"Fahrenheit 9/11" to Open June 25th in 1,000 Theaters

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:19 am
Most of the profits from F9/11 to go to charaties:

'Fahrenheit' may be boon for charities

Newspaper report says 60 percent of the profits from Michael Moore's hit film will go to charities.
July 2, 2004: 7:10 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Charities could be among the biggest winners from the box-office success of the anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11," according to a published report.

The Wall Street Journal reported that about 60 percent of the net profit ultimately generated by the film could go to charities yet to be identified by Walt Disney Co. (DIS: Research, Estimates)

LINK:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/02/news/newsmakers/fahrenheit_charities/index.htm
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:41 pm
I finally made it to the theatre this afternoon to see F 911. In some ways it was what I expected and surprised me in other ways. The movie alternated between the humorous and the deeply moving. The saddest part of the movie was when Moore visited with Lila Lipscomb, the mother of a Marine who was killed. Especially when she read the last letter outloud that she received from him. The movie had more gore in it then I had anticipated.

The scene when, after learning the second tower had been hit, Bush just sat there and decided to read along with the children for an agonizing seven minutes while our country was being attacked. That was downright scary. The 'what am I thinking right now' going through Bush's head as he sat there reading was pretty funny I have to admit. The scene when MM was asking members of Congress to sign their sons and daughters up to go to Iraq and fight the war was a masterpeice. It shows those guys to be the hypocrites they really are. War is for the underclass...not the elite sons and daughters of the wealthy and powerful. Mad

At the theatre I was in, MM was preaching to the choir. The audience clapped several times and at the end there was thunderous applause. No Bush supporters in my audience today. Laughing

Before seeing the film I really thought OBL would be 'captured' sometime in late Sept or early Oct. But after seeing the film, I don't believe OBL will be 'captured' at all. Bush doesn't need or want OBL captured. If he needs help winning the election, I think he will get help from his connections in Florida and elsewhere if need be just as he had in the 2000 election.

I came out of the film more committed to doing all I can to see to it that GW Bush is defeated in November. Kudos to MM for a job well done.

0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:45 am
The Bush supporters that perhaps snuck into the movie were likely under the seats.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:03 pm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:20 pm
I'm waiting for the Bush clock to fall and break.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:45 pm
Lowdown on facts behind the allegations in Fahrenheit 9/11
Posted on Fri, Jul. 02, 2004
A lowdown on the facts behind the allegations in `Fahrenheit 9/11'
By Sumana Chatterjee and David Goldstein
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Michael Moore's film "Fahrenheit 9/11" has been called many things: incendiary, thought-provoking, satirical, propaganda.

But is it true?

That's a question millions of viewers are asking as the film enters its second week of distribution. This weekend, the number of screens showing the film doubled, from 868 to 1,725. More than 6 million people had seen the film by Wednesday, and millions more will watch it in the next few days.

Political commentators already have weighed in. Detractors of President Bush have praised the film for its scathing view of the way he's handled the war on terrorism. Supporters of the president say Moore has used the facts selectively to distort the record.

A close viewing of the film and a review of the record provide a more nuanced picture. Many of the details Moore uses to slam Bush are true. Others are partially true and open to interpretation. Some are clearly false.

This is a guide to some of the film's key points.
----------------------------

Bush's leadership on Sept. 11, 2001

In one of the film's most controversial sequences, Moore shows the president at an elementary school in Florida on Sept. 11. Two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center towers, and Bush is sitting in front of second-grade students reading "My Pet Goat." His chief of staff, Andrew Card, comes in about 9:05 a.m. and whispers in his ear. Card was telling Bush, we later learned, "America is under attack."

The president appears frozen. The movie slows the frames, which exaggerates each movement. Bush remains in the classroom for seven minutes before leaving to talk to his staff about the attacks. Moore suggests the president's possible thoughts during those minutes: Should I have vacationed less and worked more? Should I have listened to anti-terrorism experts warning of an al-Qaida attack?

The commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks and the government's response interviewed Bush. The commission staff said in an interim report that the president "felt he should project strength and calm until he could better understand what was happening."

The report says nothing about what Bush's staff did while he was in the classroom, but notes that "as far as we know no one was in contact with the Pentagon." The president's motorcade left the school at 9:35 a.m., and Bush talked with Vice President Dick Cheney for the first time at 9:45 a.m.

