The conversation about everything and nothing

drom et reve

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:25 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I nominate "How Much is That Doggy in the Window" as the second most depressing song ever written after "Gloomy Sunday". Why? Let's paint a scenario: A kid sees this puppy, and needs it as a friend, because he's picked on and beat up at school, and has no human friends. He has a nickel, and the dog costs five dollars.

And, I would say that HMISDITW is the 3rd most depressing song; the second is most definitely Little Miss. Muffet. It may sound innocent on first listen... but it never tells the grizzly truth about the whole Post Traumatic Stress disorder Ms. Muffet suffered. At least she got compensation.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
Serves her right for sitting on a tuffet, and making friends with spiders.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:28 pm
In memory of Ray:

GEORGIA ON MY MIND
Ray Charles

Georgia, Georgia,
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I'm say Georgia
Georgia
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

I said Georgia,
Ooh Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
The road leads back to you

Georgia,
Georgia,
No peace, no peace I find
Just this old, sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I said just an old sweet song,
Keeps Georgia on my mind
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
Beautiful, Letty. I'm listening to the end of that song right now; so soulful... may we remember it always.

cavfancier wrote:

Yeah, well you hardly told the whole truth about the boy in front of the dog;-- you didn't mention his heroin addiction or his subsequent over-fondness of forcing people to squat over kitty litter. Compared to him, Ms. Muffet is a true saint. Jack and Jill, however, get no sympathy from me.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:50 pm
Right! Time to get on a happier kick. Let's Talk about that rotten Bobby Shaft(toe) who went to sea and left his pregnant girl friend reassuring herself that he'd come back and marry her. Finally she got wise and reported him to the dead beat Dad society.

Later all, Thanks so much for the fun and the memories.

And should Bo return, tell him I'll do my best to get into all that Plato stuff. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:52 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Beautiful, Letty. I'm listening to the end of that song right now; so soulful... may we remember it always.

cavfancier wrote:

Yeah, well you hardly told the whole truth about the boy in front of the dog;-- you didn't mention his heroin addiction or his subsequent over-fondness of forcing people to squat over kitty litter. Compared to him, Ms. Muffet is a true saint. Jack and Jill, however, get no sympathy from me.

Dang, I think I missed the heroin addiction and the kitty litter references in the story. Maybe I'm just a bad reader. I do agree with you about Jack and Jill. No sympathy here either. That hill was just wrong to climb, and they should have known better.

As for Georgia on My Mind, Ray does an amazing version, but I do want to mention the rendition done by Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass. Let me know if you find it. I had it on cassette (remember those?) but can't find it so far on MP3.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
See you later, Letty; never lose your wings.

And, you missed them, Cav? I thought that that was impossible. The kid wanted a mutt to scare his comrades, but was $4.90 too short. He sued the pet-shop for their stunting emotional growth, and they had to give the shop to him, as they went bankrupt.

The child was the talk of the school for a few weeks; but all good things come to an end. He slipped kitty-morphine into other classmates' sloppy Joes, and-- in a drugged state-- had them pay him back for neglecting him when younger. He went overboard on the kitty-morphine himself, and-- when it was combined with his smoking the fishfood-- one thing led to another.

He's now a succesful daytime TV host.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 03:22 pm
Doh! Now I understand...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:36 pm
Oh no. I can't imagine Ray Charles not being around. He always seemed so timeless.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:32 pm
NickFun wrote:
Hey Montana - I clicked on the link you provide in your signature but I'm told "Sorry, but only members granted special access can read topics in this forum". Why aren't I "special"? What is in that forum? Is this some sort of conspiracy or are you just being a "tease" by putting that url on here? Inquiring minds need to know!

Damn. I didn't know the link didn't work. Thanks for telling me. I'll get rid of it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 07:36 pm
Wiyaka wrote:
Montana,

I'd help, but I haven't even tilled mine. I've marked it out, but need at least three good dry days in a row, before tilling. The soil in that part of our yard is heavy, black loam. During the past month, we've had only two days in a row without rain. Lately, we've gotten only one sunny day out of six. Sad

I did mark and start digging a circular flower garden in the front yard, near the road. That was three days ago when temps were in the 90's! Now, it's back into the sixty's and more rain is expected, so it'll have to wait.

Sam has taught me to bake bread and the weather is perfect for it here. I usually bake once a week. With only two of us, I usually bake two pullman loaves .I need to bake banananananaana (Hate spelling that word, can't ever decide where to stop with it.) bread before the bananananananas go bad. Also need to bake regular (whole wheat for us) bread. Bread last week,is almost gone.

I baked six loaves last week, two white, two wheat and two cinnamon raisin. The cinnamon raisin went to my 79 year old mom and our new next-door neighbors. We had to convince Mom to try it right away, or we wouldn't have even tasted it and it was my first time with that recipe. The white bread went for dinner with friends and we sent a loaf home with them.

Does anyone have any good recipes for bread? I'm looking for a good rye bread recipe. The last one I used had too much sugar and almost gagged us. I'm also looking for a good recipe for pumpernickel bread. I love it for reuben sandwiches. <drooling at the thought> Hmmmmmmm, mabe I should ask Cav about that, he might be able to help.

By the way, today Sam and I were talking about what we'd do if we had a "magic wand" that would allow us to change our lives. We talked about material things we'd like, age regression, changes to our bodies, etc. I think I'll start a thread on it.

