I've added more and revised a bit..please post opinion

weRborg

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 03:03 am
Hi everyone...

I made a few small revisions to the previous text I had posted here, and I also have added more to the story and appreciate any further comments you may have....

thanks again for your input...

These things I have seen. These words are not made up, like some fabricated tale formed inside a fragile mind unable to deal with life's adversities. No, these events are all historic truths; the way it was, and the way it should be. And if it wasn't for the incomprehensibly foolish actions of only one individual, the way it would be now. But here I am, instead of living the most fulfilling, unimaginable life in a paradise world, I sit here jotting down this history on these scraps of paper afforded me by those who guard these walls of bars and steel . They've told me I can have all the paper I want. The doctors seem to think that by allowing me to write all the illusions they say my mind is conjuring up, I will be able to sort out whatever psychological trauma I endured and get back on the road to sanity. Some of the caretakers are of the opinion that my story is such a quixotic fantasy, that it could possibly even be published as a good science-fiction novel. So, the only thing I can do now is to write everything that has happened in as much detail as I can, in the hopes that someone will read this, and believe that the history I speak of is factual and can happen once again. I am powerless to do anything from where I am now, but I hope this can be read by someone who is not. If that is you, then put the words you are about to read here into action, and correct the wrongs I have suffered on the world, making things again as they should be.

To understand what has happened, we must go back to where it all started. My name is Travis Miles. I grew up in the smallest of small towns; Pe Ell, Washington. It's so small, that a few residents of nearby towns have bumper stickers on their cars that read, "Where the hell is Pe Ell?" There is no police station or even a stoplight; just a tiny post office, and more importantly to most, Big Bucks Tavern. But what it lacks in size, it makes up for in beauty and charm. An hour's drive to the West is the Pacific Ocean, and an hour's drive to the East are the Cascade Mountains. And with the mid-sized city of Centralia only fifteen minutes away, and Seattle only an hour and a half to the North, I can think of no where on earth I'd rather have spent the first 18 years of my life.

Those childhood years were fairly typical. Since there were no schools in Pe Ell, I would catch a ride with my best friend's mother every day. His name was Charlie, and we were as close as brothers; playing, laughing, and telling jokes that only we understood or found amusing. I can't imagine growing up without Charlie. He lived just a couple houses down from me and we spent nearly all our free time together. We used our imagination to create many fanciful games to preoccupy ourselves when we weren't busy with schoolwork. That's what one had to do living in Pe Ell. We built this scale model of a city together out of cardboard, using all the Monopoly houses and hotels for our make-believe families, and created our own skyscrapers and office buildings out of clay or any other material that was lying around. We designed an entire civilization, with its own laws; developments and disasters, weddings and funerals. It was ours, and we took the events that unfolded in our fictitious universe nearly as seriously as those in the real world. Nothing was impossible in our domain, and it instilled us with the notion that the real world was limitless in possibilities as well. But as our youthful lives of worriless games and fantasies were overtaken by the beast of manhood, buoyancy gave way to responsibility, meaningless laughter to the exigencies of life.

Once college rolled around, Charlie stayed close to town, studying performing arts at Centralia Community College. I headed an hour north, to the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma on an academic scholarship. But every weekend I'd drive home, and we'd hang out; now playing our more adult games like, "Who can drink a six pack the fastest?" or, "Who can get the phone number from that hot girl in the pink dress first?" Yes, Charlie and I were as close as ever.

Then, at 11:13pm on the night of Charlie's twenty-first birthday, our lives changed forever. It was only a short fifteen minute drive home from Candy's Bar and Grill, where we had spent a couple hours celebrating with a few close friends and a couple of his not-so-close college classmates who had invited themselves to join us at our table (probably because everyone in the party received a twenty percent birthday discount).The rain started when we were about half way home and I had just turned on the radio in time to hear the last few lines of Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is a Place On Earth. Washington is known for its rain for good reason. No matter how used to driving in treacherous conditions you may be, trying to maneuver down Interstate 5 in a typical Washington downpour, while navigating through the seemingly endless maze of 75 foot semi trucks hauling their loads from Seattle to Portland and beyond, can often feel like playing Russian Roulette with guns the size of an entire sporting goods store.

