Can you name some things in your food that you're NOT supposed to eat?

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:00 pm
We were starving.
There were ten of us on survival training in November in the deep woods of Eastern Washington, then full of snow and fog and dreariness...our guide asked if anyone would dare eat the eyeballs of the hare he had just killed before us in a demonstration of what the hell to do with a snared rabbit.
I raised my hand.
So did another guy, I ate both before he had a chance to get near.
We were starving.
The eyeballs, (divert your eyes if you don't want to know) were cool, salty, gelatinous, and delicious.

Joe)I wished for more(Nation
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
give ya worms!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 03:30 pm
So joe nation, it seems we have found you.

revenge is a dish best served cold.

http://www.hopperhome.com/whiskers.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 04:06 pm
@Banana Breath,
Ok, I watched. I like seals.. reminds me of a fav recent photo, as an antidote.

Anyway, I get it, as part of the feast and their culture.
I've eaten brain and kidney, but cooked and served in restaurants, french for the first and vietnamese for the second, both tasted fine, but not a survival thing, a tasting thing. That was sometime ago - way pre the recent whole animal trend.
Banana Breath

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 04:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Things like brain and kidney are quite popular all over Europe. Steak and kidney pie is a staple throughout England. There's a whole region of Rome, "Testaccio" devoted to cooking with offal, also called the "quinto quarto"
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 04:45 pm
@Banana Breath,
Sure, but brain came up on that video.
I've walked Testaccio but quite a while ago, pre it getting hip, I think. I can't tabulate when places swerve to get hip. I do know about food there.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 05:51 am
Apparently I'm not supposed to eat this. Just as well they said, because, like most people, I normally consume packaging voraciously.
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/499429805/DO_NOT_EAT_logo_silica_gel_desiccant.jpg
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:09 pm
Ever buy canned salmon? You know how it has bones in it, right? I once had a friend who would scrupulously sort all those little soft bones out of the fish.

Joe(If I was nearby, I would eat them as she sorted)Nation
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
obviously it wasn't kosher. (If ya debone FISH ON the Sabbath, that's WOIK)
glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
You should never eat the foil your baked potato is served in. It make your fillings vibrate.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Ever buy canned salmon? You know how it has bones in it, right?

My sisters and I used to fight over the bones when we were young. I still love them. They're a great source of calcium.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Apparently I'm not supposed to eat this.

When I was young my sister tricked me into trying it. It didn't taste good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2014 10:24 pm
The stones in stone soup.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 02:06 pm
Cardamom pods, star anise and cinnamon sticks.
Banana Breath

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 02:22 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Cardamom pods

I usually eat the cardamon pods. They're rather intensely flavored and the outer pod is rather leathery so I can understand why people wouldn't, but I kind of enjoy the sensory rush.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 03:27 pm
@Banana Breath,
I don't mind them either, it was the saag gosht I had last night that made me post this.
Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2014 04:04 pm
@hingehead,
Cardamon pods at least are better than stumbling on whole dried chili.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 07:02 am
So, I was taking some lessons on how to cook vegetarian meals from a wonderful Sufi man and his wife. Lovely sauces from all kinds of green and yellow pulses.....savory rices...... yum.

But, at one point, the guy is going to add some cardamom.. he pops three or four pods into his mouth, crushes them a bit with his teeth and then.....spits them into the pot.

um.

Joe(I have a mortar and pestle for that)Nation Shocked
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:19 am
@Joe Nation,
My great Uncle worked in India during the Raj. They had a really good pastry chef, turned out he would do the same thing, take a swig of water and spit it in the mixture. He didn't keep his job.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2014 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
I don't think that such is done with the Swedish kanelbullar ( cinnamon rolls with freshly ground cardamom), at least not at IKEA Wink
0 Replies