for our particular breed, our breeder would shoot us on sight if she thought we were using one. A boxer, I can understand.
0 Replies