High School Student Needs Help Managing and Balancing Out Time

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:57 pm
Recently, I have been getting into lots of verbal arguments with my parents because they say that I am not managing my time very well and that I am addicted to my cell phone. I am involved in Boy Scouts and participate in a few other activities (like marching band/drumline), so I have quite a bit of work to do. The problem is that I have quite a bit of time on my hands, but I spend most of it on my phone. I need to figure out a way to balance out my time well enough that I can get all of my work done (homework, practicing and memorizing music, merit badges, e.t.c), but still manage to have a little bit of time for myself. I do not want to put a schedule in place because having a schedule stresses me out too much because I try to get my work done in the designated amount of time. I've also noticed that I've been getting slower and slower at completing my work. What are some ways that I can start getting into the habit of getting a little bit of that work done, but still manage to balance out my time? How can I ensure that I stick with it and continue to get my work done? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 772 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 07:14 pm
@bballfleming,
Well, you may need to adhere to some form or another of a schedule, even if you don't like them. What about setting a reminder on your phone, to put it away after 30 minutes or whatever? There are ways to get work done on a computer without being distracted by the Internet (e. g. don't open a browser window).

You might also want to operate on a small rewards system. That is, you get an hour's worth of homework done or three pages written of a paper or memorizing a musical piece or whatever unit is substantial and makes sense to you, and reward yourself with 15 minutes of phone time and use a timer so that you don't go over.

Kids in High School often have time management issues, so you're not alone, but you'll need to do some prioritizing. Maybe even work with your folks on this, and develop incentives if you can keep it together. Whatever those positive incentives are, make them something that your folks are willing to give you, and you want, but they're not so easy to achieve. An incentive might be a later curfew for a month, or an iTunes gift card, or whatever appeals to you. But these bigger rewards would have to be earned after some heavier lifting by you. An hour of doing uninterrupted homework shouldn't be enough for these, but maybe an hour of doing uninterrupted homework for a month might make sense and be proportionate.
0 Replies