AA question

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:14 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

In fact Bill, here is a thread from long ago, where I was more inclined to exercising my fingers on the keyboard.....

http://able2know.org/topic/145152-1

Why did this get a thumb down....?

I just visited that thread, and a lot of good things were said.

If someone asks a question, and a link is provided that gives the info better than recreating the wheel, it should be visited.

Actually, I just spent a pleasant 20 minutes or so rereading it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:33 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

chai2 wrote:

That's true Bill. You don't know a lot about them.

You probably don't hear a lot about what goes on there.

I've been to AA and NA meetings. What goes on People share their experiences of inebriety and sobriety. Have a cup of tea or coffee and chat. Go home. I've never seen anything else.

Wilso, that's because you're a good family man. You go, have a cuppa, then go home to your loving wife and kiddos.

I have seen a number of women, who come in unsure, scared and confused have men try to take advantage of them. I give a couple examples on the other thread.

That's why one thing I'm grateful for is that at the first meeting I went to (there were only 2 other people, 2 men), I was treated the way I was. One of the men was like you, a family man. After that small meeting, he asked me if I wanted to stay for the next meeting, coming up in another half an hour. He waited with me, keeping me engaged, and when some women showed up for the next meeting, he led me to them. He made sure they knew I had just shown up. At the time I had no idea of this, but they were keeping me close, giving me their phone #'s, walking me to my car. I'm not saying this like someone was going to jump out and rape me. But it was very important that I initially developed relationships with women. I was point blank told "Stay with the women for awhile." I know I would have easily been taken advantage of, on an emotional level.
One day I was the one saying that to some pretty young thing that I'd managed to get next to her before that creep that had been eyeing her all night did.
BTW, that goes the other way two. Women can be predators as well.

Others can scoff if they like, but people from all walks of life are there. Including people that will gladly take advantage of others. Some really bad apples. Some really great people, but you don't know who those are at first.

You may not see it Wilso, because your radar doesn't need to be attuned to it.

One cliche I do agree with is:
You have a drunken horse thief and you sober him up, you have a horse thief.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 08:34 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
If you want to know the success rate, google it. I'm not here to spoon feed statistics to you. If something I said piques your interest, none of what I've said is a state secret, and can easily be found.

Perhaps but it was you who stated that their success rate was tiny so asking you to back that statement up does not seems unreasonable to me.

Then you're wrong. It is unreasonable if you can easily look it up yourself.

I don't believe you have any real interest in obtaining information in any form. You just want to bait and start arguments. My participation in your remarks like this end here. Either look it up, read the other thread, or go walk your dog. You don't interest me.
BillRM

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 05:20 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I don't believe you have any real interest in obtaining information in any form

That is your right to have your silly opinion as my wife tell me from time to time.
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:27 am
@chai2,
I know how to google.
And I did and then I came here to ask because website is not a real life person who can tell me what I need to know and you don't have to participate if you are annoyed!!!
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:42 am
@Wilso,
What can working person share 3 times per week with people?
Like today I went to work, worked and came to meet you and tomorrow I will not come to see you so I will do something else?
Is everyone supposed to share every meeting? Or you can just listen? And how is this helping not to drink? Can't you drink right after the meeting? I don't get it
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:49 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Here....click on this nice link below and you will learn everything you need to know. Then, you will not have to ask any more questions about it here, because it even provides a phone number for you to call and ask anything else.
It will provide much more information than anyone here can.

http://www.aa.org/
Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 08:53 am
@chai2,
I rather to ask here. Do you mind? You can call this number for me and post whatever you find out Smile
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 09:15 am
@Eliusa,
Some people go to AA multiple times in a single day.

They go as often as they want or need to.
Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
So they don't work?
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:18 am
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:

I rather to ask here. Do you mind?

I don't care either way.

It just seems like a moronic, attention seeking way to do it, when you could be asking these questions all in one fell swoop to a real live person who can give you the answers you say you seek.

But, I don't mind if you're an attention whore, drama queen, moron either.

Carry on.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:20 am
@Eliusa,
Some do. Some don't.

There are meetings around the clock in the city I live in. People can go to meetings in the morning, during the day, in the evenings, overnight.
Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:28 am
@chai2,
Yes I am all in one, like those printers (attention whore, drama queen, moron)...you know?

And what kind of fun is it to listen to one person? Would anyone told me it is cult over the phone? Seriously? But here...I've got too read awesomely questionable article. So you are wrong and if you don't care - stop freaking out. So much for 'I don't care' attitude!!!
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
Well...I had no idea but now I have a lot! Thanks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 01:11 pm
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:

So they don't work?

I have no idea, but it's an interesting question.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 03:28 pm
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:

What can working person share 3 times per week with people?
Like today I went to work, worked and came to meet you and tomorrow I will not come to see you so I will do something else?
Is everyone supposed to share every meeting? Or you can just listen? And how is this helping not to drink? Can't you drink right after the meeting? I don't get it

You don't have to go 3 times a week.
You don't have to share anything if you don't want to.
I can't answer how it would help you. Every individual is different.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 03:45 pm
Wilso wrote:
Every individual is different.

Or indifferent.

Who knows, ;-)
0 Replies