Can you name some things in your food that you're NOT supposed to eat?

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:55 pm
Don't eat anything that has even touched okra.
hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 04:36 pm
The t-bone in a t-bone. (or chicken or fish et al)

I was going to say prawn heads - but some cultures/people do.

The cob in corn on the cob.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 04:37 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Yes. Soup is a cleverly designed media for the concealment of things one would not ordinarily eat - like vegetables.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:02 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
The t-bone in a t-bone. (or chicken or fish et al)

We had a favourite restaurant in Japan that served small (about 15cm) fish that you were supposed to eat whole. I couldn't to start with but afterwards discovered that the head was the best part. It's also common in Japan to serve the head of larger fish to the most important guest so they can eat the cheek and the eye ... I could never bring myself to pick out an eye and eat it. Luckily I wasn't usually the most important guest.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:07 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I remember dissecting eyes in my comparative anatomy class a long time ago. No way I could eat an eye, then or now, when I'm a lot braver.

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 05:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think I could even watch an eye being dissected.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 06:29 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Well, the animal bodies were in formaldehyde prior to all that, not that that is a delight either. Three of us girls in the lab, ah, the memories.

Changing the subject, some of us oldies at a2k met at a new york times site in the late 1990's/early 2000's; that site devolved but was wonderful off and on. One of the people there was a guy in France, name I'd recognize, who would eat anything.. and to me he was adventurous before Bourdain, but not sure of that. Don't think he ever posted at a2k.
0 Replies

orangeharley

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:31 pm
A pieces of wood that fall down from the ceiling.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 07:34 pm
The pips in a mangosteen.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:26 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
you have to tell folks NOT to eat the clam shells?

Didn't you ever see Daryl Hannah in "Splash?"
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
No way I could eat an eye, then or now, when I'm a lot braver.

There's an episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" in which he has dinner with an Inuit/Eskimo family and is offered a seal eyeball as the guest of honor. If you're brave enough to even watch, here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WjblJnpUs
Banana Breath

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Don't eat anything that has even touched okra.

I just got word from the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce that you have officially been banned for life from their city.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 09:51 pm
@Banana Breath,
If they eat that crap, I don't want to be there.
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:37 am
Watermelon pips - and chewing gum!
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:38 am
Durian in polite company

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/australia-food-blog/2014/oct/01/durian-the-worlds-most-divisive-fruit
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 08:25 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Watermelon pips - and chewing gum!

That reminds me that there are a number of foods you're supposed to chew up and spit out, like gum, though they're not that familiar to most Westerners. One is sugar cane. You chew the cane to extract the sweet juice, then spit out the stringy wad of pulp when there's no more left.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 08:47 am
@edgarblythe,
A friend says there's a good way to cook okra so it isn't slimy, that being frying.
The only time I ever had any was when my mother bought a can of it, and heated it in a saucepan. Ugh. What I don't remember is if my mother and father didn't like it either. Maybe not , since I wasn't made to sit at the table until I cleaned my plate.

I've never eaten gumbo, haven't seen it where I've lived. There's a possibility I'd like it and not have to pick the okra out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:48 pm
Actually, there is a difference between boiled/fried okra and having some in gumbo. I worked in Slidel, La, one summer and there I ordered seafood gumbo, without knowing it had okra in it. The rest of the ingredients were so great that I never detected the okra. So, gumbo, at least that restaurant's seafood gumbo, is not the same as the crap I hate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 12:50 pm
The sticks in popsicles and corndogs.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2014 01:01 pm
I avoid eating shrimp shells, though I often cook the shrimp with them on, and then separate them for making shrimp broth - that or take them off in the first place, and c0llecting them in a freezer bag for future broth. Shrimp costs an arm and a leg here, so this isn't often. Also, the shrimp are generally from halfway around the world, which seems dumb.

But, getting to my point, a friend, the same one who fries and does whatever else with okra, also always eats the shrimp shells.