Brasil: The Best Country of the World!!!!

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:38 pm
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/southamerica/brazil/flag/Flagbig.GIF

Brazil is a vibrant, culturally diverse society that evokes images of the mad passion of Carnival along with the mythic nooks of the Amazon. As the largest and most populous Latin American country, the Federative Republic of Brazil has long ignited the imagination of explorers, scholars and adventurers alike. This regional powerhouse has experienced a vast amount of changes over the last thirty years, including overcoming military governance of the country, in order to become the third largest democracy in the world. As well, tremendous industrial and agricultural development has led Brazil to become South America's leading economic power. At the dawn of the 21st century, the future of Brazil as both a regional and international leader looks bright.

BRAZIL QUICK FACTS

GENERAL INFORMATION

Official Name: República Federativa do Brasil (Federative Republic of Brazil)

Capital : Brasília

Flag : Brazil's flag was introduced after the country's independence in 1822. In 1889 the royal arms were replaced with an emblem of night sky in Rio de Janeiro on the night Brazil became a republic. The emblem also includes the national motto, Ordem e Progresso (Order and Progress).

Anthem : "Hino Nacional do Brasil" ("Brazilian National Anthem")

POPULATION
Population : 173,790,810 (2000 estimate)
Population Density: 20 persons/sq km (53 persons/sq mi, 2000 estimate)
Urban/Rural Breakdown : 80% Urban, 20% Rural (1998 estimate)
Largest Cities : São Paulo 9,839,436
Rio de Janeiro 5,551,538
Salvador 2,211,539
Belo Horizonte 2,691,448
Fortaleza 1,965,513
Brasília 1,821,946
(1996 estimate)

Ethnic Groups : 55% European (primarily Portuguese, Italian, Spanish and German), 38% Mulatto or Mestizo, 6% Black, 1% Other (Asian, Arab, and Native American)
Official Language: Portuguese
Other Languages : Native American languages, German, Japanese, Italian
Religions : 89% Roman Catholicism, 6% Protestantism and 5% Other

ECONOMY
Gross Domestic Product : $820.4 billion (1997)
Chief Economic Products :
Agriculture
Soybeans, coffee, tobacco, sugarcane, cacao beans, beef and poultry
Fishing
Shrimp, lobsters, sardines
Mining
Iron ore, tin, gold, phosphates, platinum, bauxite, uranium, manganese, copper, coal
Manufacturing
Machinery and transportation equipment, food products, textiles and clothing, chemicals

Employment Breakdown : 53% Services, 26% Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing, 20% Industry
Major Exports : Road vehicles and parts, coffee and coffee substitutes, metals, feeding-stuff for animals, transport and aeronautics equipment.
Major Imports : Petroleum, road vehicles and parts, electrical machinery, organic chemicals, industrial machinery and parts
Major Trading Partners :
Exports: United States, Argentina, Netherlands, Japan, Germany
Imports: United States, Argentina, Germany, Japan, Italy
Currency : Real

Exchange Rate : 2,40 reais = U.S.$1 (January 27th 2002)
$0,42 U.S. = 1 reais
1,5 reais = CAD $1
$0,67 CAD = 1 reais

GOVERNMENT
Form of Government : Federal republic

Head of State and Government : President (Elected by the voters to a four-year term)

Legislature : Bicameral legislature

Chamber of Deputies : 513 deputies elected to four-year terms

Senate :81 senators elected to eight-year terms

Voting Qualifications : Compulsory for literate persons aged 18-70; optional for illiterate persons, persons age 70 and older, or persons age 16 or 17

Highest Court : Supreme Federal Tribunal

Armed Services : Army, Navy, Air Force (291,000 active duty personnel; service of 12 to 18 months compulsory for men aged 18 to 45)

Political Divisions : 26 states and one federal district
EDUCATION
Major Universities and Colleges
University of Brasília (Brasília)
University of São Paulo (São Paulo)
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Rio de Janeiro)
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul (Porto Alegre)

IMPORTANT DATES

AD 1500
The Portuguese explorer Pedro Álvares Cabral landed in eastern Brazil and claimed the land for Portugal.

1530s
Successful settlements developed at Recife and Salvador. Portuguese colonists used Native American and African slaves to work huge sugar plantations.

The capital moved from Salvador to Rio de Janeiro, which had become Brazil's largest city and main port.

Pedro I declared Brazil's independence from Portugal.

Slavery was abolished in Brazil.

Pedro II was forced to abdicate, despite Brazil's many advances during his reign. Brazil became a republic.

Military forces overthrew the republic and named Getúlio Vargas as president.

President Vargas was granted dictatorial authority in an attempt to help Brazil out of the Great Depression.

Vargas was forced from office. The next year, Brazil returned to constitutional government.

The capital of Brazil moved from Rio de Janeiro to the newly built city of Brasília in the country's interior.

Seeking to prevent a Communist takeover of Brazil, military forces again seized power. The military rigged elections and curbed civil rights.

Brazil regained a civilian government.

A new constitution providing for a directly elected president was enacted.

Facing impeachment proceedings in the Senate for corruption charges, President Fernando Collor de Mello resigned.

Brazil joined Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay in forming the Southern Cone Common Market, a free-trade organization also known by its Spanish acronym, MERCOSUR.

