Smarty Jones

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:06 pm
Now there's a horse with a personality and a great name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 37
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:48 pm
I watched the first two races. So far, I believe Smarty will win the triple crown. Amazing animal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
Hes got that Chester County attitude. This is a hometown horse that probably has more personality than anyone since , hell i have no idea, but its neat. We have GO SMARTY banners in town , and everybody has Smarty Jones caps.

Smarty was born in Franklin Township near Newark Delaware , and is owned by a real workin class family who built a car dealership empire from nuthin.
The horses life mirrors Seabiscuit fairly closely except Smarty was almost lost due to a major sinus and eye orbit fracture.

He wasnt even out of breath after the Preakness. When he finished his ears were perked up like he was loafing in the paddock all day. I hope we see a great race. I have no idea what odds are, but I imagine you aint gonna win much
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:24 pm
I saw the odds earlier. The article said they were dropping. I wouldn't waste any money on this one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:37 pm
I know nothing about betting horses. I caught it just now as 5 to 2. Does that mean that if you bet 5 bucks you win 2 plus your bet?

So if I bet 5 million , I can make 40% return? . thats Better than the market.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:12 pm
5 to 2. It's improving now, then. I am pretty sure you are correct. Generally in these races, the favorite has lost in the recent past.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
Here's the handsome guy winning at Pimlico: http://images.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2004triplecrown/photos/2004-05-15-smarty-inside.jpg
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 08:07 am
he is handsome guy! i love how he's always mugging for the camera. yesterday there was a picture in the paper of him hamming it up, looking kind of coy while nuzzling his muzzle into another horse.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 11:33 am
Go Smarty Go! I'll be cheering for the local boy. Cool
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
There have been quite a few horses who have won the first two legs of the Triple Crown only to falter at the last and longest. I'm not a TV watcher so can someone help with when and on what network it will be on? Thanks. Go, Smarty.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
There have been quite a few horses who have won the first two legs of the Triple Crown only to falter at the last and longest. I'm not a TV watcher so can someone help with when and on what network it will be on? Thanks. Go, Smarty.

The Belmont Stakes will be telecast on NBC. Post time for the race is 6:38 EST.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=belmontstakes&prov=st&type=lgns
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
I'm watching it right now in hi def. I think Smarty is going to do it.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 04:48 pm
1 to 5. What does that mean re the betting?
AND THEY'RE OFF!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 04:52 pm
And Smarty loses
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
What a heart stopping few minutes. Wonder if the length of the track was again the factor? The speed but not the stamina.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:10 pm
I sort of expected Rock Hard to take it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:14 pm
ahhh ****. Hes still a neat little guy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
Wait a minute now, farmerman; didn't you just lose five million on "the little guy?"
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:25 pm
ain't it wierd? ain't horse racing wierd? A bunch of very rich owners with beautiful families and small jockeys, typically from Hispanic countries, in a contest that lasts for a mere two minutes. All determined by an animal that certainly does not appreciate that millions of people are watching and millions of dollars have been bet on the outcome and millions more will change hands in stud fees if he does well.
It's certainly not an American phenomenon. But it's wierd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
Gambling on horses will never be an exact science, I'll wager.
0 Replies