Would you bet against your own team?

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
The Euro2004 Football championships start next weekend in Portugal. As an Englishman, I'd like to see England do well (even if MyOwnUsername's Croatia beat us). Maybe they will win it. :wink:

Not that likely. In fact, it's not even certain that they'll qualify from the group stage to the quarter-finals. Embarrassed

Anyway, I digress. Where I was going with this is that England's first game is against the mighty French. Some may call them cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys, but I call them damn good footballers. I'm sorely tempted to bet on France to win at evens or 4/5 as I think it's a good price. The only thing holding me back is my somewhat warped sense of national pride. I'll have to sit and watch the game, hoping that my country lose. Crying or Very sad

Would you bet against your team just to make a quick buck?

I'm all confused - can anyone help?! Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,911 • Replies: 21
No top replies

BillW

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:47 am
Isn't there a few options; such as - NO Question
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:55 am
There was, honestly! I'm not sure where it went. I'll edit right away. Thanks Bill.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:34 am
Actually, I don't bet Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:38 am
Re: Would you bet against your own team?
Grand Duke wrote:

Would you bet against your team just to make a quick buck?

Never. And I've lost a few bucks because of it.
(That said, I wouldn't bet the rent on England.)
The lads holding the trophy aloft will be wearing blue jerseys.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
I did bet once against my own country (way back at the '76 Olympics). I happily lost the bet.

Never again.

Now, with my football team is different.
It's UNTHINKABLE for me to bet against it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
Sure. I don't bet very often and never much but my fav American football team is thw New Orleans Saints. The odds are usually pretty good that they'll lose. Anyone that bets on them to win more than 2 or 3 times in any one season is nuts! Very Happy
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:58 pm
I would do it if I really want them to win Smile

So far, in my betting career I was amazingly wrong whenever I bet on croatian teams on international level. When I bet on them they were losing against worst teams ever. When I bet against them they were shockingly winning against huge favourites.

So, Grand, if I bet on England against Croatia you can be sure that we will win - I'll inform you so that you can earn few bucks Wink

But, I generally never bet on really important games - some international friendlies or not really important qualifying game, maybe few times against my team in UEFA cup when they play against someone really good (that's how Dinamo Zagreb played 0-0 in Manchester Smile )
0 Replies

Ionesco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:40 pm
Pffff I'm Canadian and I'd bet against my soccer team anytime. Anyone has 5 box to bet for Canada to win the next world cup, I'll bet against ?!?!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 02:40 pm
Ionesco wrote:
Pffff I'm Canadian and I'd bet against my soccer team anytime. Anyone has 5 box to bet for Canada to win the next world cup, I'll bet against ?!?!

...but would you bet against the Habs?
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
I've done it before in an Office (US)Football pool.

And I've called for Duke or Ohio State to make exits from the NCAA tourney before as well.

As my dad likes to say:

"Cheer with your heart--bet with your head"
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:19 am
ONe of the advantages of betting against your country is that the odds tend to be longer than you would get from a bookie on the Continent for example. The bookies know that there will be a lot staked on England, so they shorten the odds. I might wait until we've played the mighty Icelanders on Saturday. After only managing a draw against the Japanese on Wednesday, I'm still tempted to back the French.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:25 am
I bet 5 Euro that GD will not bet on France Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:46 am
I could start an A2K Bookmakers. Strictly no real money of course, as that would probably get me banned. It's just be for fun. Everyone starts off with the same number of 'credits' and bets them on matches. I'll calculate the winnings and at the end we can see who has the most credits and takes the honorable prize of being the A2K Euro2004 Betting Champion. I'll check it out with the Moderators, to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:47 am
I don't follow soccer, I think it's one of the most boring games ever devised. But would I bet against my Rugby League team? After 5 straight losses, you'd better believe it.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 03:53 am
well, Wilso, I totally respect your opinion (although I disagree) unless you follow cricket Very Happy
I mean, Aussies generally do Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:27 am
Of course I follow cricket. But club cricket doesn't have the big following like other club sports do. It's international cricket that get's all the attention during our summer's. Margo and I attended a sold out day at the Sydney Cricket Ground last year when the Aussies played India. During the cricket season everyone's on the same side.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 07:50 am
Dunno about soccer, but I probly would.

I know that at the last elections, I took part in this "political share market" (real money). I bought shares for a right-wing government + PM, betting that they'd win.

Hey, way I looked at it was this: if my party wins, I'll have lost some money, but I'll be happy, anyway. If they win, I'll be sad - but at least I'll have won some extra dough. (God knows it comes in handy with them in power).
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 02:03 pm
GD

I'm not a gambler (well, Lotto isn't gambling, is it?).

If I was, I think the match would lose some of it's enjoyment if I bet against my own team. I mean - it's a lose - lose situation. Anguish if your team loses; loss of money if your team wins. There's no good option.

Mind you, if I supported Wilso's RL team, I'd probably have to do something drastic now. Razz At least the Oz soccer team has had a few wins lately - but I'm not putting money on them making the World Cup - they'll be knocked out by some South American team before then.

Note GD - Oz beat England a couple of years back - not a good sign for England. Soccer is a distant 4th football code here.

I'm a bit of a cricket tragic. Want to put some money on England beating Australia in the Ashes tour next year???

At least Michael Vaughan is decorative as captain, (he still is, isn't he??). And, surprisingly for England, he can handle the bat a bit. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
Glad I didn't bet against them. They won against one of the leaders. Scored a try to draw level with 30 seconds left on the clock and kicked the winning goal after the full time siren sounded.
0 Replies