physics

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:06 pm
When a piece of iron is picked up by a permanent magnet does it accelerate towards the magnet? If so at what acceleration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 16
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 03:19 pm
42 kilojouls.
magnocrat

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 02:54 am
@McGentrix,
How did you get that figure? I thought acceleration would be in metres per second squared.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2015 03:03 am
@magnocrat,
Assuming the iron starts from a rest state, any movement would be acceleration. The rate of acceleration would depend on the strength of the magnet, the distance and the mass of the iron. Need more info.
magnocrat

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:25 am
@FBM,
Thanks you triggered an interesting thought all motion has to start with acceleration.
FBM

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:38 am
@magnocrat,
You're welcome. Keep in mind that acceleration and rate of acceleration aren't quite the same thing. I hope that helps. Smile
maxdancona

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:54 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Keep in mind that acceleration and rate of acceleration aren't quite the same thing. I hope that helps

Please explain what that means mathematically.

Acceleration is dV/dt. This is a rate (by the definition of rate).

How would the "rate of acceleration" be any different?
magnocrat

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 02:16 pm
@maxdancona,
I think it may mean that acceleration could be constant or it may change --- its a difficult one and no mistake. When you press down the car accelerator peddle does it speed up evenly?
FBM

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 06:49 pm
@magnocrat,
No, max was right. For some reason, I was thinking that acceleration is scalar and rate of acceleration was a vector. I was wrong. That's what I get for trying to think late at night.
magnocrat

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 01:49 am
@FBM,
Sad to say my science is intuitive not mathmatical. Like most I repond to words rather than symbols , ultimately everything boils down to language.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 06:22 am
@magnocrat,
Science is based on logic and mathematics, not intuition. Intuition is often wrong... intuition is a good thing to get you to look at problems from another angle.

When it comes to understanding science, you have to rely on the mathematics.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 06:25 am
@FBM,
There is a term for the the change of Acceleration over time (that is dA/dt). That is called "jerk" (which I think sounds funny when I say it).
FBM

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 06:53 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah, that was what I confabulated with "rate of acceleration." I've never heard it referred to as "jerk" before, but I've only studied it here in Korea, so I doubt that would have translated. Especially not the ambiguity. Wink
0 Replies

magnocrat

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 03:59 am
@maxdancona,
Yes I suppose that is true but you must remember most of us have to rely on the experts explaining things. Many of the experts make a very good job of it. I have learnt a tremendous amount simply reading popular accounts of the latest discoveries, although many questions spring up in my mind.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 04:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is a term for the the change of Acceleration over time (that is dA/dt). That is called "jerk" (which I think sounds funny when I say it).

There is a T-shirt out there which just says "Don't be a (d^3)x/(dt)^3. "

I got one for XMas, and I'm wondering where I could wear it and have people get the joke.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:22 am
@Kolyo,
I think it is funny.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:37 am
@Kolyo,
That's pretty good. Just the looks you would get would be precious.
0 Replies