President Fernando Henrique Cardoso issued a controversial presidential decree allowing non-Native American individuals, regional governments, and private companies to appeal land allocation decisions made by Brazil's Indian Affairs Bureau.

http://www.charlie-musselwhite.com/cr1.gif
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,830 • Replies: 44
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:10 pm
remember, in comparison, its almost the size of the US (3.3 m sq mi, as compared to 3.6 m sq mi for the US) and, if you dont consider Alaswka, the lower 48 states of the US would occupy about 2ooooo sq miles less than Brazil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:27 pm
Good info. Thanks.
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
Brazilian Population:

The Brazilian population is one of the most diverse of the world. People from all over the world have seattled in Brazil, to make it a vast and mixed races country.

The inicial population of Brazil was of 3 million amerindians.

Since 1500, 10 million people immigrated to Brazil, most of them came from Europe, and the others from Africa as slaves and immigrats from Asia and Middle East

The people that more went to Brazil were:

Europeans:

Portuguese: 3.000.000

Italians: 1.500.000

Spaniards: 700.000

Germans: 250.000

Russian (Slavics): 120.000

Other Europeans: 674.318

Total Europeans: 5.810.153

Brazil has one of the largest White population outside Europe, and the largest Portuguese and Italian ones

Africans:

4.000.400 Africans were brought to Brazil as Slaves by the Portuguese

Most of Africans came from Angola, and in less numbers from Mozambique and Nigeria.

Brazil has one of the largest Black populaton outside Africa

Asian Immigrants:

Japanese: 200.000

Koreans: 80.000

Chinese: 50.000

Brazil has the largest Japanese descent population outside Japan

Middle Easter Immigrants:

Syrian-Lebanese- 100.000

Brazil has one of the biggest Arab descent population outside arab countries
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:46 am
Calling Brazil the best country in the world is quite a stretch considering it's checkered and unstable political history.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:00 am
We were on holiday in Orlando, Florida nine years ago when Brazil won the World Cup. We took the kids to Sea World, and at one of the shows a guy sang a song that listed every US State, and then went on to foreign countries. Everyone in the audience was told to clap or cheer when their state or country was sung. This was just a week or two after Brazil won the World Cup, and it seemed that about a third of the audience were Brazilians. It's a wonder I didn't go deaf at the screaming and hollering our fine southern friends did when "Brazil" was mentioned.

But seriously, I've read that Brazil had a very similar experience with African slavery as we had in the American south. With the exception that Brazil was able to end slavery peacefully, and didn't require a fratricidal civil war that claimed 500,000 lives. I'm always impressed when others do things that we are unable to do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:10 am
I worked in Minas Gerias very briefly and saw some safety practices that would drive OSHA nuts.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:17 am
Can you move there to avoid the draft? Very important to me with three draftable cubs.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
Bi- , two words, priest hood.
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:34 am
au1929 wrote:
Calling Brazil the best country in the world is quite a stretch considering it's checkered and unstable political history.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:35 am
Jim wrote:
We were on holiday in Orlando, Florida nine years ago when Brazil won the World Cup. We took the kids to Sea World, and at one of the shows a guy sang a song that listed every US State, and then went on to foreign countries. Everyone in the audience was told to clap or cheer when their state or country was sung. This was just a week or two after Brazil won the World Cup, and it seemed that about a third of the audience were Brazilians. It's a wonder I didn't go deaf at the screaming and hollering our fine southern friends did when "Brazil" was mentioned.

But seriously, I've read that Brazil had a very similar experience with African slavery as we had in the American south. With the exception that Brazil was able to end slavery peacefully, and didn't require a fratricidal civil war that claimed 500,000 lives. I'm always impressed when others do things that we are unable to do.

hahahaha, we luv to party Mr. Green
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
Jim wrote:

Yes, slavery was very big in brazil
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 08:51 pm
I've also heard your Carnival puts our Mardi Gras to shame. We're just going to have to try harder!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:42 pm
Mr Bandiera - more about the Indian Affairs Bureau and land thing, if you please. Sounds interesting.

How did you folk get civilian rule back the second time??? After 21 years?
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:07 am
dlowan wrote:
Mr Bandiera - more about the Indian Affairs Bureau and land thing, if you please. Sounds interesting.

How did you folk get civilian rule back the second time??? After 21 years?

i didnt understand anything u wrote
0 Replies

amolitaliano

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 03:12 pm
Hi
Lately, I've been pretty amazed by the Brazilian culture. I like samba and everything but I wouldnt think it's the most important country in Latin America. Mexico and Brazil both are. But Brazil's literacy rate is very low compared to that of Mexico. Brazil's is 87% whereas in Mexico it's 93%

~Ben~
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:02 pm
hey Mr Bandiera, I see that you live in Minas Gerias. I worked near Rio del Sol in a prospect . Were you born there or are you associated with mining?
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:27 pm
Re: Hi
amolitaliano wrote:
Lately, I've been pretty amazed by the Brazilian culture. I like samba and everything but I wouldnt think it's the most important country in Latin America. Mexico and Brazil both are. But Brazil's literacy rate is very low compared to that of Mexico. Brazil's is 87% whereas in Mexico it's 93%

~Ben~

brazil has 180 million people to teach how to read, while mexico has less than 100 million
0 Replies

Mr Bandiera

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
farmerman wrote:
hey Mr Bandiera, I see that you live in Minas Gerias. I worked near Rio del Sol in a prospect . Were you born there or are you associated with mining?

i was born in belo horizonte, capital of minas gerais...did u like here, i am sure u loved it Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
well, I was always in mining camps . I did like the area around the Barra Grande , I was doing Titanium and diamond sand exploration.

I was in horizonte with some associates to meet with Verena Minerals . Te town seemed that it was planned but got out of control by rapid growth..
The state is a treasure chest for mineral specimen dealers. I think every other peson was in the business of selling amethyst to the states
0 Replies