Should I worry about a virus?

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:58 am
I came home from the Orthopedic Surgeon to find a little window blinking on the computer:

etrustEzvirus real time protection has found that C:/Documents & Settings/ D.. P......./Local Settings/Temporary Internet files/Content. IE5/ QDBCX034/si1[1]is HTML. MHTML redir.exploit trojan.

Does this mean I have a virus? Or that a virus was foiled? Or that I'm sharing a virus right this minute?

Please clarify.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:07 am
It means you visited a page that was designed to run the MS04-013 exploit.

If you have installed the patch Microsoft issued (Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (837009)) on April 13, 2004 it can't exploit you.

Because your AV program detected something it is likely that it blocked the exploit.

The type of exploit it is is one that attempts to run programs and or install them on your computer. It was not likely to have suceeded.

Incidentally, I recommend that you stick with the most well known AV programs (I recommend Norton, and even when I had a paid for version of the next best (McAfee) I bought Norton) and not their lesser-known and less secure counterparts.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
But Craven - how about those of us who have tried Norton, but find it incompatible with XP Home? We're stuck with McAfee (who I find very difficult to deal with) or what you refer to as lesser known and less secure protection. I have eTrust EZ Armor and it seems to do very well. Also, they are quick to respond to questions which is a major point in their favor.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
Thanks, Craven. One less worry on my small-but-intense mind.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
Norton is compatible with Windows XP Home. I run Norton on both XP pro and XP home.

The big guys sometimes have worse tech support, but what matters is speed of the release of the virus definitions and the quality of the heuristics.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
To pursue this a little further - I had problems with Norton 2004, both AV and Utilities. (I wouldn't get the Utilities again; there are other ways to achieve the same cleanup, etc.) The AV simply didn't do what it was automatically supposed to do; I had to do everything manually. Norton told me this was a known problem with XP Home, which doesn't mean it hits everyone, of course. But it hit me, and I switched. I researched various AV and firewall protections, and read very good things about ezTrust, which persuaded me to try.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:03 pm
Dunno what to tell ya. I've never had any problems with Norton and XP Home. I suspect you might have misunderstood what "Norton" told you or some other miscommunication occured.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
I use Norton AntiVirus on every PC I work with (it works just fine on WinXP Home, naturally), but I've read excellent things about NOD32's advanced heuristics engine which, in many people's opinion, is superior to all the competition. (It's not the easiest program for computer neophytes to use, though.)
0 Replies