Do you take precautions?

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:04 pm
Tell us about some of the precautions you take "just in case." For instance my mom would always unplug the toaster before trying to dislodge the piece of toast that was stuck inside.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,271 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 02:08 pm
That is a very sensible precaution. There may be live parts inside a toaster even though it is not heating and a metal implement e.g. a knife could conduct electricity and allow a lethal shock to the holder. People have been killed doing this.

When I was servicing colour TVs back in the 70s if we had to put a hand inside a working TV we always used, as a precaution, to put the other hand in a pocket (away from grounded metal), so we wouldn't get a shock across the chest in the event of accidental contact.

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 05:10 pm
@contrex,
Interesting! I had a friend who repaired computers several decades ago and was good about touching a half dozen things to discharge any static before touching the motherboard and chip.
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 06:19 pm
Don't know if you consider this a precaution, but I never drive a car without locking all the doors.

I've gotten annoyed at Wally when I'm the passenger, and he's driving.

He'll stop at a store he just needs to run in and out of, and he'll leave the keys in the ignition (car turned off), and the drivers door open.

I'll immediately lean over and lock that drivers door.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 08:48 am
@Banana Breath,
I still have my little earthing bracelet.

Foot on clutch when turning on ignition.

Never put knives in a sink.

Automatic spellcheck on emails on send.

Shoes with a lawnmower ( in the tropics it's not always the most comfortable option)

saab

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:09 am
I turn off the water - especially in the wintertime when I am gone for several days.
Any large item that I carry down stairs I always rest on my hip so I can see the steps clearly. I do not want to fall down the steps.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:29 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

What's an earthling bracelet for?
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

hingehead wrote:

Electrical:

Earth (British and Commonwealth English)

Ground (US English)

A grounding or earthing bracelet is worn by people when handling electronic components or poking about inside computers etc. The idea is to remove any static electric charge from the body that might damage circuit components such as chips. They have a wire with a clip and you connect this to earth or ground if you prefer e.g. the metal case of equipment or a water pipe.

They are also called "anti-static wristbands".

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mISVrDQbN3CcjAnjl8J1KcQ.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 12:55 pm
@contrex,
Ah. Thanks.

I misread it as saying "earthling" bracelet.

I thought it had something to do with protection from the faeries.
contrex

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 01:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I thought it had something to do with protection from the faeries.

The great protection against the Faery race is iron, or preferably steel. The metal can be in any form : a sword, a knife, a pair of scissors, a needle, a nail, a ring, a bar, a fish-hook. A knife or nail in your pocket prevents you being `lifted' at night. As an additional safeguard, put a smoothing iron under your bed. I believe they don't like the sound of bells either.
chai2

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 10:50 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

As an additional safeguard, put a smoothing iron under your bed.

Can I use the flat iron I use on my hair?

My husband, for some strange reason, would always use these diaper pins on the fitted sheets. Must have been something from his childhood when they either didn't have fitted sheets, or they weren't made well.
The faerie folk must have influenced them, because about a dozen times when coming around the corner of the bed I would stab myself with one of the damn pins that had popped open.

However, I did tell him if he ever puts diaper pins through the fitted sheets again, I'd hit him over the head with a cast iron skillet, so maybe there's something to it.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:48 am
@Banana Breath,
We are passionate two baggers here.

Whatever the delivery we always use two bags each load.

There was this one time when we didn't have enough paper bags to put on ( we usually always use two each just in case one falls off during the paroxysms of ecstasy).

We made do with one paper one plastic and the asphyxiation was exquisite.

It was around this time that we began to experiment with electrical cords which was such abuzz.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:52 am
@nacredambition,
What a pity you didn't get electrocuted ...
nacredambition

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 12:56 am
@CalamityJane,
What a thoroughly grounded riposte.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2015 07:48 am
@chai2,
Quote:

I have no idea, I only have an earthing bracelet.
0 Replies