Church Offerings

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 03:49 pm
Have you ever been in church and found that you only had large bills to give to the offering plate? What did you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,247 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Wrote a check.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:43 pm
A check would work, but I never carry my check book with me as it doesn't fit in my purse.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:43 pm
It would be great if they accepted ATM cards.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
Don't give them anything! Doesn't your religion say, "the love of money is the root of all evil"? Explain that you don't want to give them any evil roots.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:01 pm
I'm in churches so rarely that I have lots of time to prepare for this sort of thing. I've got my bitta money ready to hand over, before any church-types can touch me.
0 Replies

darlenesyl926

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:34 am
Last Sunday, at our church, they gave us an envlope. We were told not to open it until we were told to. Now when we were told to open it..there was money in each of our envlopes. All together as a family we had $50.00. The question to us, was how can we make this money grow..for GOD...we sat down as a family, and discussed it. We decided to give the money to our food pantry with little stickers, reaching out to them to become part of our church. We then decided to give $15.00 a week for offering, more than we gave before. We did something very good with the money they gave us..and we pledged it for the whole year.
It was a very different way to have giving spelled out to us....even the kids got it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:58 am
darlenesyl926 wrote:
Last Sunday, at our church, they gave us an envlope. We were told not to open it until we were told to. Now when we were told to open it..there was money in each of our envlopes. All together as a family we had $50.00. The question to us, was how can we make this money grow..for GOD...we sat down as a family, and discussed it. We decided to give the money to our food pantry with little stickers, reaching out to them to become part of our church. We then decided to give $15.00 a week for offering, more than we gave before. We did something very good with the money they gave us..and we pledged it for the whole year.
It was a very different way to have giving spelled out to us....even the kids got it.

That was a pretty good way of getting the lesson across. At my church, we have never passed the offering plate. We have offering boxes at the doors leading into the sanctuary and people are free to give or not give as God leads them. The idea being that what a person decides to do re giving to God is a personal matter and passing the plate is akin to putting pressure on people to give. Normally the only mention made to giving is just a brief reminder at the end of the services the "the offering boxes are by the door".

I think people respond better when they are not always hearing about and being pushed to give.

Oh, and to answer the initial question, I have my tithe ready each week to drop in the box. No change needed. Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
Linkat wrote:
It would be great if they accepted ATM cards.

some churchs are set up to take Creditcards online and telephone.
0 Replies