Is bombs and guns enough to stop Isis?

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:45 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Again, I would expect from a retired engineer to have learned something from past errors.

I see no reason that a strategy that didn't work in the past would work now.

You want to burn the Isis army with Napalm and to hell with collateral damages.

http://pieceofmind.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/vietnam-girl-fleeing-in-terror-after-a-napalm-attack.jpg

Lots of civilians would be killed, wounded, handicapped for life.

No wonder more and more people around the world hate you.

You seem to forget that this an unhealthy mob who can start a plaque, and the best way to stop it from spreading is with fire.
timur

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 03:53 pm
@Rickoshay75,
I don't forget easily, that's why I remember most errors of history.

But there are other means to stop this from spreading, only you aren't prepared, or haven't imagination enough, to consider them.

Or simply material interests prime over solutions other than brute force like Napalm.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:08 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Or simply material interests prime over solutions other than brute force like Napalm.

How about one good reason not to kill these bastards. How much do you plan to tolerate? Are you actually going to defend Islams right to do this? On the pretense they are different culture. The culture churns out killers.
timur

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 04:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Your hatred is blinding you.

I didn't say a war shouldn't be waged against Isis.

I did say that there are more pragmatic and efficient ways of doing it.

It can be done with less civilian casualties.

But I'm not going to explain it to you, I wait to see what the superior strategists of the Pentagon have in store..
roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:40 pm
@timur,
I agree, whether you care or not.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:44 pm
@timur,
Quote:
Your hatred is blinding you

No Islams hatred is scaring you.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 06:59 pm
I'm no war monger, but vote for blowing ISIS to pieces asap with the most appropriate tools: ground troops + aerial support. Napalm seems pretty stupid a tool in the circumstances.

Look. We got all the freeking jihadists of the world assembled in that area. We (NATO) are supposed to be at war with freeking Islamic terror. The Iraq state is crying for our help. WTF are we waiting for?

When there was no a single jihadist in Iraq, nothing could stop the US war machine from going there. Now that there ARE jihadists galore there, we all play shy all of a sudden? I don't get it. Send the Légion already.

roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2014 07:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Sounds good, you know, but NATO is dedicated to protecting members of the alliance. Beyond that, it gets complicated
Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:23 pm
@roger,
True that. Hence the ad hoc coallition. But why not ground troops?

I suspect Obama doesn't want to admit he left behind a broken Iraq, corrupt and sectarian, unable to resist any armed challenge. Of course, he is not the one who broke Iraq... Bush did. But Obama didn't fix it either, and ledt it to its own devices. Now he doesn't want to say: 'ooops, we should have stayed' (or left a contingent of troops). Or am i becoming paranoid?

If NATO does not destroy ISIS, Iran will. An outcome which I am also okay with. After all, giving Iraq to Iran is what the Iraq war charade has always amounted to...
Olivier5

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:40 am
French man quits ISIS because it was too hard to stop smoking
THURSDAY, NOV 20, 2014 03:19 PM EST

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/20/cigarettes_are_more_addictive_than_isis/
Smile
coldjoint

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Smile

Stories like that are propaganda to make these people look human. Wise up. The comparison between cigarettes and terror is ridiculous.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 01:17 pm
@Olivier5,
I suppose the security agreement reached with Bush giving a specific timetable for the US to get out had nothing to do with anything.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 01:59 pm
I'm apt to be the most pacifist person on a2k, for my own reasons explained several times. Not always, re every war, but mostly, and certainly re many of the last several decades of american adventures, overt and covert.

Recently I found no use for us sending weapons to moderate fighters in Syria. Well, yeah, I still agree with myself, those will change hands, as we should know so well.

I've an interest in the Kurds - no expert on them, but they seem sharp while dealing with trying to save their relatively newly improving and building economy in Iraq, get along with the Turkey that hates/doesn't trust them but was investing there too in that economy, and survive Isis, whatever its name.

I'm not interested in us sending our big feet and weaponry on their lands again. That only brings more hate on top of well developed hate. It brought great harm to our soldiers and arguably much much more harm to the people of Iraq, who on their own might or might not have worked out separations.

I'll be interested in Timur's view, whether or not I agree with it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 02:42 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I suppose the security agreement reached with Bush giving a specific timetable for the US to get out had nothing to do with anything.

Yes, it's part of the issue, but then the US army track record in dealing with regular Iraqi folks and in prosecuting bad apples in their ranks was not stellar either. Anyway. Spilt milk.

Just to be clear, i think a solid push back is necessary because ISIS is ultra dangerous and i fear that they could possibly take over Iraq. Maybe i'm wrong and the peshmergas will nail them tomorrow. We may still get lucky. But i think the Iraqis could use a few good advisors and A 10 and perhaps some navy seal or légion étrangère on the ground to spearhead the push back.

But it's complicated, i know. A hornet nest too...
0 Replies