Migration issues

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 06:16 am
Am finally replacing "Betty" with "Tanya", which translates to: my old Win98, P2 400mhz, 9GB memory girl is getting kicked to the curb for a new, sleek hottiefied P4, 3.06, 120GB, hyper-threading blahblahblah nobodywantstoreadyoubraganymorePjustaskyourquestion.

I anticipate some migration issues, as my old girl cannot write to a CD.

Is it possible I can connect the Two Towers via USB and transfer from one hard drive to another, or am I gonna hafta copy to a million floppies, or is there some way to do this that I don't know about?

Help (he wrote, hopefully, and with a slightly mournful look on his face)...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BillW

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:02 am
yes
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
Re: Migration issues
PDiddie wrote:
Is it possible I can connect the Two Towers via USB and transfer from one hard drive to another, or am I gonna hafta copy to a million floppies, or is there some way to do this that I don't know about?

There are heaps of ways to connect 2 computers, using just about every port your 'puter has...USB, parallel, serial, infrared (IrDA), LAN, FireWire (IEEE1394), wireless LAN (802.11x), etc., any sort of combination of the above, or copy your data to an external hard drive or a web server... Personally, I'd just set up a workgroup between the 2, using regular network cable. If you don't have a router or hub & you only wanna connect 2 computers, you can use a crossover cable which is the same as regular LAN cable except that the wires inside cross so the transmit pin at one end is connected to the receive pin at the other end.
Actually, scratch that, I'd just add the old hard drive as a 2nd HD in the new PC. Then you're done.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:29 am
Well you buncha stinkin' genuises.

Grazie.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 07:39 am
Then again, get a large space out on the internet - download one computer, upload the other. Segments at a time. I have used the "add the old hard drive as a 2nd HD in the new PC" for the last few new computers I've bought. Be sure when using XP that you put all you data files on the backup disc before you every load the OS on the other drive because it automatically reformates the entire disc; therefore, wiping out anything on the drive.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:55 pm
BillW wrote:
I have used the "add the old hard drive as a 2nd HD in the new PC" for the last few new computers I've bought. Be sure when using XP that you put all you data files on the backup disc before you every load the OS on the other drive because it automatically reformates the entire disc; therefore, wiping out anything on the drive.

Don't think this altogether feasible, as I cannot write to a CD and there are 2.56Gb of files. That's a few too many floppies.

Is there another option -- a shortcut? How can I do this and preserve the files?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:30 pm
PDiddie wrote:
BillW wrote:
I have used the "add the old hard drive as a 2nd HD in the new PC" for the last few new computers I've bought. Be sure when using XP that you put all you data files on the backup disc before you every load the OS on the other drive because it automatically reformates the entire disc; therefore, wiping out anything on the drive.

Don't think this altogether feasible, as I cannot write to a CD and there are 2.56Gb of files. That's a few too many floppies.

Is there another option -- a shortcut? How can I do this and preserve the files?

By "backup disc" I believe he means whichever hard drive you won't be loading your operating system onto, so no need for a CD writer there.

One other thing...the bit in the above quote about the Windows XP installation automatically reformating drives is inaccurate. It would only do so if during setup you deleted partitions or specified that you wanted to format them.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:51 am
Monger, I've found this to be true except when you just wanted to "repair" the old XP installation. If there is no XP on the system, then it has to be loaded new - which, in my experience, reformats the drive.

You are right, I was refering to a second hard drive. BTW, 2.56 Gb of files will fit on 5 or 6 cd's, well worth the purchase of a burner. Put them on RW discs and you can reuse the same disc again. Myself, I have decided to use an external burner so I can use it from multiple platforms.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:00 am
BillW, I have installed Windows XP many dozens of times & have not experienced the automatic reformatting (with no prompt or opt-out) that you mention.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
And, I hope I never have to load XP again Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:15 am
heh Smile
0 Replies