Facebook unfriends DEA!!!

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:20 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Facebook wants assurances from the Drug Enforcement Administration that it’s not operating any more fake profile pages as part of ongoing investigations.

Facebook’s chief security officer, Joe Sullivan, said in a letter Friday to DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart that law enforcement agencies need to follow the same rules about being truthful on Facebook as civilian users. Those rules include a ban on lying about who you are.

Sullivan’s letter was in response to a New York woman’s federal lawsuit claiming that a DEA agent created a fake online persona using her name and photographs stored on her cellphone.

In court filings, Sondra Arquiett said her pictures were retrieved from her cellphone after she was arrested in July 2010 on drug charges and her cellphone seized. Arquiett said the fake page was being used by DEA agent Timothy Sinnigen to interact with ‘‘dangerous individuals he was investigating.’’ Arquiett is asking for $250,000 in damages.

‘‘Facebook has long made clear that law enforcement authorities are subject to these policies,’’ Sullivan wrote. ‘‘We regard DEA’s conduct to be a knowing and serious breach of Facebook’s terms and policies.’’

Facebook also wants the DEA to confirm that it has stopped using any other fake profile pages it may have created.

‘‘The department has launched a review into the incident at issue in this case,’’ Justice Department spokesman Brian Fallon said in response to a request for comment. ‘‘That review is ongoing, but to our knowledge, this is not a widespread practice among our federal law enforcement agencies.’’

The Justice Department initially defended the practice, arguing in an August court filing that while Arquiett didn’t directly authorize Sinnigen to create the fake account, she ‘‘implicitly consented by granting access to the information stored in her cellphone and by consenting to the use of that information to aid in ... ongoing criminal investigations.’’

Last week the agency announced it would review whether the Facebook guise went too far.

The case was scheduled to go to trial this week, but court records show it has been sent to mediation.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/2014/10/17/facebook-warns-drug-agency-over-fake-profiles/tuFwmu5V7GIqYcewftj3NO/story.html?s_campaign=8315

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:20 pm
It's about time FB tried to do something right.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 04:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And good luck..

glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 12:43 am
@ossobuco,
Facebook is already way too intrusive. My gastroenterologist wants me to use Facebook so she can send me my diagnostics. For reasons beyond my pay grade, Facebook recently added that I worked for Maryland Public Television and lived in the wrong county. I'm sure there are people who know how to correct erroneous entries, I don't know how to do it.

I'm seriously thinking about dumping FB, I think I can live without it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:23 pm
@glitterbag,
It's my least favorite social networking site. I hardly ever visit there except when I get an e-mail that someone PMd me or addressed me on their thread. It's a bore to boot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2014 01:53 pm
@glitterbag,
I have lived without it. Each time I think again about joining, primarily to talk with old days real life pals that I no longer have the email addresses of, I see some new thing complained about that I figure would throw me for a loop, and I don't have patience for a lot of loops. I'd undoubtedly pester Jespah to get me through it and wouldn't want to do that, she does a huge enough amount of helping here already. The solution would be to go read the many FB threads here, and the online articles I've saved, and learn to navigate it myself. Manana, I say. Or, domani..

It's a push, since as much as I'm sticking like glue with a2k and generally appreciate it, I'm pretty sure those old pals wouldn't put up with, ah, the argumentative extravaganzas, so that pushing them to join would likely be for naught, when I could just join facebook.

I shouldn't call it FB - those are the username initials of a favorite a2ker.
0 Replies