Will electron produce gamma rays?

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 11:05 am
If we put cathode rod with enormouse voltage in vacuum between strong magnetic fields pointing down paralel to rod
end then put electron in it with initial speed equal to speed of light and begin circling around cathode, Will electron make gamma -rays according to synchrotron radiation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 11:11 am
Question is, do electron exist anyway?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:13 pm

One quick note: While gamma rays are typically more energetic than X-rays, the true difference between them is what their source is.

If a highly energetic photon comes from an electron's interaction with something, it is called an X-ray no matter how energetic it is.

If a photon is emitted from nuclear reactions inside an atomic nucleus, it is called a gamma ray.

As such, even if the photon created in your scenario were of the energy levels typical of gamma rays, it would still be called an X-ray.

As for your question, I've forgotten enough of that corner of physics that I would need to spend a few hours refreshing myself before trying to answer. Hopefully someone else will know the answer.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2015 05:41 am
But what if an electron as a particle doesn't really exist?
0 Replies