Couzz, good insights and so true.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 09:06 am
Michael Moore's Blog

July 4th, 2004 10:15 pm
My First Blog Entry

Hey, my first blog entry! Welcome fellow bloggers and blog readers! Blog doggers and blog loggers. Blogging away for the common good or just to keep from watching whatever crap is on TV right now. What is on TV right now? No new 6 Feet Under tonight. The Practice has been bounced. Can't Jon Stewart do a Sunday show?

Speaking of Sunday shows, did anyone see that hilarious CNN Unreliable Sources show this morning? It's hosted by this knucklehead from the Washington Post who's been raggin' on me since "Roger & Me." I wasn't half awake while it was on but I think he had some blow-hards on who said, in no particular order of priority, that I was in cahoots with the Taliban, supported Al Qaeda, and dreamed of a day gone by when Uncle Saddam brought peace and joy to the world. This thing was so whacked, and they were trying so hard to repeat Karl Rove's talking points, I thought, "Damn -- the box office from last night must have busted through the roof if these guys are that pissed!" So I immediately called up the studio and, sure enough, in just our second weekend, "F9/11" had shot past $50 million! Whoa! More than double what it was last Sunday! No wonder foam is coming out of these guys' mouths!

I turned it off and picked up the paper. It was so funny, cause the last thing they were blabbing on about was how dare I -- HOW DARE HE! -- imply that all the loot the Saudi royals and bin Ladens have invested in the businesses of the Bush inner circle would have anything -- ANYTHING -- to do with them getting special treatment after 9/11. And then, there was today's top headline story in the NY Times -- about how five Saudi suspected terrorists in Guantanamo were given back to the Saudis in exchange for 5 Brits the Saudis were holding (and possibly torturing). So, if you are currently incarcerated in Gitmo and reading this, there's your ticket out -- just prove you are a Saudi!

When is the real discussion going to begin? If the White House has its way, the CNNs of this country will just keep attacking me with wild-ass claims about how I am in cahoots with Martians or something . And I've NEVER even released a suspected Saudi terrorist! I just made a movie! Geez...

Time to head back outside to watch the rest of the fireworks...

More later...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 09:15 am
If anything, Bush should have been cognizant of appearances in being a public figure. I don't think anyone is assigning anything nefarious, it just looks kinda dumb. A part of one after another dumb moments in Bush's repetoire which piled up make a definite statement about the man. His recent interview abroad where he tried the A type male bully the conversation turned into a disaster for him. Most Americans won't see it unless they watch The Daily Show where's it's likely to show up. Moore was on Stewart's show last week and complemented Stewart on being the master. Rather self-effacting as I haven't seen Stewart make any consumate political documentaries lately.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:31 am
Moore film turns tables on talk radio's yakkers
Moore film turns tables on talk radio's yakkers
By Steve Young
Los sAngeles Daily News

The Lords of Loud are outraged, beside themselves with indignation.

With "Fahrenheit 9/11," Michael Moore has mangled the truth, handpicked the facts and then parsed them, spinning them makeshift into his very own biased point of view, or so the talkers squeal.

They shake their heads in collective exasperation, hootin' and hollerin' that this one-sided, polemic view is nothing more than Moore's partisan attempt to have Bush removed from the presidency and serves as proof that propaganda -- tsk, tsk -- is alive and well in America. They see "Fahrenheit 9/11"; they say Goebbels or Riefenstahl could have not made anything more anti-American.

They think he's a right bad mamajama who could stand to lose a few pounds.

One host fella at KABC in Los Angeles called Moore, among a lot of other big fat things, a big fat vicious slob. He said that if an earthquake felled the roof at a theater where "Fahrenheit 9/11" was showing, it wouldn't be a total loss. On the same day he lambasted Moore, he defined the difference between political ideologies:

"Conservatives have class and liberals are animals."

I certainly don't want to rehash the endless examples of Limbaugh, Hannity et al's demeaning efforts against anyone or anything that isn't in lockstep with them (got to save something for the next column). Ah. Maybe one.

Last week Rush said Moore's film is similar to the new book that calls for the assassination of Bush. And then the man who said during the 2000 race, "the only way you could vote for Gore is if you hate America," explained, "there's no hatred in this program." He didn't even giggle.

The monarchs of the mic set up their arguments on a belief or assumption or a half-truth (or no truth at all), and then apply their polemic harangue to their bogus hypothesis.

Ignoring the administration's original alleged rationale for invading Iraq, they mythologize a liberal ignorance and/or blessing of Saddam's murder of his own people.

Ignoring whose ample pockets will benefit most from the tax breaks, they tell you that liberals want to take the money from you .

Here, they applied to "Fahrenheit 9/11" the utterly invalid premise that the movie claims to be or ought to be fair and balanced, which Moore himself has never said it was meant to be.

