Humanity

Taynt

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 02:02 am
I assume that we consider oursleves humans. What I've wondered is, following the acceptance of the theory of evolution, where does one stop considering the animal human, and begin to call it otherwise?

How do we define the point where, along the evolutionary trail, a creature became a human being?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 12
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:39 am
Re: Humanity
Taynt wrote:
How do we define the point where, along the evolutionary trail, a creature became a human being?

When he learns that pro wrestling is fake.
0 Replies

Taynt

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
Shocked then i fear that alot of us have yet reached that status.
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 06:41 pm
Wasn't that the point where someone received the Words from whom he or she called Lord God? At that point, being a human being could have been realized in comparison to the existence of divine being, whether or not that belief (in its existence) itself is acceptable these days.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 09:56 pm
You cannot arbitrarily pick a point in a gradual evolutionary process and say that one generation was animal, the next human. IMO the development of self-awareness, language, and use of fire distinguish us from animals, but no one knows exactly when these steps occurred.
0 Replies

Taynt

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:00 pm
I'm wondering because we as humans seem to belief that we are somehow special from other animals. In some instances this probably is true (self-conciousness, abstract thinking etc). But at some point we must have evolved from earlier versions of ourselves who did not have these characteristics. So why then would we apply certain morals etc to ourselves but not to other animals?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
The definition of a human being is relative like everything else in this world. There are people alive today who remember times when not all who are granted the title human today had that right...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
Taynt wrote:
I'm wondering because we as humans seem to belief that we are somehow special from other animals. In some instances this probably is true (self-conciousness, abstract thinking etc). But at some point we must have evolved from earlier versions of ourselves who did not have these characteristics. So why then would we apply certain morals etc to ourselves but not to other animals?

Just human chauvinism, I think.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:42 am
Cyracuz:

Ahhhhh! Relativism, especially in the form you have invoked it is internally incoherent. EVERYTHING implies a universal. You cannot have a universal relative.

Also, I don't think the question was attempting to guage some sort of mental attribute that certain humans are not capable of because of thier education level. This is something inherent in human beings that sets us apart from every other animal.

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 09:45 am
I think dlowan has hit something here. I don't see us as somhow evolved past animal hood. I think we can caterogize ourselves a special entity in our classification - which we have done - but I think Aristotle had it right when he just saw us as a rational and social animal.

And for those that think evolution is some sort of progression toward a goal - I am not sure if our 'evolution' is better. We seem to be so good at adapting that we are killing our host.

TF
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
Re: Humanity
Taynt wrote:
IHow do we define the point where, along the evolutionary trail, a creature became a human being?

This is what paleoanthropology and archaeology concerns it's self with, at least in part. The key is the appearance of symbolic behavior and at the moment the earliest evidence of that is about 90,000 years before present in South Africa. Anatomically modern humans are at best only 150,000 years old, we are a relatively young species.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 10:22 am
These are some good introductory links to the issue.

http://archaeology.about.com/cs/humanorigins/a/klasiesriver.htm

http://www.chico.mweb.co.za/mg/saarts/hist-prehistory1.htm

http://www.museums.org.za/sam/resource/arch/klipgat.htm

http://www.bartleby.com/67/24.html
0 Replies

Taynt

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
Thanks Acquiunk :wink:
0 Replies