"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

couzz

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
Because "F911" distributers and MM did not achieve their goal in having the Motion Picture Association of America reduce the film's rating from the "R" to PG-13, Michael Moore made the following comment:

"I encourage all teenagers to come see my movie, by any means necessary. If you need me to sneak you in, let me know"
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:16 am
What is the basis for the "R" rating?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
The probability is that teenagers who are even the least interested in politics will find a way to get in -- most of them have adult friends other than their parents if their parents happen to be Republicans or conservatives.

I would guess that the imbeded war scenes are what got the film an R rating.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
VIEW "F911" BEFORE THE OFFICIAL OPENING

For those of you in the New York Metropolitan area you can see "F911" starting today (Wed. 6/23). It is running on multiple screens with starting times approx. every 30 min at:

LINCOLN PLAZA CINEMAS
Broadway Between 62nd and 63rd, New York, NY 10023
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:47 am
Moviefone, one of the top theater ticket sellers on the Interent, reports that F9/11 is the most requested ticket as of today.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
Good news lightwizard. Friday's (6/25) papers will carry all the local reveiws of "F911". It will be interesting to see how critics in various parts of the country review the film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:10 am
This is up-to-date on the major and local reviews (78% total good reviews):

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Fahrenheit911-1133649/
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:04 pm
the reason for the R rating
the reason for the R rating is quoted as
"The movie was rated R for "violent and disturbing images and for language." The images include an Iraqi man tossing a dead baby into a truckload of bodies, Iraqis burned by napalm and a public beheading in Saudi Arabia."
from the CNN report Smile
which is odd really because kids get to see much worse on TV everyday and even worse on the US local news channels
anyway i am just saying how it is
doesn't bother me either way
luckily i am over 16 Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:29 pm
Welcome, Col Man, to A2K and the film forum -- I would have to say that at least over here we don't see images quite that graphic on broadcast TV. Pay cable is another story but there are V chips in our TV to block young people from seeing what their parents don't want them to see. This is of the case American movie rating system being rather fickle at times so it's not a case of black-and-white.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
ok dude thx n thx 4 the welcome too Smile
its great to be here Smile
must have just heard vicious rumours here in the uk about the american tv Wink
but surely wouldnt it be better if they showed the pictures Question cos they report homicide after homicde anyway Shocked ...suppose its better to leave it to the kids imagination so they can experiment for themselves to find out what it looks like Smile
Idea i thought if they showed the pics it would horrify the kids not to do it Idea ........
i heard recently in the good ol us of a that some wonderful person had chopped off several kids heads Surprised Shocked (probably cos they watched too much tv)
bet they didnt show that on the news huh Exclamation
ahh its a lovely world we live in Rolling Eyes
anyway just so this is an on topic post i think michael moores a great guy Smile long live freedom of speech Smile and i am looking forward to seeing the movie Smile
ps i couldnt find any reference on the michael moore website to opening times in the uk Crying or Very sad seems you americans just dont care about the rest of the world Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:46 pm
Congratulations, Col Man, you have just set the record for most emoticons in a single post.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:48 pm
hehe Very Happy thx dude Smile i love my emoticons Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:52 pm
Your welcome.

By the way, this one is my favorite. Shocked

Enjoy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:16 pm
Network shows like "CSI" get away with showing some pretty graphic and gross dead bodies. I don't know who the distributor is in the UK but we do get most movies first. Try The Guardian or some other periodical -- it may be on Michael's own site www.michaelmoore.com.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:23 pm
A little snippet of a review I read.

"Moore explores indirect business links between the Bush family and Osama bin Laden's extended family in Saudi Arabia. He suggests that the Bush administration tried to protect some bin Laden family members by letting them leave the United States shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks.

The independent commission that's investigating the Sept. 11 attacks reported recently that the FBI had approved the departures. Most of bin Laden's relatives have nothing to do with him."

Does anyone know if that last sentence is true? I mean, does anyone have any documented knowledge of it?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:22 pm
That's what is offered on the surface but if one isn't skeptical they will never learn exactly how pissed off the Bin Laden family is with Osama. Richard Clarke contradicted his testimony in an intereview stating that he alone approved the departures. I really doubt that and the FBI is contradicting that statement. It's a strategy of confusion mixed in with the startegy of instilling fear. A fear that one has to rationally question. It makes it easy to infer that the public isn't being told the entire truth.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/flight.htm

Quote:
Did bin Laden family members have any important information to impart to the FBI?

The term "bin Laden family member" is rather misleading, as it is often mistakenly assumed to indicate a person with close ties to Osama bin Laden. By most accounts, Osama bin Laden was one of more than fifty children fathered by the same man; the bin Laden family is huge, with hundreds (if not thousands) of members spread all over the globe. Many, many of these family members are only tangentially related to Osama bin Laden and never had much (if any) contact with Osama himself. Moreover, his family disowned him after he fled Saudi Arabia in 1991 and was stripped of his Saudi citizenship in 1994 for smuggling weapons from Yemen. According to another news account about Saudis leaving the U.S. in the wake of the September 11 attacks:

Most of Mr. bin Laden's relatives were attending high school and college. They are among the 4,000 Saudi students in the United States. King Fahd, the ailing Saudi ruler, sent an urgent message to his embassy here saying there were "bin Laden children all over America" and ordered, "Take measures to protect the innocents," the ambassador said.3

The fact that "most of Mr. bin Laden's relatives were attending high school and college" in 2001 means that most of them were somewhere between 4 and 12 years old when Osama bin Laden fled Saudi Arabia. Students who were mere children when Osama bin Laden left Saudi Arabia, and who had spent at least some of their intervening years living in the U.S., were not likely sources for information regarding his current whereabouts and operations:

"We did everything that needed to be done," said John Iannarelli, a bureau spokesman. "There's nothing to indicate that any of these people had any information that could have assisted us."9

(Numbers refer to references -- click on link for full article.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:50 pm
Soz, you are awesome! Thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 06:02 pm
:-D Happy to help. (Thought I remembered something about the family disowning him, and "bin laden family disowned" got the above via Google.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 06:09 pm
The New Yorker's profile of the bin Laden family:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?011112fa_FACT3

As the FBI can't exactly be commended for the efficiency of their intelligence, doesn't letting all the family members leave the country in the matter of a few days cast suspicion on how deligently they interviewed the family members? Still a lot of questions and not enough answers.
0 Replies