Quote by Shakespeare

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:54 pm
“Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 756 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:05 pm
@Rickoshay75,
That's the one I usually cite as the epitome of "the void", fear of which drives the need for religion.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:47 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

That's the one I usually cite as the epitome of "the void", fear of which drives the need for religion.

True, it doesn't paint life as a pretty picture, but being afraid of what it means is a stretch.
fresco

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:14 pm
@Rickoshay75,
In fact, negation of the void appears to be "wired" into our perceptual apparatus. The night sky is "seen" as a closed flattened dome with the horizon further away than the apex. This explains "the moon illusion" i.e of the moon appearing larger at the horizon than overhead.

But irrespective of whether perceptual findings are indicative of "fear", it is interesting that "closure" encapsulated by the words like "purpose" or "goal" or "achievement" figure so prominently in human psychology and social life.
And all this is despite our understanding of our apparent insignificance and transience in cosmological terms.
0 Replies