"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:30 pm
"Fahrenheit" will open in 868 theaters (Variety) and it's competion of new films is, believe it or not, "White Chicks." Ain't life wonderful?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:47 am
Smile a big thanks to couzz for the uk release info Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:52 am
and um bush's term isnt over yet.... hes still got 128 days to become the worst pres in us history Wink
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:05 am
I find it astonishing that the list of the best documentaries did not include Claude Landzman's
"Shoah"

Shoah is a nine-hour documentary film completed by Claude Lanzmann in 1985 about the Holocaust (or Shoah). The film, unlike most historical documentaries, does not feature reenactments or historical photos; instead it consists of interviews with people who were involved in various ways in the Holocaust, and visits to different places they discuss.

Yes, I have seen the whole thing and have a tape of the film.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:16 am
NEW FOOTAGE ADDED TO "F911"

Additional footage of George W. and administration officials announcing links between Iraq and Al Qaeda has been recently added to the original version of "Fahrenheit 9/11". This newly editied film is the wide release version.

Related review:
http://www.nypost.com/movies/26195.htm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:18 am
I believe "Shoah" is on another list of best documentaries but would have to look for it. Like all lists there will be variations from one to another.
It has close to a 7.0 on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090015/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
couzz wrote:
NEW FOOTAGE ADDED TO "F911"

Additional footage of George W. and administration officials announcing links between Iraq and Al Qaeda has been recently added to the original version of "Fahrenheit 9/11". This newly editied film is the wide release version.

Related review:
http://www.nypost.com/movies/26195.htm

The "reviewer" makes a journalistic foopah in adversely comparing a scene in F9/11 with the scene in "Bowling" where Moore and the Columbine victims descend on WalMart -- they succeed in stopping the surreptitious sale of ammunition by the retail giant. The reviewer incorrect types "K Mart." Are there no editors or copy checkers at the Post?
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
Lightwizard:
Michael Moore's team should hire you...you don't miss a thing (WalMart/K Mart)...

Other than that faux pas, I think the review was a decent review overall considering the NY Post is more right than left. This is a good sign.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:49 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:57 am
I would tend to believe that Andy Card, Karl Rove and Dick Cheney are also instruments in the brainwashing of the President.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:03 am
BUSH SUPPORTERS WANT "F911" TV ADS OFF THE AIR BY JULY 31

Bush supporters demand that the Federal Election Commission investigate whether TV ads for "Fahrenheit 9/11" violate campaign finance law.

ARTICLE EXCERPT:
The conservative Citizens United wants the "propaganda" off the air by July 31, claiming it breaks McCain-Feingold rules barring the use of corporate money for ads showing a presidential candidate in the 30 days before his party's convention and the 60 days before the Nov. 2 general election.

Moore called the complaint "a blatant attempt ... to stop people from seeing my movie."

Article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/206085p-177880c.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:16 am
They may suceed in getting the ad off of broadcast TV which is FCC regulated but I doubt they could get it off cable. In fact, the ads on specific cable channels like CNN would be more effective in my estimation that those on the major broadcast networks regulated by the FCC. That would be a legal battle that would be interesting to watch though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 10:52 am
Moore replies to Isikoff's claims in Newsweek:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/mustread/f911facts/isikoff.php
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:25 am
Here is a link to the New York Times review of the movie. The review rates it has a must see, and on the whole is positive about the film, but not overwhelmingly so.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2004/06/23/movies/23FAHR.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:27 am
I agree with much of Denby's reviews including some of his reservations.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:38 pm
MOORE DEFENDS "F911"

EXCERPTS:

(CNN 6/25/04)-- The Bush administration "made a half-hearted effort" in pursuing Osama bin Laden immediately after the September 11 attacks, and devoted resources to invading Iraq instead, Michael Moore said in an interview, defending points he's made in his new film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."

"I think -- and I think most Americans agree with this -- that we should have seriously gone after anyone who was responsible for the murder of 3,000 people," Moore told CNN anchor Daryn Kagan Friday on CNN's "Live Today." "But, as Richard Clarke so eloquently has pointed out, on September 12th the Bush administration wasn't interested in going after the people who did this. They wanted to bomb Iraq."

A voice from the White House:
"I can speak for myself and I can speak for the President, and I can assure you that neither of us have seen ['Fahrenheit']," said White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett. "We don't have a lot of free time these days and when we do have free time to see a good fiction movie, we'll pick 'Shrek' or some other enjoy[able] feature like that.

"Mr. Moore has every right to produce and show movies that express his very radical views. He's outside of the mainstream. ... This is a film that doesn't require us to actually view it to know it's filled with factual inaccuracies."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/25/moore.film/index.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm
Outside of the mainstream. Yeah, right. He's being criticized for following along with material that is in the mainstream. No matter what they do, they can't keep their stories straight which is exactly where they find fault with Moore's films.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:58 pm
I will agree that the ogre in "Shrek" is far less threatening than Bush monster in the film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:08 pm
BUSH ADMINISTRATION LIED ABOUT SECRET SAUDI FLIGHT

The Bush administration and its right-wing allies are launching an all-out assault on Michael Moore and his new movie, attempting to discredit the film before it is even public. Last month, White House communications director Dan Bartlett said the movie is "so outrageously false, it's not even worth comment" [1] - a comment made despite the fact that the movie was not yet public and Bartlett had not seen the film. Now the smear campaign is focused on creating the public illusion that Moore lied about a secret Saudi flight that was permitted after 9/11 when most U.S. airspace was closed. But, according to one new report, the Tampa International Airport "confirmed that the flight did take place" -- despite three years of Bush administration denials.

According to the St. Petersburg Times, "two days after the Sept. 11 attacks, with most of the nation's air traffic still grounded, a small jet landed at Tampa International Airport, picked up three young Saudi men (including one thought to be a member of the Saudi royal family) and flew to Lexington, Kentucky. From Kentucky "the Saudis then took another flight out of the country." As the newspaper reported, "for nearly three years, White House, aviation and law enforcement officials have insisted the flight never took place and have denied published reports" about the flight. But now, at the request of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks (9/11 Commission), the Tampa International Airport acknowledged the flights happened. For its part, the Bush administration "is still not talking about the flights." [2]

According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Commission has now sent a formal letter to the Tampa International Airport asking for more information about "a chartered flight with six people, including a Saudi prince, that flew from Tampa, Florida on or about Sept. 13, 2001" The commission "appears concerned with the handling of the Tampa flight." Meanwhile, former FBI agent Manuel Perez, who accompanied the formerly-secret flight, said the order to allow the flights "must have come from the highest levels of government." [3]

In all, the New York Times notes it is "safe to say that central assertions of fact in 'Fahrenheit 9/11' are supported by the public record." [4]

For more on Bush administration distortion, visit:

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1725167&l=42270
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:09 pm
From VARIETY

BREAKING NEWS!
'FAHRENHEIT' OVERHEATS FRIDAY B.O.
Boffo sales put doc in running for No. 1 spot
Buzz works.

After weeks of debate and media coverage, "Fahrenheit 9/11" opened today far better than expected. An estimate of just how well it could do is difficult to make, but as of 3 p.m. on the West Coast, it looks as if Michael Moore's doc could sell between $6 million and $8 million worth of tickets on its first day.

Looks like the movie's cost will be taken care of in the first few days of release.
0 Replies