Old shotguns

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:56 pm
My husband says that if I shoot deer slugs from my dads old 29" sawed off 12 gauge it could blow the barrel off and I could get hurt.
My dad died last Feb. so he's not around to ask.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 04:16 pm
@JeanAwesome156,
I can only suggest you track down a respected gunsmith in your area and have him look it over. It's probably going to depend on condition more than age.

I'm going to tag this for Gungasnake as he knows quite a bit about shotguns.
roger

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 04:17 pm
@roger,
Well, too many other tags for mine to show up.

<sigh>
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 04:29 pm
@JeanAwesome156,
JeanAwesome156 wrote:
My husband says that if I shoot deer slugs from my dads old 29" sawed off 12 gauge it could blow the barrel off and I could get hurt.

One issue that occurs to me is the possibility that a restrictive choke would prevent the passage of a hardened slug. I don't know if that will be a factor in your case, but it's something to consider.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 04:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Well, too many other tags for mine to show up.
<sigh>

I'll send him a PM.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 04:43 pm
@oralloy,
Thank you.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:51 am
@JeanAwesome156,
Quote:

Several considerations in that one....

The idea of chokes in a shotgun is the same as would be more or less restrictive nozzles on a garden hose. The tighter chokes produce a tighter shot pattern for further out targets, the least tight (skeet or IC) chokes produce a more open and wider pattern for close in shooting including skeets.

It might be safe IF whoever sawed the barrel off did a superior/clean job of it and deburred what was left of the barrel afterwards since sawing the barrel off would eliminate the choke area of the gun and thus eliminate all restriction.

Normally if I came into possession of any sawed off shotgun I'd simply put it into the nearest large river since governments view all sawed off shotguns as gangster weapons but if there's still 29" of barrel left, it's probably at least legal. Nonetheless I'd keep that gun as an heirloom and buy a modern shotgun for hunting.

Most shotguns made prior to the last 30 years or so came with fixed chokes and any HUNTING shotgun came with tighter chokes than you'd want for slugs so that in my view it would be bad practice to use any gun with a fixed choke with slugs.

There have been significant improvements in smokeless powder over the years as well as improvements in metallurgy. The only thing I'd use some sort of a shotgun from 1940 or on back for would be skeet shooting with target ammo.

Normally if I were to go out after Bambi with shotgun slugs, I'd want a gun made for slugs and they make such guns specifically and they're not expensive. Or if I was just going to use one of my ordinary 12ga guns with screw-in chokes, I'd use a skeet or IC choke (least restrictive)

There are generally better options for Bambi than shotgun slugs. Federal makes buckshot shells with that same kind of wad which they use for the BlackCloud duck shells. That would give you a 70-yard range, greater than any shot you'd ever see in anywooded area, and (assuming you were any good with a shotgun) it wouldn't matter if Bambi was standing still or moving at full speed.

Try this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Pump-Action-Shotguns/BI.aspx?Keywords=slug

However
gungasnake

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:00 am
http://www.federalpremium.com/education/flitecontrol.aspx

The parent company for Federal and CCI makes anti-aircraft weapons. The FlightControl wad and BlackCloud shells are AA weapons migrated to shotugun hunting. Ducks I've shot with BlackCloud shells have invariably been dead before they hit the ground.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 07:22 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Several considerations in that one....

The idea of chokes in a shotgun is the same as would be more or less restrictive nozzles on a garden hose. The tighter chokes produce a tighter shot pattern for further out targets, the least tight (skeet or IC) chokes produce a more open and wider pattern for close in shooting including skeets.

It might be safe IF whoever sawed the barrel off did a superior/clean job of it and deburred what was left of the barrel afterwards since sawing the barrel off would eliminate the choke area of the gun and thus eliminate all restriction.

Normally if I came into possession of any sawed off shotgun I'd simply put it into the nearest large river since governments view all sawed off shotguns as gangster weapons but if there's still 29" of barrel left, it's probably at least legal. Nonetheless I'd keep that gun as an heirloom and buy a modern shotgun for hunting.

Most shotguns made prior to the last 30 years or so came with fixed chokes and any HUNTING shotgun came with tighter chokes than you'd want for slugs so that in my view it would be bad practice to use any gun with a fixed choke with slugs.

There have been significant improvements in smokeless powder over the years as well as improvements in metallurgy. The only thing I'd use some sort of a shotgun from 1940 or on back for would be skeet shooting with target ammo.

Normally if I were to go out after Bambi with shotgun slugs, I'd want a gun made for slugs and they make such guns specifically and they're not expensive. Or if I was just going to use one of my ordinary 12ga guns with screw-in chokes, I'd use a skeet or IC choke (least restrictive)

There are generally better options for Bambi than shotgun slugs. Federal makes buckshot shells with that same kind of wad which they use for the BlackCloud duck shells. That would give you a 70-yard range, greater than any shot you'd ever see in anywooded area, and (assuming you were any good with a shotgun) it wouldn't matter if Bambi was standing still or moving at full speed.

The parts in red are incorrect.

Unless the gun was specifically designed in the era to shoot black powder or has a damascus barrel or has obvious defects it should be sfe to shoot modern ammo. A gunsmith would be able to tell very quickly

A shotgun is basically a big pipe, the hole in it we call the bore . At one end, where the shell goes in, we call this the chamber, the hole of the chamber is bigger than the bore and the transition area between the chamber and the bore is called the forcing cone . The choke of the barrel, is located at the other end of the barrel. The transition area between the choke and the bore is called the tapered or the conical part of the choke; this area provides the transition geometry between the shotgun choke and the bore of the shotgun.

Once you cut the first few inches of of the muzzle, if the gun was choked, it will not be then. It will be what is referred to as "cylinder bore" and safe to shoot slugs albeit maybe not supremely accurate with some brands.
Also the legal lengths for shotguns in the U.S. is, first the barrel must be no shorter than 18", AND the over all length of the entire gun can not be less than 26"
gungasnake

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 10:29 pm
@giujohn,
The parts in red are more like erring on the side of safety than error. There's no telling what goes on in cops' minds and I don't like the idea of even having to explain a sawed-off gun to anybody, for any reason. Likewise I wouldn't want to be the first person to find out what some 1927 gun was going to do with a 2.75" shell loaded with 32 grains of LongShot powder and 1-1/8oz of shot...

I mean, why bother with bullshit when you can buy decent modern guns as inexpensively as you can on gunbroker.com??
giujohn

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 03:31 pm
@gungasnake,
Fair enough.
0 Replies