"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

couzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
As of Sunday morning (July 11), Box Office Mojo reports "F911"s domestic total was: $80,090,000.

The European box office figures are not counted yet. The film has definately opened in London as a friend of mine who lives there said the theater was crowded when he went to see the film and audience reaction was positive with several people crying as they exited the theater.

(Great Britian has lost 37 soldiers in Iraq so far.)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:23 pm
Disney's shareholders cannot be happy about this.

Around the World in 80 Days was the first Disney blockbuster of the summer. It cost over $110 MM and has tanked immediately.

This past weekend Disney released King Arthur. It came in 3rd place behind Spiderman2 & Anchorman.

King Arthur was playing in just shy of 3100 theaters and averaged $4900/theater.

But Fahrenheit 9/11 was in just over 2000 theaters and averaged a bit under $5500 per film AND it's been out for 3 weeks now.

You have to think the stockholders at Disney are pretty peeved that they have 2 big budget movies that cost a combined $200 MM (and will be lucky if they crack $100 MM in receipts for the both of them).

And they refused to show a little $6 million dollar movie that will probably break $100 million sometime next weekend.

If Eisner and Dubya are somewhere having a few brews, rest assured Michael is crying in his. :wink:
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 05:48 pm
Eisner was in a no win situation...he lost on all counts. If Disney had released "F911" he could have angered Republican stockholders plus future Republican audiences for other Disney films. So he didn't release it, and now a lot of people think he is a coward.

"F911" will have a life of it's own thanks to the intrepid MM, long may he live. Next up, MM studies the medical industry.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
This weekend, I had the opportunity to see a film even more radical than Fahrenheit: it was "You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train," and is a biography of leftwing historian Hoawrd Zinn.

Excellent!!!

There is a film comng out called, "The Hunting of the President," which deals with the for real right wing conspiracy's efforts to destroy Bill Clinton.

I am glad that people are speaking up and protecting democracy even if theatres and theatre chains owned by righties are trying to stop Moore.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
I saw the Howard Zinn biography, "You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train" and it makes Fahrenheit look like pablum

Also, a movie called, "The Hunting of the President," about the right wing attempt to get Clinton will debut soon as will a film called, "The Corporation."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
F9/11 has hit 80M and I am sure Eisner is squirming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:48 pm
The staff association is paying for my ticket to see F9-11 tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it/dreading it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:57 pm
Democrats Abroad in Toronto has been appearing outside screenings of F-911 to encourage voter registration. I'm hoping they'll be there tomorrow night so I can snag a pamphlet.

They're very active all over the city.
Quote:
"CELEBRATE TORONTO STREET FESTIVAL" Saturday, July 10
Toronto Democrats Abroad will be seeking expat US citizens at the Celebrate Toronto Street Festival on July 10 and 11. We need volunteers to work at the five intersections along Yonge Street where the events take place (Lawrence, Eglinton, St. Clair, Bloor and Dundas).

Apparently, there are over 250,000 American citizens working and living in Toronto. That's quite a group of potential voters.

http://ca.democratsabroad.org/

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/state/amcit_numbers.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:02 pm
Wow, ehBeth, this is the first time I've heard of another country supporting the democratic party of the US, and actively helping to get votes. It's amazing to me that Canadians are actively working to influence a win for Kerry and Edwards. Just amazing. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:03 pm
If the film accomplish anything getting people to come out and vote is the most important.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:09 pm
c.i., Democrats Abroad are American citizens.

They have delegates, and super-delegates, for the Democratic Convention in Boston. Apparently, they are assigned county status of some sort.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:18 pm
They're American citizens, but on Canadian land - with the support of Canadians to some small degree - I'm sure.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 04:53 am
The good news is in....6.5 million in overseas sales for "F911".

As of July 12, 2004:

TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic: $80,121,002 (92.4%)
+ Overseas: $6,580,000 ( 7.6%)

Worldwide: $86,701,002
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
While elsewhere in the forum people are reviewing the movie who haven't even seen it, Moore has done what has always been thought to be virtually impossible. Make a blockbuster documentary. He himself doesn't believe it's the last word. See the movie and absorb what he is presenting then make up your own mind. This irrational fear that there are those who will take all of what Moore presents on the screen as verbatim has no concept of movie making, doesn't know what the word "polemic" means and borrow their opinions off of forum posts, blogs and journalists like Michael Isikoff who are also known to make journalistic errors. Nobody is the last word on this issue. The last word will be when Bush leaves the White House.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:16 pm
Saw it in a crowded theatre in Toronto's entertainment district. There were tears, cheers, laughs, snorts, applause, gasps and more tears. Much serious talking in the crowd as we left.

I didn't much need Michael Moore. The politicos talking was enough.

Gotta admit the "Shiny, Happy People" bit on the soundtrack made me snort waaaaaaay out loud.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:26 am
I think I may have written here that the audience I saw the movie with gasped when the connection between the Afghani Karzai (sp?) and one of bush's supporting companies was made.

I cried when the Iraqi grandmother spoke.

That song, SHiny, Happy people reminds me of Sesame Street because REM performed it with the monsters as Shiny, Happy Monsters.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:58 pm
I saw the film today. I cried when the mother of the US soldier read his last letter to her, and again when she traveled to DC. I screamed with laughter when MM happily gave out the private office phone number of the war supporter (who was he again?) who touted his nonexistent 1+800 number to those with questions.

Parts of the film were nicely and tightly edited. Other parts of it dragged. Moore did a very good job on Bush, but I would have liked to see a little more on Cheney, Rumsfeld & others. And I would really have liked to see how much money has been made by US individuals & corporations on the Iraq war...a total that is still climbing, I realize. Moore did a good job of showing how it is the lower classes that are sending their children to die. I'd like to see who is profiting from those deaths.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:51 am
I was also dissapointed that Moore didn't set his sights more on Cheney and Rumsfeld but perhaps he wanted Bush to keep them aboard, sealing his fate.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:26 am
It's just been released in Oz. Very timely, with an election just around the corner & an Oz government that has tied itself so closely to Washington. I can't wait to see it!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
The film is still box office phenomena:

WEEK BOX OFFICE FINAL
Jul. 9 - 15, 2004
Title (Distributor) Reported Weekly
Box Office Engagements
This Week Cumulative
1. Spider-Man 2 (SONY) $66,254,849 4,166 $277,512,432
2. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (DREAMWORK) $43,106,943 3,091 $43,106,943
3. King Arthur (BV) $22,519,350 3,086 $30,949,201
4. Fahrenheit 9/11 (LIONSGATE) $17,718,483 2,004 $86,808,587
0 Replies