You sound just like me with all the baking and gardening. Do you do crafts too? Actually, cooking and gardening are what I consider crafts :-D
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 08:09 pm
I used to do landscaping and gardening. I can ruin a lawn in 15 minutes! Or I can restore it to its youthful luster. It just depends on how much you are willing to pay.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:08 pm
Letty wrote:
.......... so much for the fun and the memories.

And should Bo return, tell him I'll do my best to get into all that Plato stuff. Smile

no, no, no, Letty; i said PLaydough, P L A Y D O U G H ! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 10:11 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
.......He's now a succesful daytime TV host.

isn't that an oxymoron? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:23 am
Montana and all,

I'm done baking for tonight. The honey wheat and bananananana (#$%*#! word! Evil or Very Mad ) the other one, both came out out nice, texture and taste. Very Happy I had to watch our three sled dogs, so they didn't wolf (pun intended) them down. Actually, only one has wolf. The other two have coyote in them.

Regarding hobbies, reading is a big one. Occassionally I draw with pen and ink, write bad poetry and worse prose. I have paints, brushes and canvases to get re-aquainted with, then a tipi to paint and waterproof. I love to cook and bake. I can do beadwork and leather work, but don't do it often. I do have to do some one my buckskin dress and moccasins and have put it off for a month. Sam and I are officers in the local AMVETS post here on our reservation and enjoy doing things with that group.

I love to travel, visiting family, friends and meeting new people. We take our three pups with us every time we hit the road, even to Canada. We average six to ten thousand miles each year on the road, going to Ceremonies and Gatherings. This year is still up a bit in the air for our schedule. We're already scheduled for a late July trip outside of Livingston, Montana for a week long Gathering. From there to Great Falls and eventually, my hometown of Yakima, WA for a few days. In September, we're expected to attend the renewal of wedding vows for family in Vancouver, BC.

I don't know if you consider spiritual ceremonies as a hobby, but it occupies a great deal of our time. We try to live as tradtionally as possible. I am considered a Winkte (Lakota for neither man nor woman) and Sam is considered Wioptula, basically a woman warrior. Unlike some, we are on a Spiritual Path and attend Ceremonies and even do some, ourselves. We've met with Lakota Elders, including Grandpa Wallace Black Elk who passed away in February, this year. He was only one of the many wonderful people we have met and come to love, not only as teachers, but family.

We camp out whenever possible and will use the tipi after it's painted. It was a gift from an ex-boyfriend of mine to us. How's that for leaving a relationship on good terms, getting a home from an ex? Very Happy Last year it was tarps and lean-too's for us, having given away our van and tent to a homeless couple. This year, we'll travel in style in our '95 Dakota pickup named "Sioux", what else? Razz

The Elders are after me to write my autobiography too. Can anyone explain why it's called that? Confused I mean really, look at the word. An auto is a car. A biography is the story of someone's life. I'm no mechanic...unless forced to do repairs. So, why would they want me to write the life story of a car? Rolling Eyes I kept asking , until they finally stopped laughing, wiped their eyes dry and said, "Your life story, silly." That I understood! Why didn't they say so in the first place? I guess our saying, "When the time is right, you'll know." applies here somehow. I think that there will have to be two volumes to this. One about my war experiences in Vietnam, like we need another one of those. Rolling Eyes The other will deal with my childhood, my marriages and being Winkte.

I've got some diaries from the early '80's and have made contact with some of my friends in service, so the Vietnam thing is covered. Mom is still around and even stopped by today, with a cousin close to her age. She turns 80 in September and only lives 25 miles away, so I can pump her for information, too.

Unfortunately, several Elders passed on this winter, so Sam will need to help. She's being doing a bit of a journel occassionally. Even though we've been together for only three years, we've experienced enough things and met people others only think about experiencing or meeting. Someday, all of this will be on paper.

I hope this answers a few questions about me and Sam, If you'd like to know more, let us know by asking. We're honest and unafraid of talking about our past. There are a few things about the war I don't talk about, but most topics are open for discussion. For anyone interested in my war record, I have a thread on "military experts that have never been in combat." I will not discuss military awards. I call them "trinkets".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:29 am
So, we're off of the two sentences thing, right?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 02:08 am
No, Osso; the title's everything and nothing, whether that's six words or six paragraphs, or anything in between.

Hey, Wiyaka; what books have you liked most? Do you prefer new books, or classics?

It's called autobiography from a weird mix of Greek and French-- autos means self- in Greek, and biographie is.. well... biography. English is so full of these borrowings; and, yet, every day, I hear 'why can't they all speak English?' being said. This self-important attitude is one of the ways to really annoy me!

Have others in your tribe written autobiographies; or just a few? Will it be a private thing, or marketed to be sold? If the latter, ask me if you want to have it published in England, and I'll hand a manuscript and a suggestion to my friends in publishing-- I'm sure that they'd like it; it seems really interesting. Do many people marry more than once? How did you and Sam meet?

0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 05:33 am
Wiyaka
What an interesting life you have. I'll be looking forward to reading more about you and Sam :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:29 am
Osso, Razz Confusing, ain't it.

Montana, Wi's name ought to be Janet, then we could all sing Sam and Janet evening. (groan)

Hmmm. Playdough, Bo? Always misreading you.

a short verse for Bertram:

Bert, I did understand
A Christian you ain't.
How quaint.

That's why Bo approves,
Cause he is no saint,
Dead faint.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
Yep, I mixed this up with the Neverending Game of, oh, whatever!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 05:07:35