According to the interim report, the government's response to what had happened at the World Trade Center and to two other hijackings was in disarray during the period that Bush was at the school. Two F-15 fighter planes had taken off at 8:53 a.m., but their pilots didn't have clear orders on what to do or where to go and were in a holding pattern off Long Island, N.Y.

Sometime between 9:21 and 9:25 a.m., the Federal Aviation Administration realized that a third plane, American Airlines Flight 77, had been hijacked. That plane would strike the Pentagon at 9:37 a.m., the commission reported.

A few minutes later, air traffic controllers heard screaming aboard United Airlines 93 and determined that it also had been hijacked. It was headed to Washington and gaining speed.

What happened next is still contested. The Sept. 11 panel reviewed tapes and flight and radar data, and conducted hundreds of interviews. It found that while Bush read the children's book, air traffic controllers wondered if the military had been asked to intercept the plane and who had the authority to shoot down planes. By the time the plane crashed into a Pennsylvania field at 10:03 a.m., no one at the FAA had asked the military's help to stop the aircraft, according to the panel.

Though the president emphasized to the commission that he authorized the military to shoot down the hijacked planes, there's no record of that conversation. Cheney said the president authorized the shoot orders in a brief conversation shortly after 10 a.m., not in time to intercept the planes headed to Washington.

The commission's interim report reaches no conclusion about the president's actions.
------------------------------

Saudi flights after Sept. 11 attacks

Moore says the administration allowed 142 Saudi Arabian nationals, including about two dozen relatives of Osama bin Laden, to leave the United States after Sept. 11 without proper questioning by law enforcement agencies. In the film, Craig Unger, author of the book "House of Bush, House of Saud," tells Moore that none of the Saudis underwent serious scrutiny.

"So a little interview, check the passport, what else?" Moore asks.

"Nothing," Unger replies.

The Sept. 11 commission's interim report said law enforcement interviewed 30 of the 142 Saudis, including 22 of the 26 people on the flight that took most of the bin Laden relatives out of the country. The report said none was of interest to the investigation.

It says Saudi Arabia asked for help to get its nationals out of the United States. Because 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi citizens, the Saudi government was worried about reprisals.

The commission says it doesn't know whom in the administration the Saudi government contacted, but that the request eventually reached Richard Clarke, who was the White House counterterrorism chief at the time. Clarke told the commission he refused to approve the request, suggesting that it be sent to the FBI so the agency could vet the Saudis for any terrorism connections. He said the FBI approved the flights.

However, an FBI spokeswoman denied to The Hill, a newspaper that covers Congress, that it had "anything to do with arranging and clearing the flights." She said the bureau interviewed some passengers, but none was "of investigative interest."

Despite some media reports, the movie doesn't allege that the Saudis were allowed to leave while U.S. airspace was still closed.
--------------------------------

Connections among the Bushes, the Saudis and the bin Ladens

The movie paints a sinister connection between Bush and the bin Laden family. It implies that James Bath, a friend from the president's days in the Texas Air National Guard, might have funneled bin Laden money to an unsuccessful Bush oil-drilling firm called Arbusto Energy.

The accusation is a stretch, said Bill Allison, the managing editor for the Center for Public Integrity, an independent watchdog group based in Washington.

"We looked into bin Laden money going into Arbusto, and we never found anything to back that up," Allison said.

The center's investigations into Bush's years in Texas found that Bath managed the assets in Houston of Salem bin Laden, Osama's oldest brother. Bath also invested $50,000 in Arbusto in 1977 and 1978. There's no evidence that the money came from the Saudis, Allison said.

Moore further hints that a relationship between the Bush and bin Laden families was forged through their common involvement in the Carlyle Group, a Washington-based private equity firm heavily invested in the defense industry.

President Bush's father, the first President Bush, served as a senior adviser and board member to the Carlyle Group. James A. Baker III, secretary of state in the first Bush administration, has been a partner. The current President Bush was a board member of a Carlyle subsidiary in the 1990s, but withdrew in 1994 when he became governor of Texas.

