win'98 Install Error

gordy

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
I decided to update my Mom's old computer from '98 to '98se.I popped in the startup disk then done a format,then I typed setup .All seemed to go ok then this:

Warning - Windows Setup was unable to update your system files. This may be caused by virus detection that is built in to your computer, or by virus detection software running on your computer. To disable built in virus detection, you will need to run the configuration program that came with your computer, or contact your computer's manufacturer. To disable virus- detection software running on your computer, you may need to remove the lines that start the program from your AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS files. After you have disabled the virus detection, restart your computer, and then run Setup again.

I had a look in the bios but don't really see anything to disable.

The computer is an old Hewlett Packard Brio and the BIOS is Phoenix 4.0

I would really appreciate any help as I don't want to buy her a new one.
And finally if you can help please spell out what I have to do,as it seems I'm not as bright as I thought thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 922 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Cruptr

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:12 am
That is an odd one. Did you try adding the system files to the drive prior to install? If you didn't use the /s switch during the format, you can add them now. Start up with a 98SE boot disk. At the A:> prompt type the following:

SYS C:

After a minute you should get a message saying that the system was transfered. Try your setup again.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 01:26 am
Here's the latest.I removed the battery from the motherboard and let the thing sit for a couple of hours.

Then when I ran setup it started to install.Next I 'phoned my Mom to remind her what a hero I was and the compuer would be back at the weekend.I should'nt have made that call...

Setup started at 7.00pm and finished at 2.00am, 7 HOURS! is this a world record? Anyway after '98 installed it restarted the computer, instead of the screen where you type in the key number all I got was something about KRNL386.EXE.

So thats it. I'll have a look round the computer shops on Saturday and maybe I'll get a second hand one.All my Mom uses it is for the odd email so any thing will do.

If any one has any ideas I'll be gratefull. Other than that her computer is going in the crusher at the back at the back of my work.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 04:23 am
Hi
I suggest to use your start up disk again and choose Without CD ROM support then at the command prompt type: fdisk
Then you'll have 4 choices:
Choose at the beginning choice 3 and delete any existing partition
Then choose choice 1 to create a primary partition (you can choose to use the whole HD or just a partition)
Then choose choice 2 to make the primary partition you have created as ACTIVE

Then Restart your PC and choose Without CD ROM support

At the command prompt type format c: /s/u
and the partition you have created will be formatted

When format finish Restart your PC and choose With CD ROM support and begin SETUP
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
Thanks man.But just too late.The 'puter had a final send off this morning.
I got her a refurb out of the local 'puter shop.
0 Replies