When we collided with the 18 wheeler, the whole world slowed to a near standstill. It wasn't a devastating impact, but just enough to send the car spinning out of control. It's amazing how many things can cross your mind when death seems imminent. I thought of my mother, and how hard she had tried to make my life abundant; how she had suffered so greatly when my father died in a car accident on a rain-soaked night, and how much deeper her anguish will be in losing her only son in a similar way. I thought of Charlie's mother, who went through the agony of watching her husband die of cancer, and how the whole ordeal made her look so much older than she was. Suffering can do that to a person, I reasoned, in the same way that happiness can take ten years off your appearance. And I thought of Charlie; reflecting on our past jokes and games, and our future dreams and desires that until that moment seemed inevitable to occur. How unfair, it seemed, that a boy would die on his twenty-first birthday. And just as I was getting around to thinking about me, blistering cold water began seeping into the car's interior, and I realized that we had skidded off the freeway straight into the Chehalis River and were sinking fast.

As the car was near to being fully submerged in the freezing water, I glanced over at Charlie as I struggled to open my jammed door. Charlie was pale white, and just sat there, his eyes wide open, and his hands still firmly grasping the steering wheel. "Charlie!" I shouted, "Can you get your door open?" The reality of the situation suddenly seemed to snap into his head. He reached for his door handle, jerked it up and frantically began to push, but the water pressure was making it impossible to open either door. The chilling water had by now nearly enveloped the vehicle, and was continuing to pour in as we scuffled with the doors. Without manual windows, it seemed the only hope was to break the glass, so I began to repeatedly kick my window as the water was now waist high. With no success, I reached back and opened Charlie's toolbox, which he kept inside due to the inconsistent performance of the automobile, and grabbed the hammer. Desperately bashing, cracks began to appear, and suddenly the glass shattered as the river instantly engulfed the car's interior. I looked over at Charlie, motioning him to follow me out the window, and pulled myself out of the car. Nearly out of air, I glanced back to see him following, and quickly headed for the surface. Sticking my head out of the gelid water, I gasped for air as my body felt nearly hypothermic and I waited a second for Charlie to appear. Five seconds passed, ten seconds, twenty seconds; silence. No Charlie. An enormous feeling of terror and loss set in, as I realized he was still in the river, and would not be coming out on his own. I mumbled to myself "Please God," and taking a deep breath of air, I headed back into the frigid river and down towards the now sunken car.

Catching a glimpse of Charlie's motionless body through the murky water, a sense of both relief and panic came over me. I saw that a strap on his jacket had gotten stuck on the door latch. With numbness rapidly overtaking my motor functions, I struggled to free him and pull his limp body to the surface and over to the shore. "Charlie," I said, as I firmly shook him back and forth. Again, this time with an hysteric yell, I cried "Charlie!" But there was no response, so I began pushing his chest and trying my best to do CPR, which I had only learned once, years ago in junior high school. As I continued, I didn't notice the flashlights heading towards us, and glaring lights from emergency vehicles in the distance. The medics approached us and pulled me away; taking over a task that now seemed to be futile. Sitting me down, they quickly covered me with several blankets.

"We need to get you warmed up," I heard a concerned voice utter. By now I barely noticed how freezing and numb I truly was. With a look of reassurance, the gangly rescuer knelt down to where I was sitting and asked, "What happened here?"

Ignoring the question, I anxiously asked, "My friend…is he…?"

"We're doing all we can," he replied in a calm, yet unconfident tone. "We need to get you to the hospital," he continued as he motioned for me to get into the back of the ambulance. Seemingly knowing my next question, he repeated, "We're doing everything we can for your friend, and he'll be taken to the hospital as well."

As the doors of the ambulance closed, I caught a glimpse of Charlie lying flat on a stretcher, being lifted into a separate ambulance. There was a respirator in his mouth, and a medic standing next to him, pumping his chest as I had done earlier. I laid back and drifted out of consciousness.

"Oh.…….pret…., where…………...it?" a voice asked, fading in and out.

"At Bens…..Depart……….ore. I onl…paid fifteen dollars," another answered.

"Well, look whose waking up," one said, in a sweet, soft voice. "Welcome back."

There could be worse things than slowly waking up to two pretty nurses chatting about shopping. My eyes slowly focused on a beautiful face, staring down at me with a gentle smile, her head slightly tilted toward one side. "Go tell his mother that he's awake," she said, looking back at the other nurse. "I think she said she would be in the cafeteria."

"How long have I…been sleeping?" I asked, still not fully alert.

"About three hours," she answered."

Suddenly, a feeling of trepidation and despair came over me, as the events that had occurred earlier in the night came rushing back into my head. Sitting up quickly, nearly bumping heads with the nurse, I asked, "My friend…how's Charlie?"

