"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:24 pm
The short answer, Col Man, is that Flint, Michigan had a major General Motors plant until the company pulled up stakes. As has been the case in many such cities in the US, the local economy never recovered...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:38 pm
See, "Roger and Me," and you'll know about Flint.

GM is the problem with Flint.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:26 am
As a Michigander born and bred and now residing in Massachusetts, I have a great deal of sympathy for the State and its people.

I, unfortunately, don't have the financial means to return home as often as I would like . . . an understatement!!! The last time I was in Michigan was about 8 years ago and we never made it to Flint, where a cousin of mine lives.

However, we did spend time in Detroit, which looks like a city that has had a war. When I was in my early 20s, I was one of many concerned young professional white and black people who made a commitment to living in the city. Unfortunately, we were driven out by thefts and break-ins.

However, when jobs are scarce and urban planning includes only living space and not goods and services, then things go awry. Immediately after leaving Detroit in 1976, I was taken to the neighborhood on the Cambridge-Somerville line where my nephew-in-law had just rented an apartment. As part of the effort to revitalize that area, a small shopping plaza was built containing a branch of the now defunct Caldor (a discount department store) and a supermarket. I remarked that people who lived in this area could walk to buy groceries and basic needs like clothes and hardware and simple homegoods like bed linens.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 11:38 am
Did anyone catch the character who is trying to counter F9/11 with "Michael Moore Hates America" on Jon Stewarts The Daily Show? They set him up as trying to get an interview with Moore, even an ambush, and he failed with each attempt. Then the interviewer was shown drinking champagne at a nice restaurant with Moore. Hilarious.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
Some theater chains refuse 'Fahrenheit 911"

Movie finding opposition as it expands Friday

July 9, 2004

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Michael Moore's controversial "Fahrenheit 9/11" will expand into 286 additional theaters Friday.

But if you're an interested moviegoer in Grand Island, Nebraska, or Marquette, Wisconsin, you'll have to drive to at least the next town to view Moore's critique of the Bush administration. Illinois-based GKC Theatres and Iowa-based Fridley Theatres have decided to not screen the film.

Both theater chains, which were not in domestic distributor Lions Gate's original 800-theater release plan, are protesting the content of Moore's film.

According to Fridley Theatres' Web site, the theater chain has received a deluge of e-mails, phone calls and letters, some praising the action and others criticizing it. But a statement from owner Robert Fridley said the company is not playing the film because it believes that "Fahrenheit" is propaganda.

"It has always been and will continue to be our policy to refuse to play what we feel are propaganda films, no matter the source. It was and is our feeling that 'Fahrenheit 9/11' falls into that category," he said.

In a statement to a local newspaper, GKC Theatres president Beth Karasotes confirmed that her chain, with 270 screens at 29 theaters, will not show Moore's film as long as the country is at war.

"We believe in Michael Moore's freedom to make this movie," Karasotes told the Michigan-based Mining Journal. "We trust that our customers will recognize and respect our own freedom to choose not to show it. During a time of war, the American troops in Iraq need and deserve our undivided support."

Calls to Karasotes were not returned.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" has already grossed more than $60 million since its release two weeks ago. Lions Gate's expansion into 2,011 theaters is expected to generate an additional $9 million this weekend. Lions Gate Films president of releasing Tom Ortenberg said that, in addition to the two chains in the Midwest, a few independent one- or two-screen theaters also have refused the film.

"This is a horrible precedent to be setting for someone to be putting their personal politics above the needs of their community," Ortenberg said. "It raises a lot of issues because in some cases these guys are the only ones in some of these small towns."

But Fridley, for one, does not want to be seen as someone imposing any form of censorship.

"We do not infer that Michael Moore has no right to make his film and have it distributed," Fridley said. "In fact, if he or anyone in our nation were ever denied that right, we would be on the front line defending his or her right to make and distribute his or her film. Mr. Moore's and every filmmaker's right to make and distribute a film is no different than ours ... Mr. Moore has the right to have his message just as we have the right to choose not to be his messenger."
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:30 pm
Hooray for Iowa.

Alienating themselves from the rest of the world since 1846.

(Sorry if you're from there. Half of my family is too).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:43 pm
I suppose they think Blockbuster and other DVD retailers should follow suit on the DVD release. There are now bootlegged versions on the Interent for download. Lions Gate is unhappy but Moore isn't ruffled -- he'd rather people see the movie for free than not al all. Like those people in Iowa who are forced to choose whether they should ever attend those theaters again. The people for the ban will likely not effect the general box office at these theaters. Those who are not happy can dramatically hit the box office for other films screened at these theaters. Propaganda? There's propaganda in almost all films. Propaganda glamorizing violence, for instance. Those theater owners don't ban banal shoot-em-ups I would wager to bet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
It's obvious that the Fridley theater owners have their collective tongues plunged as deeply as possible up George Bush's ass.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
I'm coming to the party late but here's my thoughts:

1) Carlyle buys out Loew theatres so they can prevent the film from showing why?

