"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 06:26 pm
I think it is overlooked that Moore asks many questions that he doesn't have the answers for. They are important questions that every American should be wondering about -- to ignore them is naive. I don't see any conspiracy theory approach and questioning the authority, veracity and efficiency of our leaders is a good healthy debate.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:01 am
Thank you for the link Sozobe Smile

Lightwizard, I'm starting to think that YOU are Michael Moore Wink
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:42 am
"F911" to be released in the UK on July 9, 2004

Michael Moore’s film Fahrenheit 9/11 will be released in cinemas across the UK from July 9th by Optimum Releasing. It will be the biggest cinema release for a documentary ever in the UK. Previews will take place across the UK on July 4th.

Related info:
http://www.optimumreleasing.com/news.php4
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:00 am
That's okay, Hood, I was beginning to believe you were Ann Coulter. Very Happy

Moore has said that this is an op-ed piece and in it's initial two theater opening in NYC it broke all records in those two theaters. All this shouting about self-promoting -- isn't this the American way? Entrepreneurship is only criticized by the big busines loving right when it doesn't suit their mold.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
Laughing The jury is still out on the bin Ladens and how much they hate the black sheep in the family.

I will give on one thing -- Moore is often guilty of entrapment rather than staging. Reminds me of the interviews on The Daily Show where it appears the interviewee hasn't got a clue they're being played for comedy.

More power to anyone who can show the emperor has no clothes.

Incidentally, has anyone notice how the administration has flip-flopped on North Korea and is suddently taking Clinton's diplomatic stance? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:40 am
'Fahrenheit' turns on box office heat

Michael Moore's anti-Bush film breaks the single-day records at the two New York theaters.
June 24, 2004: 6:46 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" turned on the box office heat in its first day in theaters breaking single-day records at the two New York City theaters where it played.

The movie, which aims a critical eye at President Bush and his prosecution of the war in Iraq, sold $49,000 worth of tickets at the Loew's Village 7 theater, beating the venue's single-day record of $43,435 held by 1997's "Men in Black," according to distributors Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

At the Lincoln Plaza theater, "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in more than $30,000 to top the $24,013 set by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000.

BALANCE OF CNN MONEY ARTICLE ON FAHRENHEIT
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:03 am
Even though Awad bin Laden--the powerful head of the family--disavowed any links with the exiled dissident Osama in 1994, family royalities find their way to Awad's #7 son Osama.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:08 am
The more the connection is denied, the more suspicious it becomes. That includes the Saudis themselves and it's the old "thou protest too much" syndrome.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
Lightwizard wrote:
That's okay, Hood, I was beginning to believe you were Ann Coulter. Very Happy

LOL Not quite. I used to be a republican, but I am now a libertarian... as I have stated before. I voted for Bush, I'll admit, but I will probably never vote respblican again. I'll be voting libertarian.

As I see it, Moore can make whatever kind of film he wants, but at the same time, people can openly prove his statements false or hollow.

I think that within the next 10 years, actions of our government will be more publicized than they have been, and I think that's for the better.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:22 am
Openly prove?

Dennis Miller brought up the old tired unproven notion that the bank gun premium scene was staged in "Columbine" . Of course, it was Moore entrapping the employees of the bank and documenting it unless one wants to believe the nutty idea that they were all actors.

Ever since Nixon, the White House has been highly scrutinized and no wonder.

I see your side of it, L.R.R., and I am cognizant of Moore's excesses. I also believe that most of those excesses are effective documentary journalism. We shall see because the film is already destined to be a big hit.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
(I refuse to be labled as a libertarian even though I subscribe to many of the ideas of the libertarians. It's just that so many times those principals are compromised).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
Anyone seen this thread by McG?

The commentary he quotes sounds at least as partisan and "fluffed up" as any Moore documentary. But I'd still be curious to see if people actually have rebuttals to some of the allegations of doctoring, misleading etc made in it - for example the points made in the paragraph "Howlers in 'Columbine'". Those are concrete enough, if you ignore the Bugs Bunny rhetorics.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:03 am
nimh- I would expect that there would be enough fluff in both Moore's film, and the book that McGentrix has mentioned, to fill a few gross of down comforters. For me, I like to see the issues from both sides, factor out the bullshit as best as I can, and come to a reasonable conclusion!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:21 am
It does seem like hypocrisy to use the same tactics to criticize Moore as he is said to be using himself.
Politics, including politically oriented documentaries, is inherantly laden with some bullshit. Polarizing oneself on one side or another is not good. It's not that hard to recognize Moore's excesses (which are much less prevalent in this film) but I do see that cinematically they are effective. Reading Limbaugh or Coulter and deciding how much of it is blustering rhetoric shouldn't be any different than processing Moore's work. I don't think that it's going to be just the choir going to see the film.
0 Replies

ntiviv

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 10:57 am
9/11 theater locations
Is there a web link to find locations where 9/11 is booked?
Question
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:09 am
LINK TO AOL MOVIEFONE for bookings and schedules "Fahrenheit 9/11":

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=19030

Welcome to A2K, ntiviv.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:50 pm
I can almost entire agree with this brief and to the point review on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/24/review.fahrenheit/index.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:41 pm
Freedom of expression. Freedom of speech. Good things. Really, they are.

I know somebody in Brooklyn who says that the friday shows have been sold out for two days already. I think it's going to make a good amount of money this weekend, just from the buzz around it, but after that, we'll see how good it is. If it's a bunch of lies and garbage, or if it just plain sucks, it won't be around long, and the repubs will be able to relax and go back to their regularly scheduled "Summer of George".

I don't know about this movie, I have heard things that make me skeptical, but I am a sucker for the hype, and I have to see it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:43 pm
let us know what you think about it when youve seen it, kicky!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:24 pm
The hype is that Bush and Co. has made some tragic mistakes and Moore can, like the late night comics, expoit it to the fullest. Bush II will be an average President whose mistakes have outweighed the productive measures. He's not as terrible as some of the worst but he's mediocre at best.
0 Replies