"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
Whether or not one agrees with the assemblage of facts as the truth, at least Moore causes many of us to research further and come up with our own revelations. His films are not watched by a bunch of robotic Moore adorers. There are always going to be a handful of those but it's always going to be dangerous to set up anyone as a false Messiah. I feel that has happened with every US President and it's happening now.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
What I like about Moore are the questions he is willing to ask and to bring to the worlds' attention. He's also very entertaining.

I do agree with a lot of his views but definitely don't take them as gospel - I don't really take anything as gospel.

His books and movies are just a refreshing perspective from the mainstream media's churn.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
It's hell to be a sceptic, huh, Jer. That is the scientific and analytical approach to everything but it riles people who try to be convincing and fall flat of their faces. It's curious when they don't even feel the pain, however.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
Yes...many a salesman has walked away from me disappointed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:28 am
I love to sell people like you because I recognize that they need a honest sales presentation to sell them something, not the hyperbole and hard close techniques which a won't convince someone with a healthy scepticism. I approach Moore with the same scepticism and I see what he's doing -- he's a salesman just like anyone involved with politics or pundantry. Bush, for instance, and Heston are hard closers. They're the slick used car salesman who get you into the closing room and start throwing the so-called tried and true platitudes at you to close the sale. Moore uses clever, sly humor and satire to take the facts and shape an intellectual product for one to consider. Just summarily throwing it out because one reads the negative reviews is not sceptical, it's paranoid.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:29 am
The easist person to sell, incidentally, is another salesperson.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
In the Forbes survery a few years back, guess what was the highest paid profession?
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 11:33 am
Quote:
The easist person to sell, incidentally, is another salesperson.

I'd agree with you that if the person has a need for the product and it's a good product then it's very easy to sell to a skeptic.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Whether or not one agrees with the assemblage of facts as the truth, at least Moore causes many of us to research further and come up with our own revelations. His films are not watched by a bunch of robotic Moore adorers. There are always going to be a handful of those but it's always going to be dangerous to set up anyone as a false Messiah. I feel that has happened with every US President and it's happening now.

So you have researched further?

Here are some facts. I would provide a link, but its in Danish.

* He got fired from the radical leftwing magazine "Mother Jones" after he refused to publish an article which critizied Nicaraguas communist Sandinst regime.

* Moore claimed that there were states in the US, where you would get a free rifle right away, if you opened a bank account at a bank - FALSE - Some banks actually do promise you a rifle.. however, it would take 1 to 6 weeks. they would have to wait from 1 to 6 weeks for their rifle, while they checked up on the person. The rifle showed in the movie was actually bought in a different city.

* Another "FACT": He doesn't directly say it (typical moore) that Lockheed Martin in Littleton Colorado manufactures weapons of massdestruction, which is one of the reasons as to why the kids are violent.. WRONG - they manufacture weather and communication sattelites

* Another "FACT", is a speech showed Charlton Heston making a speech in Littleton Colorado - WRONG - the speech is put together from 7 different pieces of a speech, so the point of the speech is changed - furthermore the speech took place about A YEAR after the shooting.... 900 miles from littleton

* The title is "Bowling for Columbine" because the two boys went bowling in the morning before the shooting, but they skipped practice that morning according to local police.

* Moore also had to call his book "Stupid White Men" political comedy on CNN, after they challenge him about his misleading factual stats. http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/08/08/cf.crossfire/index.html

* Moore claims that the US during Bush's reign supported the Taleban regime with 245 million dollars before 9/11, which is true... HOWEVER... it was via the UN's humanitarian programs.

Giving Moore a prize for best documentary, is like giving Leni Riefenstahl a posthum (sp) oscar for political correct socialrealism.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:09 pm
I believe the standard way of presenting facts is:

"FACT"

-link to source

I'm sure that we could use a Danish translator to make sense of the Danish source.

Another standard principle in presenting facts is that if you can find more than one source for them, the more credible your "fact" is.

edited once for clarity and it's still a bunch of crap Wink
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
If that's what you want, then why in the world would you believe anything Moore had to say?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:16 pm
http://www.berlingske.dk/kronikker:aid=443852/

There ya go, have fun. Its from the 2nd largest and one of the oldest papers in the world... and one that hates Bush.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
That's what I want on here - on A2K ... when I'm watching a movie I just want to be entertained and have new ideas emerge.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:30 pm
FACT:

Quote:
Filmmaker Michael Moore will marry Dick Cheney

Written by Carlos Sicilia

US filmmaker Michael Moore will marry US vice-president Dick Cheney in a private ceremony in San Francisco next Saturday.

http://www.thespoof.com/picstore/politics/resize_166298_cheney.jpg
Dick shows Michael Moore's probable Dick size.

