Random observations

sozobe

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 05:16 am
@dlowan,
Bah.

I probably would've heard about it today anyway, but Facebook adds to my annoyance. (Well, as long as X wasn't there... oh my god there she is too! Grr.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm
So, umm ... quick advice question ... when you suspect that your boss might just be interested you, as more than a colleague I mean (or a friend for that matter) -- I guess it's pretty much always a bad idea to test it, huh, even if she's very cool and your age...?
patiodog

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
@nimh,
Depends on how attached you are to the job.
dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:07 pm
@patiodog,
What he said.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 04:44 am
@patiodog,
Yeah, that seems about right...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:22 am
love the job ... just been here two months now.
sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 04:10 pm
@nimh,
That's great! Glad you love the job, no matter what else happens.

My involvement with E.G. went against one of my most sacrosanct rules -- don't date anyone who lived in the same house as me -- and I'm glad I violated it. Boss in a job you love, though... that's extra-fraught. I think definitely don't test, but see where things go and then make a judgment call if the issue becomes unavoidable. While continuing to keep an eye out for other promising paramours.
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
She said paramours!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:34 pm
It's not hte relationship that you ned to be carefull of, its the ending of the relationship.
Discuss breaking up before entering into said relationship.
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:36 pm
@dadpad,
Erm...that's a great idea...but I would say that emotion often overweighs such rationalaties at the moment of truth, so to speak.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:11 am
paramours is definitely a good word.

dadpad you're right, of course - re relationships and the workfloor, it's not the getting together thats the problem really, its the breaking up - but yeah, discussing breaking up before you even begin? complicated.

specially because relationships dont usually begin at some set point either, you just drop into doing stuff and only over time figure out what it's about and whether / where it's growing ...

anyway, thanks for all of your advice!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:58 pm
Using gasoline instead of lighter fluid can lead to the smell of burnt hair on one'd fingers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:33 pm
Disney blurred the mom's cleavage on "Wizards of Waverly Place." It wasn't extreme cleavage -- they showed it in long shots, but in closeups, blurred. Weird.

http://www.webtvwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wizards-of-waverly-place-logo.jpg

The mom's in the pink sweatshirt. No cleavage.

Cleavage:

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/lc/imagen_awards_220809/maria_canals-barrera_2546241.jpg

There was a bit less than that when they blurred. C'mon...
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:27 pm
@sozobe,
I think it's a necessary part in the education of Disney's audience. Without the blurring, boys may not know what to obsess about once they become teenagers.
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:39 pm
@Thomas,
That's it.

Found it on youtube. Quality is bad so the blurring isn't as pronounced but you can still tell, starting around the 1 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqcMD86sOww
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@sozobe,
Wow -- move over, Janet Jackson!
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 03:12 pm
@Thomas,
srsly
sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:22 pm
@sozobe,
note to self: if you are talking to someone, then go inside, then feel something on your teeth, then check reflection, then see that some of the chili you just had for lunch is still on your teeth... cleaning it off SUPERFAST does not, in fact, have any effect on whether the person you were talking to five minutes ago saw the chili remnants on your teeth.
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:40 pm
@sozobe,
Still worth removing, though.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:41 am
I have always been fascinated by the American tradition of gerrymandering: the art of shaping Congressional districts to maximize the number of seats for the incumbent party. But only as a theory. In practice, I assumed, this was one of those curiosities that only affect other people. So imagine my surprise this morning. To write to my Congressman that he should hold his nose and pass the Senate's healthcare bill, I looked up which Congressional district I was living in. And -- well -- here's what it's shaped like:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/NJ06congressdistrict.gif

Looks like a blot on a Rohrschach test, doesn't it? Gerrymandering really happens!