Alan Rickman

Katre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:59 am
I like Rickman. But the way the film industry works, there is a depressing tendency for him to get type cast as comic Grand Guignol villains. As such, he is always equal to himself, (unforgettable as the Sheriff of Nottingham or the sleazy political spinmaster in Bob Roberts) but underused IMHO. He is capable of so many more dimensions, and is never so good as when he is cast against type.

My favorite performnace by him though is as the revenant cellist in Anthony Minghella's Truly Madly Deeply, we have a delightfully nuanced comic portrayal, seductive enough
to get called back from the dead by the grief of his distraught widow, but also sufficiently annoying, flimsy and full of ticks, as to teach her to dispense with his memory and get on with her life.

So what do you guys think, do you think there's more to him than just a villain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:55 am
Yep, as soon as I saw the title of your thread I thought "Truly Madly Deeply." That was a great movie, and he was a convincing romantic hero (though with a twist, of course...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:16 am
Oh I think he's great - and would be interesting in a role cast against type.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:25 am
His HBO film (a TV movie) "Something the Lord Made" about a doctor who pioneers a surgery technique while giving a black medical technician the chance of a lifetime. A sincere and uplifting movie and Rickman delivers depth to a character who is the good guy.

But my favorite is still his portrayal of "Rasputin."
Electrifyingly realistic.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
Truly, Madly, Deeply is one of my all time favorite movies.

I saw it during a three day film going festival. My former husband took the boys camping and so my daughter and I went first to see the film about George Sand that introduced the world to the British actor so revered for his aw shucks roles. Can't remember the name of the film right now but it begins with an I.

Then saw Truly, Madly, Deeply.

Rain washed out the camping trip and the guys were restless so we all went to see City Slickers.

That was not a fall from the sublime to the ridiculous: all three movies were about people caring for each other.

As for Rickman, gawd, he was the sexiest man alive in that film. I would not kick him out of bed.
0 Replies

Nevermore

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:17 pm
I also think Rickman is great, espescially in Truely, Madly, Deeply.

But does anyone remember him in Die Hard?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:06 pm
rickman is the basil rathbone of his time. effective as both villain or hero
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:22 pm
I love his character and his hair in the Harry Potter movies. Haven't seen the HBO movie yet but it's on the agenda.
0 Replies