The White House official voice, Mr. Ari ("Also-seems-pretty-gay-too") Fletcher didn't disclose further details about the probable location of the church, the total number of guests or which one of them is gonna be dressed like the "bride", Michael or Dick.

"This took us by surprise" said a Michael Moore staffer, "since I know for a fact that my boss hates both, Bush and Cheney." Nevertheless, some sources indicated that the decision was taken by both men in order to support "gay" marriages in America. "I wanted to come out of the closet", said Moore, "and get into one of those wonderful White House closets, which must be pretty BIG"

Dick Cheney, at a press conference this morning, said president Bush was "quite angry at himself" because the president opposes gay marriages and cannot understand "how the heck Cheney is gonna become one of them anti-straight guys now!"

During the ceremony, Moore, who directed and produced the successful documentary "Farenheit 9/11", has plans to start shooting some takes for his next film, which will be titled "Richter 8,7" and will describe the destruction of California thru the "Big One".

"I hate Bush" said Moore "I really hate him. So, I thought that the best way to punish him and make him suffer is precisely to get married to his master puppeteer"
END OF STORY

Carlos Sicilia, Caracas, Venezuela.

Source: The Spoof

Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
http://www.berlingske.dk/kronikker:aid=443852/

There ya go, have fun. Its from the 2nd largest and one of the oldest papers in the world... and one that hates Bush.

I'm not quite sure how the size, or age, or perspective on Bush has any meaning in regard to how I would view the validity of any article/column/editorial in any newspaper.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
and since my Danish isn't bad, I am enjoying the read, but it's still with a grain of salt.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:46 pm
Jer wrote:
I believe the standard way of presenting facts is:

"FACT"

-link to source

I'm sure that we could use a Danish translator to make sense of the Danish source. Another standard principle in presenting facts is that you can find more than one source for them. The more credible sources you provide, the more believable your fact is.

Oh come ON people.

LRR Hood - with whom I rarely ever agree - apparently was right on target when earlier on he posted,

L.R.R.Hood wrote:
its why I don't want to go through all the trouble a second time. I have a feeling that since I've expressed my negative feelings toward this man, even if I did offer "proof", you all would just ignore it anyway--or accuse me of lying somehow.

Lemme track back here. Theres a thread on Moore. Everyone gets to chime in with their opinion of what is relatively cool or right about his movies. Then LRRH comes in and says, lookit, I did look at one of his movies, I didnt trust it and I actually did trace up some facts - and it turned out he had twisted 'em. S been a few years, so no, I cant immediately drag up all the archived material for y'all, but thats what I found, anyway.

What the hell is wrong with that? Everybody here gets to post his opinion about that Bush "lied" about this and "was just plain wrong" about that, but when someone notes that he, back then, looked up some stuff that showed Moore to be lying, he's reprimanded for recounting that experience if he wasnt willing to do all the research for us over again? If he wasnt, he should have shut up: "support it, or don't say it"!

That strikes me as utter nonsense, for one. Loads and loads of posts where people asserted that they found X or Y to be true or false through whatever they read and feel they've learned - noone says much about it. You take it for what it is: thats what that somebody considers to be true or false on the basis of what he's looked up about it. For example, I assume I am allowed to say here that, through what I read back in my studies, I found that the Yugoslav wars were primarily about deliberate political intentions rather than spontaneous ethnic hatreds, without anyone telling me I had no right to even post that if I wasn't willing to quote the sources I used back then in full. But if its a conservative and he touches Moore, suddenly the guy hasnt got the right to speak unless he brings a library of data.

Anyway - then LRRH actually does come back, with a list of specific allegations of stuff Moore is said to have lied about -- actually translating it for all ya, I gather - and its still not OK. Of course not. He should have provided us with the link. Never mind that he already warned that he would have "provide[d] a link, but its in Danish". Then he actually does come back with a link and its still not enough: no, its just the one source, it should have been multiple ones, and "we could use a Danish translator to make sense of the Danish source" (heads up: somebody just did translate it for ya).

Childish, childish, childish. People, LRRH did his work. He looked up what the specific allegations were, provided you with a link, everything. You dont wanna accept it? Then its up to YOU now to dig up your own research that shows that those allegations are NOT based in reality. Or is it OK for you to just claim so on basis of your memory of unspecified stuff you read?

<grumble grumble grumble>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:50 pm
Good point. but I still think Charlton Heston is a dick.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:54 pm
good cornflakes this morning nimh? Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:56 pm
LOL!

They were all soaky and the milk was off!
0 Replies