"He's lucky to be alive. You both are," she replied. "He's still unconscious, but the medics who brought him in said that if it wasn't for your CPR, he wouldn't have made it all."

"May I see…," I began to ask, just as my mother walked into the room with the other nurse. "Oh, thank Jesus!" she shouted, rushing towards me with her arms wide open.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so explaining the events of earlier that night to my mother, nodding my head repeatedly as she kept telling me how the Lord brought me out of the car, because God has a plan for my life. She does that quite often. Whether we are discussing why it rained on a day that it was supposed to be sunny, or why I survived a horrible car accident and saved my friend in the process, with my mother, it's always been, "God has a plan."

Having only suffered some mild hypothermia, I was released the next day. Charlie's condition was much more serious, however. A day went be, then a week, then two weeks. But Charlie lay unconscious, comatose and with no sign of life other than the movement of his chest and an occasional twitching of his eyes. Every day, I'd get up early, thinking to myself, "Today is the day he'll wake up," and every night I'd leave the hospital, despondent and overrun with guilt for not being able to get him out of the car sooner, or not realizing he had gotten stuck on the way out.

Then, on the twenty eighth day since the accident, Charlie's eyes opened. I was in his room at the time, watching the mounted TV and munching on a pack of Double Stuffed Oreos I had just purchased from a vending machine a couple floors down. An irate father was suing his daughter's fiancé for damages to his home and Judge Judy was just about to give her ruling, when I looked over to see Charlie's eyes staring at the television screen. "Charlie!" I nearly shouted, unable to control my excitement and relief. But his head didn't turn towards me; his eyes just continued staring at the screen, with no emotion or awareness of me saying his name. Standing up, leaning over him and looking straight into his eyes, I asked (this time in a much softer voice), "Can you hear me?" Suddenly, a look of recognition appeared on his face, and with a slight smile he nodded his head. A couple seconds later, Trish (one of the same nurses that had been in the room when I regained consciousness) came into the room with a fresh blanket and a pitcher of water, and was nearly as elated as I was when she saw that Charlie was now alert and responsive. I had never experienced a moment of such exuberance in my whole life. Charlie was back, and in a mere five minutes, I had gone from hopeless dejection to a feeling of overwhelming delight.

The next week, a little over a month since our near-fatal collision, Charlie was released from the hospital. It was my primary desire and goal to get our lives back to the way things were prior to the accident as soon as possible. After the first few days, things seemed to be moving in that direction, as we found ourselves once again enjoying a game of one-on-one basketball in my mother's driveway, or sitting at Big Bucks, laughing at the idiosyncrasies of the local ranchers as they strolled in after a long day on the pasture. But things were not the same. Something had changed in the way that Charlie spoke, not just to me, but to everyone around him. While we sat there, observing people as we had on so many prior occasions, he began noticing things about them that he never had before. A faint sigh from a woman's voice somewhere in the far end of the bar, and without hesitation, Charlie would confidently conclude, "She received a call from her mother just this morning. Her aunt was diagnosed with terminal cancer and doesn't have long to live." There was a certainty in his voice as he would meticulously detail the events occurring in the lives around us in a precise and articulate way. At first, I didn't think too much about it. I reasoned that having come so close to death, Charlie was using the possible tragedies and triumphs of other individuals as a reflection of his own recent suffering, and was starting to notice even the minutest details in his surroundings as a way to begin living life to its fullest...

to be continued...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 894 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:59 am
weRborg, I read all of your piece with enthusiasm. The diction is excellent with just the right word choices to create the scene. The flashback is a good touch, because it makes the reader wonder.

Applause!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:22 pm
werborg,

this is really intriguing! And I'm pretty critical. Of course I do have things to criticize and comment on, but overall, I thought this was really interesting and I want to read the rest of the story. I would read a book like this.

now some really trivial comments:
1 - i think Earth is capitalized

2 - loosing should be losing

3 - permeated seems like a bad word choice to me, it gives the impression of water being absorbed by a sponge or osmosis or something...not the violent torrent of high-pressure water filled with glass shards...

some larger comments:
1 - My favorite part is the concept of the story, how this is being written by a madman...and we get a window into his mind which could be true or not...I love it.

2 - I'm curious...did you personally make a model of your city like this when you were younger? Just seems like one of those memories that gets transferred into the story (which is not a bad thing I'm just curious).

