Sending and Receiving Faxes thru Your Computer

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 11:49 am
My husband and I are at the point where we are just about ready to drop our telephone landlines, and go 100% cellular. The problem is that if we don't have a landline telephone, we can't use our FAX machine.

I was looking around, and have been finding stuff about using your computer to send and receive faxes. Has anybody done this? How does it compare with using a regular fax machine and a telephone? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good fax service?

Also, is there any way to use a regular fax machine, without a telephone? (Ok, so that's a dumb question..but I don't know much about this!)

By the way, we are light fax users.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:08 pm
I've done it, back in the day it wasn't too good but there are many services out there and some of the commercial ones are nifty.

Reviews etc:

http://www.savetz.com/fax/

Dmoz category:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Internet_Fax/Services/
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
Thanks, Craven- I will have to do some research, and your links look great!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
Cool, they lost a lot of weight and that means a lot to them.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:15 pm
I use efax for everything right now. www.efax.com I work out of my house now, and I originally called and had a landline set up to use only for fax(I don't have a landline here for phone, just use cell as phone), and efax set up at the same time.
Well, I never had someone come in and hook up the proper lines inside the house for the landline, so I've been using efax for the past 2 months. It's kind of a pain at first to send faxes, because you have to scan the document first, but I've got used to it, and it's not expensive.
Basically how it works is you get an assigned phone number to receive faxes, which go into your email inbox. To send a fax, you can either just click on any document on your computer and "send fax" or scan the physcial document and send it, and you get emailed notification if the fax was successful or not.
I'm still paying the phone bill that I never had fully hooked up, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel it and rely soley on the computer fax.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:18 pm
I wish I shopped all the companies on that list...looks like there could be better deals than efax.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:01 pm
I'll ask my Dad what he uses (it may also be efax); whatever he uses, he's very happy with.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:16 am
So you guys are connected to the internet using a TV cable, not telephone TP?

Just curious.

Relative
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:18 am
Relative - Yes, I have a broadband cable ISP (Road Runner).
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:08 am
How fast is this? Asking because this is a war of cable TV operators against telecom companies.
Technically, LAN in offices is implemented using UTP, a common twisted pair wire used for telephones also. xDSL technologies allow at least 16 MBits/s if installed correctly, without interfering with ISDN operation.

It is interesting to know TV operators are winning, but of course they have more money and people will get rid of fixed phone, but not TV.

Relative
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:18 am
Quote:
2004-06-10 10:15:53 EST: 2691 / 321
Your download speed : 2756307 bps, or 2691 kbps.
A 336.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 329037 bps, or 321 kbps.

I just took this speed test before I am posting this.
I believe that the company claims 3,000 kbps. The thing with cable though, is that heavy local usage will slow it up a bit, but I am not complaining. It is plenty fast for me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:20 am
Slappy- How secure is the information that goes through E-Fax? Can an outsider access it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:23 am
Not sure...they've got all that stuff under the "privacy" link on the website, but I haven't read it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:19 am
I think it's at least as secure as a regular fax.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
I have a friend who runs her own business and she keeps her computer and fax separate as she is afraid of creating another possible means of acquiring a virus. I'm not certain if this is a rational fear.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
It's not. Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks
0 Replies