MorbidMatt

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:15 pm
@emchugh4,
or it might be anthropomorphic fallacy.
0 Replies

mddvip

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:02 pm
@emchugh4,
OMG emchug4, my sister and I have been trying for years to remember what the term is, and cannot figure it out! Please, someone, help!
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:17 pm
melancholy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 03:26 pm
@nikki99,
nikki99 wrote:
...what is it called when it always seems to be raining when you're depressed...

This is called "magical thinking".
0 Replies

mt

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:55 am
pathetic fallacy is personification, it isn't that i was looking for. it is when you are in a bad mood and it is stormy outside, or you fall in love and the day is clear and fresh and sunny. what is that word?
0 Replies

locky

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:19 am
yeah there is definitely a word for this. Pathetic fallacy comes close... but that's not it. We studied this in Leaving Cert Engish (Irish High School finals).
Oh how I wish Mr Kennedy was a forum user... he'd have the answer!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:31 am
I think one could also go with "coincidence".
solipsister

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:55 am
@DrewDad,
how prosopopoetic
DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:03 am
@solipsister,
Don't be a douchebag.

(Antiprosopoeia....)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 10:52 am
It's called an "objective correlative."
0 Replies

richlake

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:51 am
its not the weather that is adjusting the persons behaviour/ mood (like S.A.D or winter blues or whatever). Its that the weather appears to be simulatingthe mood of the person. An example i canthink of off the top of my headis in a film i saw recently called silent light. a couple are driving across a vast landscape, both destressed and close to tears. the sky darkens as they drive along, becoming more and more upset. the wife stops the car andgets out, there is thunder. she runs across the plain to a tree as it starts to rain and she dies. The weather is reflecting her inner termoil.

i think pathetic fallacy is the closest we have so far.
taadler123

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:58 pm
we always called it a form of dramatic irony. hope that helps.
0 Replies

justaguywhois

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:03 pm
Close, but it's not "pathetic fallacy." Quite literally, a pathetic fallacy is a misapprehension of something (environment, art, nature, etc.) based upon one's mood - an error in reasoning or perception (fallacy) due to one's emotion (pathos). A pathetic fallacy can include weather, but it is not the "reflecting" of mood or internal conflict to which you're referring.

See http://www.victorianweb.org/technique/pathfall.html for an elaboration of this term by Ruskin, the person who coined the term in 1856 (?) - a site maintained by Professor George P. Landow of Brown University.
0 Replies

justaguywhois

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:14 pm
@richlake,
Rich - it's portrayed really well in the movie _Taps_ as well. As the conflict in the story intensifies, the weather continues to deteriorate until it's a raging storm. After resolution, the rain stops.

It's not "pathetic fallacy," as this is more of a projection of a character's mood onto his/her situation - he perceives and describes his world based on his mood.
0 Replies

justaguywhois

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 05:15 pm
@MorbidMatt,
nope.
0 Replies

powderedtoastgirl

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 01:12 am
@emchugh4,
I've been thinking about this, too. I've been trying to remember this for an essay, and I remembered talking about it in another literature class a few semesters ago. It's not pathetic fallacy, though they are kind of in the same vein..I was thinking it had something to do with projection. Psychological projection? I know that's not quite right..false projection? Meh. I hope somebody remembers!
0 Replies

justaguywhois

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 08:44 pm
Objective correlative (per Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms).
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 04:32 am
@justaguywhois,
Might be right.

Joe(two years plus to get an answer)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
"mood congruent"
0 Replies