Evolution of Science

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:27 pm
My question would be sort of like the one that was asked, but it is different. If the dogs get breeder a certain way, and then are placed somewhere else, what happens to them? Can artificial and natural selection coexist in an animal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 633 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 10:59 pm
@english class,
I am not sure if I understand the question. Many dogs would die in the wild (if they were separated from humans).

Of course if a species that has been bred by humans is released into the wild and survived for many generations, it would undergo natural selection.
farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 12:12 am
@maxdancona,
an example of the concept are feral hogs. Several generations is all it takes to have artificially developed breeds to adapt and begin to show morphological changes (especially when allowed to breed with wild stock)

Some cattle breeds have exhibited similar traits and certain horse breeds like the Apaloosa are remnants of Spanish War horses. Feral dogs, while known, are often hunted down and not really well tolerated by ag interests.
Cats go feral quickly and Itd be interesting to follow a population for a while. We have a small population of feral cats that live in the Eastport Maine area. The population is several hundred animals strong. Since the 1990's however, the population hs been dwindled down by newly appearing viral diseases like feline AIDS and Parvo virus.
0 Replies