Need new computer, seeking advice.

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
The custom-made PC at my office has died (yet again). I have put way too much money into it over the years, and been ripped off at least twice on the repairs.

I have had probably eight or more PCs over the years and of all the machines I've owned, the Compaq's have been the most reliable.

I have never owned, but am strongly considering, a Dell. Gateway was a consideration until a few months ago when I read of their sinking consumer satisfaction and (probably related) closing of their retail stores.

One Compaq I had was a very reliable, but frustratingly proprietary machine--I couldn't put non-Compaq aftermarket parts on it (I am capable of doing basic components additions myself), since everything was custom-Compaq sized.

My other Compaq (the one mentioned in the thread below) is not proprietary at all, and it has been very reliable for the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, in your opinion, should I go for a Dell, or repeat with Compaq? My office does not need gaming-quality graphics, just need to run MS Office Suite, and misc. business programs.

Any recommendations on components (I don't know what's changed in the last three years)?

I do think I need to have a backup drive, kinda like a Dentist's office would have--that automatically duplicates the hard drive every night in case it fails. There's a name for this type of setup, but I don't remember it. Help on that, too, please. Smile

Thanks

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:36 pm
I would vote for a DELL over Gateway. I ordered a DELL for the very first time last year, and they threw in a (cheap) printer and a digital camera (pretty cheap). I use the DELL for my backup computer, and I have a BELKIN switch so I can use only one keyboard and mouse to operate two computers. DELL has sent several "offers" for discounts on differeent products since then, but have not made any use of them. I've heard that Gateway now has many customer service problems, so I would stay away from Gateway. BTW, the printer they threw in with my computer went bonkers, and they replaced it without any hassels. I think that's a good sign that they take care of customer service much better than Gateway. Their prices are good too!
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:18 pm
Dude, You're getting a dell!
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:28 pm
Re: Need new computer, seeking advice.
GeneralTsao wrote:
I do think I need to have a backup drive, kinda like a Dentist's office would have--that automatically duplicates the hard drive every night in case it fails. There's a name for this type of setup, but I don't remember it. Help on that, too, please. Smile

I would look into a RAID Level 1 setup. This will automatically duplicate info on two drives as it is being written. So if one fails the other is a exact copy. It's a cheap insurance policy.

I would also grab a external Firewire or USB2 drive to do nightly back-ups in the event the building burns down or the computer gets stolen. I would keep that off-site or in a good fire-proof box.

And, I would also go with Dell.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:48 am
Ah, RAID, that's the word I was looking for! Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

General Tsao
0 Replies