3 - This is my biggest criticism...I don't like how you went into the "my whole life flashed before my eyes" stereotype. I've thought that I was going to die in a number of situations, and I get a totally different feeling, and I knwo of other people who have had the same feeling, and it's not only less cliche I think it's more interesting to read about...what I am talking about is a complete peace, in the moment, as one suddenly STOPS caring about all the world and everything. For once in your life, you become TRULY free of all burdens...it is a wonderful feeling, one of happiness, and sadness, and peace...perhaps in a car accident there wouldn't be so much serenity, but I think the mind would be focused in the now rather than flashbacks.

4 - after he pulls his friends body out of the water, I think there should be a longer wait before the ambulance shows up. It just seems TOO quick...and I think there could be some good emotional moments there with him trying and failing the CPR and then laying with his friend and maybe slipping away again before the workers arrive.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:43 pm
WeRborg, First of all, Welcome to A2K. I was revetted to your story; it moved quickly, but still provided much detail of the characters in the story. The verbal scenes provided enough to make the reader see and feel the environment. It's a very good start - I hope you can keep the pace moving forward. Nice to have you aboard as a member of A2K.
0 Replies

weRborg

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 01:32 am
Thank you Letty and cicerone imposter for your compliments, as my main goal is to write something different and enjoyable to read.

Stuh, finding someone with your insight was the main purpose I posted the beginning of the story in the first place. I've even sent it to a couple published author friends, and so far, until your reply, most of what I've gotten back is, "Loved your story! Awesome man!" and "Rock on!" Of course it's great to hear people are enjoying it, which is the main purpose of writing for me, but I knew there were mistakes I couldn't see no matter how many times I looked for them, and I really appreciate you pointing them out to me. As an English teacher in Taiwan, there is no one around here who can read it and point out anything, much less understand half the words.

It's impressive also that you got the impression that the model was a childhood memory. Yes, it is, as is much of this story so far. Since its being written in first person, much of my life is there in the words, including my name, Travis (as the madman). Probably 10 years or so ago I started imagining this story to help me fall asleep at night. Every night I'd add more and more to it. I knew someday I'd write a novel, and there was no better time to start, than while living in a boring place like Taiwan. I decided to write the story I had been imagining at night, rather than think of a whole new idea. I wasn't creating this story in my mind at night though, planning to write it someday. It just was a way to take everything off my mind at the end of the day and help me fall asleep. But, one day I was talking to my girlfriend about how to fall asleep at night, and I ended up telling her my way, as well as the entire story from beginning to end. Judging from her reaction, and hearing myself actually speak the words out loud, I realized it actually makes an entertaining story, so I decided to use it for a novel.

Stuh, if you don't mind, I'd really appreciate your further insights into my writing as I continue. I'd feel better privately mailing you more as I go along, but if you'd prefer me posting it here, that's what Ill do. Just let me know and thanks again.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
Werborg I'd be happy to help, my email is [email protected]
0 Replies

weRborg

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 11:36 am
thanks stuh..I'll mail what I have now and then and look forward to your replies. By the way, I guess I shouldn't write when I first wake up, as earlier I mean I really appreciate you insight, not incite as I previously wrote. I have no explanation as to how I would write that, other than being half asleep.
0 Replies

weRborg

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
thanks stuh..I'll mail what I have now and then and look forward to your replies. By the way, I guess I shouldn't write when I first wake up, as earlier I meant I really appreciate you insight, not incite as I previously wrote. I have no explanation as to how I would write that, other than being half asleep.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
hi, weRborg and stuh505 to the Original Writing category on A2K. It is, alas, a small audience.

I was skeptical of your effort due to your reference to the "fantasy novel writer." Another vacuous sci-fi story. But I was pleased by the detail you put in to describing Pe Ell and your childhood.

My suggestion, Travis, is to continue to flesh out your growing up with Charlie. This was your best friend. You can edit it later on if it's too long but you need to get it all down.

I concede that, as a frequent poster to the Original Writer thread, I am prone to perhaps overly-descriptive writing. Please re-read Catcher in the Rye. -johnboy-
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 03:31 pm
werborg, if you sent me an email I haven't gotten it...

realjohnboy, i would't use catcher in the rye as the standard for excellence
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 05:45 pm
stuh, there is no standard for excellence. There is only a meager measure.

Goodnight.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:53 pm
Stuh: As I am sure you are aware, Catcher has been banned, unbanned, revered and reviled since it first appeared in public. I wasn't aware that it is apparentally being dismissed as you describe it.

I'm not criticizing werbog for employing a plot-line similar to Catcher. I'm sure you have learned that all novels are based around only a couple of handfuls of similar themes: sex, death, deceit etc.