No matter what you or I feel about Moore or "Fahrenheit 9/11," please, someone, anyone, tell me: What is talk radio other than exactly what it calls Moore? I'm not so sure Moore would argue that he isn't doing the same as talk radio does -- just with pictures -- and with a bit more wit. Perhaps talk radio is a bit miffed (and somewhat jealous) that someone on the left finally figured out the scam and is getting more attention than a cheap New York hooker at the Republican convention.

And my guess is, just like the barrage of Limbaughites who grew out of his big bang, there'll be plenty of Moore mimics, on the left and right, who will be trying to use the new docu-spin to get their point across while making the big Clear Channel docu-spin bucks.

Mangling, or sensually massaging, the facts or even creating them out of thin air (which those with a lesser sense of humor might even call lies) to trick your fans into thinking your point of view makes so much damned sense, is much the same mistrust of the audience, whether pitched by 35 mm or by sound wave.

So when Moore's detractors find his less than fair and balanced tactics one iota different from what they do 25/8, aren't they being far less than ... fair and balanced?

Which is exactly my point.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:39 am
couzz, You bring up an important point; with the Brit's claim that Saddam could unleash his WMDs in 45 minutes, that 7 minutes that Bush sat in that chair shows how inept he is as our guardian of security and safety.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
THere is a fight fire with fire demeanor to the film but it is necessary. Are poltics going to always be vitriolic and confrontational? Just read through our political threads. There's the strong odor of sour grapes -- nobody on the right has the talent or resources to make a decent documentary and certainly not the with the reputation as a filmmaker that Moore has established. "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine" are at the top of nearly all best documentary lists. To compare Moore to the German propagandist and filmmakers is the same kind of cheap shot they yell foul if it's applied to them. They're only going to accomplish one thing -- getting more people to buy a ticket to see what it's all about. They can then accept or reject what Moore has wrought.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm
Last weekend's champion, "Fahrenheit 9/11" slipped to No. 2 with a four-day haul of $21 million, taking its total to $60.1 million. Michael Moore's controversial polemic about President George W. Bush was released by Lions Gate Films, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp, and by IFC Films, a unit of Cablevision Systems Corp's Rainbow Media Holdings.

LINK TO CNN ARTICLE IN MONEY
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:30 pm
GWB's 7 minutes of silence in Michael Moore's "F911"

Relating to my earlier posting on GWB's seven minutes of silence after being informed of the 9/11 tragedy, I have since learned that CNBC's show "Topic A with Tina Brown" (7/4/04) covered the subject of George W's learning disabilities.

I went online to research this subject and came up the various articles about George W. showing signs of being dyslexic or having similar disabilities.

According to the various opinions GWB has trouble stringing together two sentences when it applies to unscripted dialogue. Bush is capable of reading speeches and can also memorize answers to questions. If he answers an unrehearsed question, he will use one of his standard answers so he'll have a reply.

Apparently the press is well aware of GWB's verbal shortcomings and they more or less carry on without disclosure for some unknown reason.

Related article:
http://www.bushnews.com/dyslexia.htm
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:22 pm
On the morning of November 29, 1864, the Arapaho chieftain Black Kettle awoke to the sounds of the Third Colorado Volunteers thundering across the snow covering the hills around Sand Creek, Colorado. He immediately raised a white flag alongside the 34-star American flag he had been given in Washington the previous year by the Commissioner of Indian Affairs. He had been told soldiers would not attack if he flew that flag.

He had been lied to.

When the slaughter was over, at least 200 Cheyenne and Arapaho were dead. Soldiers mutilated their bodies and took trophies of breasts and scrota to be turned into tobacco pouches and other memorabilia. The Denver newspapers praised the Third Colorado and Colonel Chivington, their Washington-appointed leader. In 1866, Congress held hearings on the massacre and excoriated Chivington.

Throughout American history, there have been people -- from elected officials to vigilantes -- who have disrespected the Stars and Stripes far worse than those who have, in protest, burned it.

Indeed, on this weekend of commemoration of the Declaration of Independence, those of us who are patriots out of our love for America -- not out of that zombie-like devotion which sparks comments like "my country, right or wrong" -- know that the real gift of the Declaration is its ideal of everlasting liberty.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the rabid, flag-wrapped jingoism that so many in the ranks of the pundits, politicians and populace at large have confused with a "shining city on a hill."

What's best about the Declaration's ideals is that they have for two-and-a-quarter centuries given impetus to people to actually embrace them to their fullest extent. Those ideals have spurred abolitionists, suffragists and rights activists of every kind to expand their application to everyone. Each step of the way, reactionaries have opposed them, with guns, dogs, nooses, fire hoses, humiliation, degradation, and more, all of it performed under the auspices of the rule of law.

These same reactionaries have, from the time of the Founders, sought to isolate the Stars and Stripes as a symbol representative solely of their own ends. In war and peace, they have paraded the American flag as if it were their personal property.

As Michael Moore notes in yesterday's Los Angeles Times, that has unfortunately made some Americans surrender the flag to its tainters. Many of us have been too conflicted -- caught between the ideals and the reality -- to hang the flag from our porch or put a decal of it on our car.