2) Seen it was impressed. I thought I was pretty informed about the subject but had NO idea that Bush's limo was egged during the inaguration damn liberal media! or that Bin Laden's family attended the wedding.

3) Who didn't go "ewwwwwwwww" during the wolfowitz clip? Which in my mind pretty much sums up the entire cabinet.

4) I laughed, cried and spewed some of my best zingers!

5) Kid next to me lost it during the opening scenes and broke my heart. I could only imagine why he was so upset.

6) The best part of the film PEOPLE WERE TALKING , yes it got people TALKING. They were talking in the long line leading into the theatre, during the film and after. What other film do you know of that allows the audience such a sense of freedom to speak out. And really where else can you talk to the screen and not be considered a little nutty. This film and Jeopardy!

7) I don' think it will turn a lot of voters but I did see and I've heard a lot of young adults attended. If this film can shore up those voters it would be great!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:07 pm
I'm not so sure it won't effect voters into fortifying which way they will go. The swing voters are at bay and this and other factors could easily loose the election for Bush. When people display such abject fear of something that they began gnashing their teeth about it, that is revelatory of something.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I'm not so sure it won't effect voters into fortifying which way they will go. The swing voters are at bay and this and other factors could easily loose the election for Bush. When people display such abject fear of something that they began gnashing their teeth about it, that is revelatory of something.

It could effect voters but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd rather save that for a nice little added treat when Kerry wins in Nov. Very Happy

I do think it will remind the Democrats why it's so important to vote this year. The country has more registered Democrats then Republicans and if we could get them off their ass and vote then it will be a victory.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 02:22 pm
We'll never know what exact influence the film has on voters but the DVD release will tell more. Sony I believe has already signed for the rights. I wonder if that will piss off the Bush re-election campaign and they won't place ads on CBS? It will also premiere on Showtime in September which is Viacom. I was reading where there are many register to vote booths at theaters or nearby. Moore himself has said that if you look at opinion polls, it's really a liberal nation. They just have to get out and vote -- this may motivate that base. At the same time it could motivate the conservatives and moderate Republicans to get out and vote in their belief that this will be a larger turnout at the voting booths this November. Kind of exciting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:00 pm
If Michael Moore did nothing more than get more of our voters to vote in the next election, his documentary would have served it's purpose. Somebody had to light a match under more Americans to vote, and this may have been the ignition.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:54 pm
Getting back to Fridley Theatres in Iowa and GKC Theatres in Illinois, I find it interesting that both of those states went for Gore in the 2000 Election...it was close but it was Gore.

Maybe these states are getting extra pressure from the Republican National Committee

Well, I got curious about Fridley and GKC and this is what I found:

Fridley Theatres--a family-owned and -operated business comprised of 92 screens at 38 theaters throughout the Midwest in towns with populations ranging from 2,000 to about 30,000.

GKC Theatres-- 300 screens in 32 theaters in 5 states throughout the U.S. Midwest, caters primarily to smaller markets with populations of about 100,000.

Perspective:
Regal Entertainment Group--the largest theater owner in the US has more than 6,000 screens at 550 theaters in 39 states--they are showing "F911"

OK, the RNC has eliminated 70 theaters. The bad publicity connected to restricting freedom of speech will outweigh the screens lost. Signs of desperation from the RNC or are they just covering all the bases?

If you are curious about the 2000 election results state by state go to:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0876793.html
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:02 pm
What about black listing? This sounds like an attempt to prevent a film make from earning a living. Not that Moore needs it at this point but the Loew purchase and the refusal to run the film by these small chains is a disturbing trend. This is looking more like the McCarthy era every day.

Also I have a friend in the video business and it costs her about 5 bucks to print a commercial DVD. Given the amount of money that is thrown around in presidential campaigns what would it take to print up enough DVD's to send a copy of Fahrenheit 9/11 to every voter in towns where the local theater refuses to run the film.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:46 pm
Moore's "F911" is a very powerful film that is opening a lot of eyes...70 theaters not showing this film is a small percentage of the theaters in the USA.

Each one of us who truly believes Michael Moore's film is disclosing important information should try to help register one friend or relative to vote. If that person does not have transportation to get to the polls, then make a commitment and drive them.

It's important not to get distracted from the only recourse we have--voting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:10 pm
The screens reported showing F9/11 by Variety is 1,725. Iowa's drop in the bucket banning of the film is paltry and now looks pathetic.

The film is close to 70M in box office -- it will have no problem reaching 100M in the U.S. with international likely close to the same numbers. Mike must be having more champagne with the staff at The Daily Show. A 200M documentary -- phenominal and likely never duplicated except by Mike himself.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:36 pm
Some where in this great land, Michael Eisner and George Bush are sharing a warm beer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:57 pm
Where they're going, a warm beer will be very cold.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:06 am
Laughing
0 Replies