How often do you let your dog offleash

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 07:55 am
@boomerang,
A dog is free, they are all over, you can even get a collar, leash, bag of food and spay neuter included in the package, which is free. That said I paid $40.00 for all of that when I adopted my last dog from a shelter. You are correct in that vet bills can add up, and in fact this is the only thing on the chart that is rational in my opinion. The other thing, that the chart does not factor in, is the value and companionship of a good friend, which if a value could be put on this, would be in the several hundred million dollar range.

Love is the way.
boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 08:32 am
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Shelter dogs here are about $200.

Here's the shelter near my house: http://www.familydogsnewlife.org/category/adoptable-dogs/

The Humane Society shelter: http://www.oregonhumane.org/adopt/dogs_puppies.asp#.VIW1cXvCY7k

Even rehoming a dog off craigslist will cost you about $200
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 08:50 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
They also didn't factor in the cost of the dog itself. Here, adopting from a shelter can set you back $250 easily.

While not part of the price to care for a dog Newfoundlands can easily cost nearly $2,000 to obtain.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:33 am
@hawkeye10,
However you can get a dog, and a spay and neuter, for free. Just contact any rescue.....
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:37 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
They also didn't factor in the cost of the dog itself. Here, adopting from a shelter can set you back $250 easily.

While not part of the price to care for a dog Newfoundlands can easily cost nearly $2,000 to obtain.

And if they bring their dog with them, then you will have to feed and care for it as well.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 09:45 am
@boomerang,
You just tell them that you have no money, either they give you a free dog, or they kill the dog that they did not give you. The choice then is up to them, and you get a free dog. True they charge a fee to keep illegal entities from using their service to obtain animals for various illegal means. However, again, they will be happy to give any dog a good home.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 10:45 am
I have a schipperke

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUgjmsySDzq8tW97SkIJ_jOJxThkPaJkNcKYhUNDdqcENV3hMA8OHfeA

He is typically off leash - we live own about an acre in which a good part is wooded. He is well trained and comes running when we call him. The only time it is difficult is winter - as there are not the natural boundaries on one side of us - and we need to make sure he does not wonder in our neighbors yard as we want to maintain having a good relationship with them. Also out front even with a large front yard if someone comes by walking a dog he is off like a bullet to make friends -- not all dogs are friendly as he is.

He is only leashed when needed - as in going for walks and going out and about as we have leash laws.

We even travel cross country with him on planes as he is small enough to come in the cabin - he particulary loved our trip to Carmel where dogs are king - he got to go into Tiffany's where they have dog treats and water and run free on the beach there.

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2014 11:09 am
@Linkat,
Excellent................
0 Replies