Quote:
The Patriot's Act

What's more American than asking questions?

By Michael Moore

For too long now we have abandoned our flag to those who see it as a symbol of war and dominance, as a way to crush dissent at home. Flags are flying from the back of SUVs, rising high above car dealerships, plastering the windows of businesses and adorning paper bags from fast-food restaurants. But these flags are intended to send a message: "You're either with us or you're against us," "Bring it on!" or "Watch what you say, watch what you do."

Those who absconded with our flag now use it as a weapon against those who question America's course. They remind me of that famous 1976 photo of an anti-busing demonstrator in Boston thrusting a large American flag on a pole into the stomach of the first black man he encountered. These so-called patriots hold the flag tightly in their grip and, in a threatening pose, demand that no one ask questions. Those who speak out find themselves shunned at work, harassed at school, booed off Oscar stages. The flag has become a muzzle, a piece of cloth stuffed into the mouths of those who dare to ask questions. ...

I think it's time for those of us who love this country -- and everything it should stand for -- to reclaim our flag from those who would use it to crush rights and freedoms, both here at home and overseas. We need to redefine what it means to be a proud American.

… If these things represent what it means to be an American these days -- and I am an American -- should I hang my head in shame? No. Instead, I intend to perform what I believe is my patriotic duty. I can't think of a more American thing to do than raise questions -- and demand truthful answers -- when our leader wants to send our sons and daughters off to die in a war.

If we don't do that -- the bare minimum -- for those who offer to defend our country, then we have failed them and ourselves. They offer to die for us, if necessary, so that we can be free. All they ask in return is that we never send them into harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary. And with this war, we have broken faith with our troops by sending them off to be killed and maimed for wrong and immoral reasons.

Let's create a world in which, when people see the Stars and Stripes, they will think of us as the people who brought peace to the world, who brought good-paying jobs to all citizens and clean water for the world to drink.

In anticipation of that day, I am putting my flag out today, with hope and with pride.

I urge all Americans who considers themselves patriots to take themselves to see his documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 in order to make an informed determination about whether their patriotism is being rewarded by the current stewards of political leadership in Washington.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:17 pm
The historian Walter Lord in "The Dawns Early Light" his history of the British invasion if 1814, has a description of the flag has it flew over Fort McHenry on the evening of September 13, 1814 as the British Navy prepared to bombard the fort, that has always stuck in my mind. His description is the way I like to think of the flag. It flew above the fort he recounts "that hot dangerous evening, not an icon of might and power, but a statement of earnest purpose, as a young and not always wise nation prepared to take it's stand against the most powerful country on earth" . A "statement of earnest purpose" is my concept of the stares and stripes
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
My Aunt saw this, and I hope to as well (maybe Saturday or Sunday).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:18 pm
Top Ten George W. Bush Complaints About Fahrenheit 9/11

10. That actor who played the President was totally unconvincing

9. It oversimplified the way I stole the election

8. Too many of them fancy college-boy words

7. If Michael Moore had waited a few months, he could have included the part where I get him deported

6. Didn't have one of them hilarious monkeys who smoke cigarettes and gives people the finger

5. Of all Michael Moore's accusations, only 97% are true

4. Not sure -- I passed out after a piece of popcorn lodged in my windpipe

3. Where the hell was Spider-Man?

2. Couldn't hear most of the movie over Cheney's foul mouth

1. I thought this was supposed to be about Dodgeball
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
How about: "They didn't let me finish 'My Pet Goat'."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 05:28 pm
I'm not finished. Will you please let me finish!
Quit asking those hard questions, or I'll complain to your government.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 06:52 pm
http://media.michaelmoore.com/_images/splash/mike-times.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
From Variety:

SONY HOT ON '9/11' VID DEAL

Columbia TriStar expected to release DVD, VHS this fall

Still igniting ticket sales at the box office, Michael Moore's hot-button doc "Fahrenheit 9/11" is generating heat for a homevideo deal. Sony would not comment, but sources said the studio is close to sealing the deal.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:26 am
Saw Fahrenheit this past weekend.

The audience i sat with gasped when they learned Afghanistan's Karzak (phonetic spelling) was an advisor to one of the corps in the bush/cheney cabal.

The movie left me wondering why the city of Flint was in such bad shape.

Is it capitalism run amok? The centring of one industry in one place?

Does anyone think the people of Flint WANT (sorry, think of that last word as being in italics) to live that way?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
Moore can't help returning to Flint. It's an example of what is wrong with capitalism, the heartless and often dumb applications of capitalism as is the case of GM and, in more nefarious terms, Enron and their ilk. People will continue to worship their corporate chiefs and polticial opportunists as demigods unless the someone lights up the lightbulb over their head. In the case of 911 its the dumb and money grubbing lobbying of the airlines to systematically disembowel the security of our airports. Now they're charging the consumer for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:17 pm
(They needed a good excuse and they sure got it!)
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
will someone tell a poor ignorant englishman whats going on in flint?
the film hasnt opened here yet...
0 Replies