Random observations

nimh

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 02:42 pm
the Zwinkies arent all emo anymore
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 04:31 pm
Why do you talk like a Chinaman, she asked, in Hungarian.

Because I'm Dutch, I explained.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:45 pm
People dislike old hippies because they talked a hell of a lot about doing your own thing, all the time doing what everybody else did. Almost every old hippie I know sold out early on and got the same **** everybody else did

(a beat old car that always broke down)

(or had a hole in the floor for watching the road go by, like our Rambler had)

(a kid)

(a career)

(in that order)

(a vcr)

(a big fat mortgage)

(a bleeding ulcer to cover up a bleeding heart)

Even the Doors pop up in commercials now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:46 pm
Not true of all of 'em, of course. But enough to make an impression on people.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:03 pm
On a side note; I wonder why no product has ever been called Soylent Green (yet)? Imagine the free advertising it would receive. I wish I had such a product.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:19 am
Why is it that the cars that are antisocially parked, illegally, right across the cyclepath, so you have to brake and squirm around them, are always the most expensive, fancy models?

Does it prove that in capitalism, it's always the bastards who get to the top?

Made me remember reading that the rich give relatively least to charity, and the poor, most..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 06:41 pm
The sumptuous new Gozsdu Udvar they're (re)building in Kiraly Street is protected, the little plates on the fence say, by

DIS
Security.

Somehow DIS-Security doesnt sound like the best name for a security company.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:52 am
In English, the machines that you throw your coins in, in the hope that one day you might win big, are called slot machines - after the slot you put your coins in, I suppose. A functional description.

In Dutch they're called gokmachines - gambling machines. A more substantive description.

In Hungarian, in an aytypically optimistic twist, they're called nyerőgépek. Literally, "winning machines".

I wonder if there are more gambling addicts here than elsewhere. Somebody should research that sometime..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:14 pm
Wasabi-flavoured chocolate is distinctly an acquired taste.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 04:15 pm
nimh wrote:
Wasabi-flavoured chocolate is distinctly an acquired taste.

I can just imagine
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:46 pm
In the category "well, duh":

Quote:
carlamarieweir says:

We've had bad hermit crab experiences over here....those are definitely not pets I don't care what they say at the mall....

Jacob Krejci says:

Carla-They did nothing but sit in thier shells.....when I tried to "play" with them all they did was pinch me.....Not the world's cuddliest pet
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:58 pm
Yeah, any idiot knows you're much better off with a sea urchin...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
patiodog wrote:
Yeah, any idiot knows you're much better off with a sea urchin...

Actually, I have seen many hermit crab pets which seem very gemutlich, and which scutter around their enclosure, with other hermit crab friends, and are quite reactive and interactive.....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
http://www.soylent-green.com/sglogo.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:49 pm
In the category unfortunate spelling errors..:

Quote:
b2b - www.headscarves.org/ - wraps scarves headcovering for soreowners in wholesale

Yeah, better cover that sore up..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 05:42 am
OK, I know that I need more fibre in my diet but..

<pulls thread from prepackaged cookie>

..this is ridiculous.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 06:26 pm
Did you ever notice that - when you see an ad for some dating site or partnership service or whatnot on a website, or in a magazine even - ok, they'll almost always have a man and a woman, right? But 9 out of 10 times, just look next time you see one, the woman will be watching at the camera, and the man will be watching at the woman.

Its like - she's the prize, he's there to admire his prize. She knows she's the prize, hence the "look at me" focus on the eye of the camera - and his role is supportive or, if you will, subservient. Something f@cked up about that.

Whats the subtext of the message here? Do men instinctively just look for a beauty to stare at/ogle, enjoy, and/or show off - and women primarily for a man who will make them feel good about themselves, admiring and cherishing them? Not too much of a personality of his own, please, he's there to make her shine. Something like that?

Neither a particularly healthy instinct to appeal to. But I'm sure the admakers know what they're doing, know the unglorious instincts they can subconsciously 'hook' customers with - its their business.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 02:31 pm
The air is exactly body temperature:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/temperature.jpg
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 02:38 pm
Is there a reason all the scallies round here walk about with one hand down their pants?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:21 pm
Every once in a while, it hits home just how nonsensical a food deepfreeze pizza is. I mean, as dinner.

Just the other day, I bought one - Pepperoni! - Aight. Tore off the plastic packaging. There was a grand total of seven tiny little, pink-width slices of pepperoni, concentrated roughly in the pizza's southwest corner.

OK, so for this once, I checked out the ingredients list. Here goes. Total weight: 330 grams. Ingredients: flour, water, tomato puree .. mozzarella cheese! 10,6%. "Minipepperoni salami", 6,1%. Bellpepper, less than that.

OK, so 6,1% of 330 grams .. thats ... 20 grams!? Twenty grams (0.7 oz) of salami?! And.. 10,6% times 330 is.. 35 grams (1.2 oz) of cheese.

Ma-an.. might as well eat a sammich.
0 Replies