Can't get my cisco 837 adsl router to run through my switch!

JEFFARI

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:50 am
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad hello some help would be wonderful. I am trying to get the router to run through the switch so all the network users can access the internet safely through it but i'm not sure if it will work. i have it plugged in to the switch through a cross over cable in the same switch that the netrwork is running through is this conflicting? should it work? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 751 • Replies: 6
No top replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:24 am
You're not sure whether it's gonna work? Did you check it out already or are you just wondering what's going to happen next?

Well from what I know and what I experienced with our adsl router, the adsl router consists of two devices:
Router and switch.
So we got a router you can connect your DSL modem to and have even more plugs you can connect the PCs of the network to. So you get a working network with every machine connected to it having access to the web.
Now plugging a switch with a whole lot of PCs connected to it into the adsl router should be of no concern and work just fine.

In regards to the cable you're using: I think it's the wrong one. Get a normal network CAT5 cable or something and you should do just fine.
0 Replies

JEFFARI

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 09:25 am
I TRIED IT A CROSS OVER CABLE GOING DIRECTLY FROM THE SWITCH TO THE ROUTER THIS DIDN'T WORK, THINK I SHOULD TRY CONNECTING THE ROUTER TO ONE OF MY NETWORK PORTS AND THEN PATCH THAT PORT NUMBER INTO MY SWITCH. NO CROSS OVER CABLE WOULD BE NEEDED
WHAT'D YA THINK???
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 09:33 am
WELL WHAT'DYYASDWDWAD I THINK??!!!!!!!

Now I think that I have no clue what a network port is supposes to be. Furthermore I don't know what patching a port number into a switch is meant to be.
And totally in addition to that I have no clue why you're trying to use a cross over cable to connect that switch and router.
And just to give it all like the icing on the cake or somethin I would like to encourage you to just give your bright ideas a try and check it out without that cross over cable.

NOW WHAT'DLAF§MLAMC§RLQAMF YA THINK BOUT THAT?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 10:32 am
Re: Can't get my cisco 837 adsl router to run through my swi
JEFFARI wrote:
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad hello some help would be wonderful. I am trying to get the router to run through the switch so all the network users can access the internet safely through it but i'm not sure if it will work. i have it plugged in to the switch through a cross over cable in the same switch that the netrwork is running through is this conflicting? should it work? Sad

Can you give a lot better description of what you are trying to do here? Sorry to be a pain but the way you've worded things here just leaves me scratching my head. Why are you trying to connect the router to your switch to access the Internet?

Your ADSL router has a ADSL uplink port that should be connected to you Internet connection. Your switch should be connected to your network side of the router (if your switch has an uplink port and you use that you don't need a cross-over cable) and all of your PCs should be connected to the switch ports.

You also need to setup your router to obtain an IP address through DCHP and then configure it to act as a DHCP server so that all of your PCs can get an IP address.
0 Replies

JEFFARI

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:13 am
Basically i'm just trying to get the router running with my network but was not sure as to how it physically did this, i e directly in to network switch or into network port where all other computers on network plug in to. i have tried both unsucessfully

is dhcp essential? or can i use static addresses.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:36 am
Jeffari, that wasn't a very nice PM you sent me there.

But I won't deal with you using caps all the time, let the admin deal with your PM.
0 Replies