Any ideas what is happening near Challis, Idaho?

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 06:24 pm
There have been some quakes near there recently... The tight pattern looks volcanic in nature, not tectonic. Has anyone here seen the seismograph info on the quakes?I remember reading a paper on that area being the source of some large eruptions in the past. anyone recall that study? There was a big discharge of red material.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,323 • Replies: 4
No top replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 07:02 pm
You do know there is a HUGE caldera(super volcano) just 200 miles away in yellowstone right?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 08:46 pm
@blackdog34,
Do a google search on USGS volcano monitoring and you will learn the current status of all volcano's in the US as well as their history of activity.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2015 05:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
VISIT IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY'S SITE ON THE CHALLIS SUBDUCTION ZONE
0 Replies

blackdog34

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 03:06 am
@giujohn,
yes, been there... what I'm referring to is recent earthquakes in the challis, Idaho area... it's tight cluster... not fault activity... been to craters of the moon too. has anyone seen the seismic readouts of the recent quakes? considering all the nw Nevada quakes, the activity at newberry crater in recent months(although it has now been quiet for a month or so, and various other activity in the cascade strato-volcanos... just wanting to know if anyone here has taken a look at the actual seismograph readouts. I know the tilt meter info on the long valley caldera certainly shows some interesting figures.
0 Replies