Aussies - Has Midnight Oil's Peter Garrett sold out!????

margo

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
This is as good a place as any to include my Midnight Oils story.

Many years back, when I lived on the outskirts of Sydney, I decided to go into the city on a Saturday morning, by train.

I drove to Blacktown station, which is not in a great part of Sydney, and left my car there. It was the middle of winter, and very foggy. Mountain trains were all delayed, and there were heaps of people around, for 8.30am on a chilly Saturday morning.

It turned out to be some sort of "railway day" - celebrating something or other, now forgotten. There was entertainment at big stations, music. give aways, etc.

While I'm standing there, in the fog, this band starts up - playing on a flat car in the railway yards. You could barely see them, because of the fog, and I had no idea who they were. As I've aged (but no more mature, unfortunately!) I've lost track of popular music, and mostly listen to classical music now. It was quite surreal! But they were really rocking along. Just imagine how they must have felt, 8.30am Saturday, in the fog, in a railway yard in the middle of nowhere. Certainly not the audience they'd be used to!

I found out who they were eventually, and, in the city that day, bought their latest release "Blue Sky Mining" It's still one of my favourite cassettes for driving, much to the surprise of any passengers. It does make you drive fast, though.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:36 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Margo is used to me disrupting her life. She certainly won't mind if I muddy up the carpet in this thread.

But if he pisses in the corner again, he's dead meat. That guy's kidneys musta packed it in in the 80's.....
0 Replies