Quarentined?

Pitter

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:35 pm
My Norton anti-virus program says it has a virus quarentined that it can't fix. What exactly does that mean. Is the virus affecting my computers operation of what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 842 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Nirvana

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:26 pm
If you are running XP or ME then you need to 'flush' sytem restore as your anti-virus programme doesn't have access to it.

1. On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check Turn off System Restore.
5. Click Apply, and then click OK.
6. Restart the computer.

All data, including your virus, will be purged from the restore folder.

7. Run your antivirus once more.

After rebooting, re-enable System Restore.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:33 am
Ok I see how that works on the controle panel but won't I lose data that I want to keep such as favorits list and so on?
0 Replies

Nirvana

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:50 am
You won't lose anything except the virus. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 09:37 am
Pitter,

Why don't you just have Norton delete it? I have yet to see any AV program fix any virus for me this year.

Would deletion of the infected file be a problem for you?
0 Replies

BILL GATES

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
SILLY IDEAS CRAVEN, U CAN'T JUST DELETE SYSTEM FILES THAT ARE INFECTED BY VIRUSES. USE THE RESTORE ROUTE RESTORING EVERYTHING BUT THE VIRUSES
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:43 am
BILL GATES wrote:
SILLY IDEAS CRAVEN, U CAN'T JUST DELETE SYSTEM FILES THAT ARE INFECTED BY VIRUSES. USE THE RESTORE ROUTE RESTORING EVERYTHING BUT THE VIRUSES

You do not know what you are talking about. System restore should be disabled in any occurance of a virus.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 03:59 pm
I did try "delete" and indeed it seems to have dissapeared. So you mean just hitting delete on a virus in quarentine wipes it out of your system? Sounds too easy. Also why does Norton quarenteen it? Why doesn't Norton just delete any viruses it finds?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:07 pm
Pitter wrote:
So you mean just hitting delete on a virus in quarentine wipes it out of your system?

That's what it is supposed to do. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes viruses hide in the system restore backup for example. Which is just one reason why one of the suggestions given to you here is absurd (another reason is that system restore does not delete documents but restores registry and things like that so it is ineffective against most viruses).

Quote:
Also why does Norton quarenteen it? Why doesn't Norton just delete any viruses it finds?

You can set Norton AV to do so. They quarantine because sometimes they want to give users a shot at repairing the file.

For some users in some cases, the file may be more important than other considerations.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:09 am
Thank you Craven, very nicely explained.
0 Replies