The bin Laden family, whose wealth comes primarily from its Middle East construction company, invested in the Carlyle Group in 1994, then withdrew in late October 2001, after the terrorist attacks.

The bin Laden family's investment in Carlyle has been reported as $2 million, a small fraction of the billions that the group manages.

Most bin Laden family members reportedly severed ties to Osama years ago.
----------------------------

The war on terrorism

Moore says the administration used the threat of terrorism to make Americans willing to give up some civil liberties, but that Attorney General John Ashcroft "turned a blind eye and deaf ear" to fighting terrorism before Sept. 11.

While the administration disagrees with that assessment, former FBI director Louis Freeh told the Sept. 11 commission that fighting terrorism "was not a national priority." From 2000 to 2002, "we asked for 1,895 people - more agents, linguists and analysts. We got a total of 76" during that time, Freeh said.

The commission is expected to issue harsh criticisms of Ashcroft's anti-terrorism efforts before the attacks.

Moore criticizes Congress for quickly passing a sweeping anti-terrorism bill known as the USA Patriot Act, without reading it. The law gave broad powers to federal law enforcement to eavesdrop on individuals, detain and deport immigrants, and coordinate with intelligence agencies.

While it's impossible to know whether lawmakers read the bill, it's true that Congress short-circuited the usual legislative process and passed it in less than a week.
-----------------------------------

Bush and veterans

Moore charges that the Bush administration has cut veterans benefits. In 2003, the administration proposed to increase health-care spending for the Veterans Affairs Department over the previous year. Veterans' groups argued that it wasn't enough, particularly at a time when soldiers were in combat and would need health care when they were discharged. Congress wanted to add more money to the budget, but the administration opposed a higher increase.

The administration did cut services to higher-income veterans whose disabilities weren't connected to military service. It also proposed charging veterans higher co-pays for prescription drugs.
---------------------------

Bush's vacations before Sept. 11

Citing The Washington Post, Moore says Bush spent 42 percent of his first eight months as president on vacation. The Post calculated the numbers in early August 2001 as Bush embarked on a month-long "working vacation" at his Texas ranch, according to administration officials at the time.

The president's supporters say Moore failed to note that Bush met with advisers and other officials and was briefed on issues.

Mark Knoller, a veteran CBS Radio White House correspondent and unofficial chronicler of presidential trips, said in an interview that his own numbers from the first eight months of 2001 show that Bush spent all or part of 50 days at his Texas ranch; all or part of 40 days at Camp David, the presidential retreat in rural Maryland; and all or part of four days at his family's vacation home in Kennebunkport, Maine.

That works out to nearly 39 percent of his first eight months in the White House.
--------------------------------

Afghan president's oil connection

Moore suggests that one of the first official acts of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, who took office after the United States toppled the hard-line Islamic Taliban regime following the Sept. 11 attacks because it was sheltering bin Laden, was to help seal a deal for the California-based oil conglomerate Unocal to build an oil pipeline from the Caspian Sea through Afghanistan to the Indian Ocean. It alleges that Karzai had been a Unocal consultant.

A Unocal spokesman denies it. "Karzai was never, in any capacity, an employee, consultant or a consultant of a consultant," Barry Lane said. He said Unocal also never had a plan to build a Caspian Sea pipeline.

What's true in the movie is that Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, was a Unocal consultant in the mid-1990s, Lane said.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:56 am
Sometimes Moore offers appetizes without the entree and is making some suppositions. They don't go nearly as far as "JFK" which also caused contoversy as a docudrama. The film displays scepticism with all the pat answers the administration and many journalists have set forth since 9/11 and I believe that is healthy controversy. We are getting more filtered and sanitized news after the media went into a frenzy with fallatio and a president's penus. The media want to tittilate their audience with trivia and end up deliverying less than noble rhetorical journalism. Is it worse on FOX? I would think so -- their idea of fair and balanced is to have one token liberal present commentary. Crossfire on CNN is still the most fair and balanced political show on cable. Bill Maher has a reasonably good mix but when Ann Coulter is on she looks and sounds like Bill just did her.

