Holy Ghost/Unforgiven?

tcis

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:16 pm
The Bible states: "Any sin can be forgiven except sins against the Holy Ghost."

What are sins against the Holy Ghost?

I actually called a local church and asked a pastor there. He answer was something like:"This is something that we're not really positive of. There are different interpretations."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 16
No top replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:30 pm
Re: Holy Ghost/Unforgiven?
tcis wrote:
The Bible states: "Any sin can be forgiven except sins against the Holy Ghost."

What are sins against the Holy Ghost?

I actually called a local church and asked a pastor there. He answer was something like:"This is something that we're not really positive of. There are different interpretations."

Where in the bible does it say that? I've never heard of such a thing. Confused
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:07 pm
Years ago a Sunday School teacher said this was "attributing to Satan the works of God".

Was he right? Don't have a clue.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:28 pm
That is the way it has been explained to me. The passage is found in Matthew 12:21, Mark 3:29, and Luke 12:10. Fundamentalist Christians have interpreted the passage in various ways with the most prevalent being that anyone who curses the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven.

Going back to the ancient texts and culture however, your Sunday School teacher probably has it right: it is the unforgivable sin to attribute the work of the Spirit as evil. It is important to know however that in the first Century Christian belief that did not mean the person was destined for hell with no redemption possible. It rather meant that one could not be in tune with God and Satan simultaneously; therefore forgiveness is not possible while 'blaspheming the Holy Spirit'.

That's the best I can do with it. It is one of those curious passages that made perfect sense to the writers but lost much of the accompanying exegesis by the time it got to us.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
Ah, ain't no such things as ghosts. Don't listen to that crap.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 01:59 pm
Well,tcis. I always thought that the "holy ghost" was simply the comforter that Jesus promised to send his followers after his death-- in other words, that unseen part of us that remains calm amidst chaos. If we can assume this to be true, then the "sin" would be to go against what we know to be right in our heart; in our mind; and in our soul.

I don't remember any such thing in the Bible--chapter and verse.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
In my religion , something against a ghost would be equivallent to an exorcisim!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahhaahah maybe thats it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:33 pm
Whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come" (Matt. 12:32).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:55 pm
Lying, or a lie of omission regarding the Holy Spirit.

When your soul witnesses an act done by the HS--and you deny it... or, an event occurs which you purposefully misrepresent to another to be the act of the HS...

Purposeful misrepresentation of the works, or essence of the Holy Spirit.
-------
I think this may be due to the fact that the works of the HS are relegated to translation of followers. We depend on others to share experiences with the Spirit. This is how our faith is strengthened, and how we see the continuing work of God on earth.

Lie about this, and it perverts young Christian's relationships and understanding of God. More mature Christians can judge for themselves--but screwing with a new Christian's faith is not popular with God, in my religion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:12 am
So what is going to happen to people when they die and there is no god or heaven? what would you have accomplished in your life ?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:13 am
So what is going to happen to people when they die and there is no god or heaven? what would you have accomplished in your life ?
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:01 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

Interestiing point.
I thought about that before.

Well, let's say someone believed in a simple Christianity. They were kind to others, were loving, helped the poor & needy, maybe became a nurse or something, to help others.

Then they died and there was no god. What did they accomplish? Well, they still were kind to others, helped others, etc.

Thats some sort of accomplishment, in my opinion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
I agree. I always try to look at my life not in religious terms, but in accomplishments. And ya know whats funny... 90% of my accomplishments involved helping or being with someone else. Maybe that is the answer to life? Or the reason for being. Sharing yourself with others. That is the only thing you can guarantee...welll.. not the only thing.. but one thing you can guarantee. You truly cant guarantee your religious beliefs beyond the grave. Noone has died and lived to tell about what happens after words!! hehe.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
Whenever I am kind to another person(s), give of my time and myself to another, forgive someone...I believe that is God working through me. I do good things and am kind because God blesses me, forgives my sins and shows kindness and grace to me everyday of my life.

Why should I not treat my fellow humans the same way?

Noddy....thanks for that Bible verse. I'm going to email it to my minister and ask his thoughts...and how the Evangelical Lutheran Church interprets that verse.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:24 pm
Doglover--

Google is a wonderful invention--even if the King James Version doesn't make the top ten in biblical citations.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:12 pm
shewolfnm--

I guess most people at some times question their faith. I did. And, I wondered if I would live differently if I knew my faith was 'wrong'.

I could have achieved much more at work, and socially if I didn't have my personal ethics--which were based on my faith--

But, by young adulthood, my beliefs in right and wrong were so entrenched, I couldn't have enjoyed lying (on a wider scale), and ladder climbing over other's backs.

All in all, with or without 'the promise of heaven', the actions I choose are the ones that make me feel better about myself as a human being.

As someone alluded to above, an effort to be kind to other people and help those who need help aren't wasted. I guess the alternative would have been a hedonistic lifestyle. I wouldn't have liked myself.

I don't know how I would have lived had I not ever been introduced to my religion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
It is a truly strange if not impossible question to ask . - who would you be if - . Maybe that would make a good thread subject? You have a point . Our religions shape our person MORE then we acknowledge sometimes. Wether we are active in a religion or not.
I know my religion makes me who I am and reinforces that daily. It took me a while too , to accept my beliefs and faith. A hard road to walk.. but when you come to the other side, the walk was beautiful. :-)
0 Replies