My compliment to werbog was about his taking the time to become descriptive rather than racing forward with action and more action.

Do you remember when Holden's friend is going out partying and asks Holden to write a story for him for a class? Holden asks about what and his friend replies "I don't care. Just make it descriptive as hell." And Holden did. -realjohnboy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:50 pm
Ah, how provocative things become when they are banned. The most descriptive things are the simplest.

Kipling was banned because he wrote a poem, "Take up the White Man's Burden." His beautiful short story, "Without Benefit of Clergy" was ignored.

Rules are made because they are expected to be broken:

We do the things we oft were want to do,
Put our foot in the wrong sized shoe,
Slippers of glass
Crystalline past
Examined under the microscope of today,
Expire and then return to bay.

Cold wolf moon.

And might I say, RJB. You need make no apologies for The Catcher...

Holden was like most kids...If it doesn't go my way...

I'll disappear.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
Quote:
Do you remember when Holden's friend is going out partying and asks Holden to write a story for him for a class? Holden asks about what and his friend replies "I don't care. Just make it descriptive as hell." And Holden did. -realjohnboy

yeah, I remember this...and this is why I found cather in the rye such a dull book. It was about nothing, it was description about nothing...nothing worth describing. And Holden's character didn't seem very extraordinary to me...but maybe that's just because we're so alike.
0 Replies

weRborg

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
Thanks for your compliments realjohnboy about my writing. I assure you though that I am not trying to follow a plot line similar to "Catcher" because I have never read the book, and the only things I know about it is that it was controversial and a boy named himself after one of its charaters, before killing himself in the movie "The Good Girl."

I don't mean to have overly descriptive writing, which maybe I should cut back on, especially after realizing that after a couple completed chapters of the novel, I'm still not at the first line of my outline for the book. I think I'll just write what keeps coming to my mind, and if the final novel turns out to be way too long, I'll do some editing.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:41 pm
weRborg...welcome back. We kind of thought we'd lost you. Would you believe that your story came up in a couple of discussions off of a2K?
Some of us, or at least johnboy, have trouble with the notion that you have never read Catcher (or in the case of stuh505 read it but found it "dull")
It, along with stuff by Kerouac (I can never get the spelling of that right) and a few others defined our generation in the 1960's or thereabouts.
May I ask how old you are?
Keep writing, dude. -johnboy---
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:25 pm
and should you ever think of writing poetry:

CHRIST climbed down
from His bare Tree
this year
and ran away to where
there were no rootless Christmas trees
hung with candycanes and breakable stars

Christ climbed down
from His bare Tree
this year
and ran away to where
there were no gilded Christmas trees
and no tinsel Christmas trees
and no tinfoil Christmas trees
and no pink plastic Christmas trees
and no gold Christmas trees
and no black Christmas trees
and no powderblue Christmas trees
hung with electric candles
and encircled by tin electric trains
and clever cornball relatives

Christ climbed down
from His bare Tree
this year
and ran away to where
no intrepid Bible salesmen
covered the territory
in two-tone cadillacs
and where no Sears Roebuck creches
complete with plastic babe in manger
arrived by parcel post
the babe by special delivery
and where no televised Wise Men
praised the Lord Calvert Whiskey.

Just letting you know that there are still hippies and rebels out there. Cool

From Ferlinghetti.

RJB, Keoruac ? and the beat goes on....<smile>
0 Replies

weRborg

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 06:42 pm
johnboy..I'm 33 years old. I'd go down and buy the book right now, but it would be very hard to find here in Taiwan. "Catcher' is a book that is often read in high school, right? I remember it on a list of books I could have used for a book report, but I chose Utopia by Thomas Moore instead. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. I'll try to get my hands on a copy of "Catcher" if possible.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 07:46 pm
weRborg...good evening...It's no big deal about Catcher. I brought it up because your plot had a similar twist: a tragic event with the narrator ending up in an asylum. That was not intended as a criticism.
My intention was to compliment you for taking the time to flesh out the relationship between these two guys rather then going right to the action of the car wreck. I suggested that you spend more not less time on that.
In Catcher, Holden agrees to write a story for his friend, who is going out partying. Holden asks what it should be about. His friend says it doesn't matter, as long as it is "descriptive as hell."
Holden writes a long story about the baseball mitt that belonged to his (dead) little brother
Maybe it's no longer relevent to a 33-year old or to today's teanagers, but for a lot of us it was the seminal book of our youth. -johnboy-
0 Replies