WINDOWS XP

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:19 am
I only can underline Craven statements re ME: I saw the blue on ME literally every day, too - now with XP Pro the same software (mostly AOL was the reason on ME) runs without problems and all seems faster.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:37 am
I have seen far fewer "Blue Screens" with XP than with any other version of Windows, but I've managed to invoke it a few times.
I'm the "I wonder what will happen if I do X" type, and occasionally discover that "Doing X" was a very bad idea.

For those who detest the BSOD, a simple registry tweak will let you color it anything you want ... your machine is still crashed, but its displaying the color of your choice ....

timber
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:43 am
Mine used to be grey, easy on the eyes. I made a friend's red to make him slap his puter harder. I'm evil sometimes.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 01:50 am
as a "listener" on this thread i've learned something new. fortunately for me i have a couple of mis types that i can call on to help me when i need it. the problem i have with them though, is that they speak a language completely foreign to me. nice to be able to read this thread in simple english. thanks.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:10 am
Chatoyant, glad to hear you got your machine up and running.

More times than not, those floppies are bad or didn't copy correctly, so don't feel bad.

Keep up the good work!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:44 am
Thanks Misti, and everyone for the good information here. Luckily, the things I had on the floppy that didn't work were the least important of any I had copied to save.

This computer is nice! It's so fast I can hardly keep up with it! So far I'm getting along with XP quite well. Of course, if I have questions, I know who to ask.

:wink:
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:10 pm
Chatoyant: I'm amazed at the speed also. My old computer had very little memory and little to no hard drive ... I would be ashamed to tell you how much it actually had.

My my, now we're in with the "faster than the speed of sound" group ... it feels good.

I haven't tried copying CD's yet, that should be another thread, no?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:13 pm
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has Millenium and has never seen the BSOD.....knocking on wood.....
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:49 pm
Misti, I haven't tried copying CD's either. In the tutorial it looked like it would be fairly simple, but whenever I think that it usually turns out to be a huge task.

Rae, you're so not alone! Besides, we love ya no matter what!
Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:58 pm
Aw jeez.....thanks, chatoyant! I needed that!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:14 pm
Rae, I can get you to the BSOD in just a few simple clicks and keystrokes .... shouldn't take a full minute to do ....

timber
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:18 pm
That is SOOOOOOOOOOOO sweet of you, timber!

I'll pass! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:55 pm
Another question please?

On my old computer I had a program for downloading music, but neglected to copy it onto my new computer.

It was called Win xx something.

Can anyone help me?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:17 pm
Was it WinAmp?
www.winamp.com

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:24 pm
Thanks Timber, I think that's it! I'm off to try it:)
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:24 pm
Or maybe WinMX?
http://www.winmx.com/
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:31 pm
It was WinMx Monger, I just logged in .... now if I can figure out how to use it ..............

Thanks so much!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:45 pm
Ah ... a file Sharing App, not a media player ... I misunderstood.
If you do Usenet, there is a WinMX newsgroup at alt.music.mp3.winmx

If you don't do Usenet, I'm sure it's available at googlegroups. There are some pretty knowledgeable users on that board, and you can often get good info pretty quickly

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:56 pm
Thanks Timber, you are a wealth of knowledge:)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:11 am
WinMX is not a good p2p app. I recommend a lite version of Kazaa. If you get the right lite version you will not have spyware.
0 Replies