LAN net speed slowed down ! Friend changed some settings.What to do ?

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:19 am
As I was not able to install a software, I asked the help of my friend to install it. Him being an IT guy know inside out of a laptop. He asked me the system password once. It suprised him for a second that the system has admin controls. I don't know what he did. But now my broadband speed is slowed down heavily. I was getting 20Mbps till this day but after this incident, it has gone down below 1 Mbps ! How to know whether he is using my LAN connection ? I don't have a router. I just have this net wire directly connecting to the laptop. How to get rid of this problem ? Can he used my net even when it is not connected or my laptop is not turned on ? How to get rid of this problem ? What he might have done ? He checked my settings in MS-DOS that day !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 446 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 01:56 pm
@vaishak14,
Have you lost his number? Maybe asking him what he did would work, eh?
0 Replies

VijayRaj

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2014 06:14 am
@vaishak14,
Are you using a mapped drive to transfer?
Are you uisng a DNS alias to connect?

How do you know your cables are good?

SMB? Are you using that protocol to transfer or ? Which means you need NetBIOS or Beui installed to get the transfer.

Both NICs are set to 100/full or Auto? Drop your 1000 to work on 100/full and that might fix the problem instead of putting all the work on the switch to go down to 100.

Double check your cables though as damaged cables can cause a big reduction in speed.
0 Replies