Anyway, differences in percentages are no more than the error factor in a poll. There are always many different statisticaly results from many sources. Sometimes Moore picks the median, sometimes he picks out the one that makes the most of his case. It's a fun game but it doesn't change the total impact of his film one iota. committed the same negative he accuses Moore of. You can't pick one scene or one narrative out of the film as they are parts of a whole and don't add up until the end. I continue to read this foolishness and the cheap shots at Moore's weight (Pavarotti is also fat as well as Peter Jackson, the directors of the best fantasy film ever made, LOTR), and the rightwing pundits are not all svelte and attractive. Are there cheap shots in the film? You betcha, but they are funny as hell. Are there physical references? Only if one considers that Bush is presented as himself and you be the judge. Bush comes off as pathetically funny.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
BTW, I've seen analysis of how much vacation time Bush has had and it's much higher. Was Moore talking of the total vacation time in the Presidency or that one particular year? He could have taken the 39% and the analysis of that eight months as 48% and selected the average figure.

The point is how can a leader lead away from the Capitol? Is he really trying to be a uniter when he isolates himself from the so-called Washington insiders?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:18 am
Moore on Isikoff's musings:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/f911facts/index_poll.php
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:20 am
The film's distributor has doubled the screens for the next week.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:26 am
Lightwizard wrote:
BTW, I've seen analysis of how much vacation time Bush has had and it's much higher. Was Moore talking of the total vacation time in the Presidency or that one particular year? He could have taken the 39% and the analysis of that eight months as 48% and selected the average figure.

The figure cited by Moore was based on the amount of vacation time taken by Bush between his inauguration and Sept. 11, 2001.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
I realized that, Joe, and edited my post as I didn't remember that exactly. It was the first eight months and I have seen higher estimates and lower estimates based on how much time was taken for "briefings." I don't believe that 3% difference amounts to a hill of beans in portraying the President as out-of-touch. How can one learn on the job if they are only in their office 60% of the time?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:26 am
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:29 am
LW, Those are fascinating stats on Bush's vacation time during his first year in office. When I started a new job, there was never a thought about taking vacation time, but to see how much I could accomplish. Nobody that I know of worked less than 50-60 hours every week during their first year on the job. We all know Bush is special in many ways, but they're all negative from my perspective.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:41 am
I've gone as long as 18 months before taking a vacation if I believe the projects I was engaged in had to have my total attention. I would take an extra day off around three day holidays to at least get me away from the job but would have my vacation time accrue. My experience is that they will let you acrrue vacation time for two years, sometimes three. That Bush was briefed means nothing because I don't believe there is any way an accurate time count can be proven. He was on the people's payroll and although he wasn't punching a time clock, he should have acted like he was. That few seemed to be chagrined at this obvious lapse (anyone else would be fired from his job and there is no probation period for the Presidency) is astounding. Moore is really telling us, "How soon we forget."

Andrew Sullivan is an enigma and someone I'd certainly never date. It's that stigma of all critics but film critics inparticular. When they criticize it's either obvious to everyone or it is picking on something that is beyond their understanding. Only another filmmaker can understand. That he would chastize Moore along with Gibson for making over-the-top movies gave me a big laugh. There's an inordinate and illogical fear of worrying about other people being influenced one way or another by a film. The fear manisfests itself into gnashing and a lot of hair-splitting to disguise one's own denial.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:10 am
MM
Could we ever, in our wildest dreams, imagine Michael Moore on the cover of TIME Magazine?

Moore must be laughing all the way to the bank and to the voting booth.

BBB
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:14 am
Moore deserves the critical and financial success and we will see a lot of sour grapes in response.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:33 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:05 pm
I agree -- it is a flawed documentary masterpiece and is now set at 56M (17M estimate box office over the weekend). It could easily not only be the first documentary in history to make that much money but it could top 100M or more internationally.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:05 am
On the job vacations…George W. is obviously a guy who is uncomfortable in interior office surroundings for extended periods of time and probably doesn’t function well without regularly seeing the earth’s horizon line. If there is one thing MM’s film “F911” has disclosed, Bush is not really comfortable serving as president.

Those now-famous seven minutes in the Florida classroom on 9/11 gave us insight to a man freezing in a moment of crises. Some people are good in moments of crisis with their brain’s clicking away at possible solutions and then acting. Others go in to torpor just trying to absorb what happened. It’s not a crime to be in toper, it’s just not a good trait to have if you are president of a country.
0 Replies