Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:05 pm
I can understand CI's frustration. I even started a few threads, not that long ago, suggesting the same things he said. But, I finally decided I needed to vote against teabaggers and do all I could to denounce their beliefs and tactics. At the same time, I am supporting the like of Warren, Sanders, Franken - It took the Great Depression to give life to liberal America. It ran out of steam, as the lessons it taught were subverted, by time and greed. It may take a teabagger government, in lieu of a great depression, to alert the complacent among us that these people are poison. By then it may be too late to save us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't lose too much sleep over the tea party. The GOP and tea party is at war.
Quote:
In 2013 it had escalating conflicts with the big business wing of the GOP, which began organizing to fight back.[9] In the 2014 GOP primaries, the Tea Party's most high profile victory was the defeat of Eric Cantor, the #2 House leader who was attacked for being too close to Wall Street.[10] The most serious defeat for the Tea Party came in Mississippi, where it failed in a bitter challenge to the renomination of Senator Thad Cochran. Commentators saw a "civil war" underway inside the GOP between Tea Party elements and the business-oriented establishment.
revelette2

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You keep telling yourself as you don't take advantage of the opportunity afforded to you to cast your vote. If you are not part of the solution....
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:13 pm
@revelette2,
You talk a good piece, but what have you done for this country?
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My one Independent vote will not impact any elections - national or local.

Traditionally, mid term elections produce some of the lowest Democratic turnouts. But this is where the GOP excels....they take advantage of this loophole and eagerly bring out their older white voters who mentally are living in another century. Most GOP politicians seek power to enrich themselves at the expense of the American people.

CI, if many Americans believed like you, that their "one" vote will not make a difference, it's no wonder the Republicans tend to produce people like Ted Cruz, McConnell, etc. If all those who think their "one" vote doesn't count but voted anyway, we would see a landslide in this climate that promises a Republican takeover in the senate.

You, CI, think you have something to complain about now, eh?! Just wait until the GOP is in charge of the Senate. They will cut taxes for the rich, and continue to refuse giving a minimum wage increase to those who deserve it the most. They will instruct a woman about birth control, take away chances for abortion by getting rid of all abortion clinics. The first thing they will attempt to do is repeal the ACA. They will raise students' tuition. They will begin discussing privatizing Social Security. They will make steps to privatize Medicare. They will make sure there will be no same sex marriages in the existing states. They will cut food stamps even more than they already have. They will not even consider the immigration bill. They will get us into an escalating war in the Middle East. (You see how war hungry John McCain and Lindsay Graham are.)

The Republicans are indeed greedy and are in politics to enhance their own personal fortunes, NOT to work for the American people; they don't give a fig for the average American worker or the middle class. If they did, McConnell and his freakish allies would not have made plans on President Obama's first Inauguration night to oppose him in everything he offered to do to help the American people....if the congress weaken the president of the US then he hurts the American people.

You of course have your right to sit this mid term election out, and by past mid term elections' behavior, you will not be alone. But this much you should bear in mind, this attitude of yours along with tens of thousands who feel the same way is one reason the Republicans will treat us like garbage and walk all over us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:04 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Not true at all! There are millions of eligible voters who don't even register to vote. As I've mentioned too often already, the GOP is out to disenfranchise voters whether they're registered or not, and they create handicaps for minorities by implementing voter ID requirements that is tantamount to a voter tax. Those are all illegal, but the SCOTUS does nothing. Our government is broken in addition to the fraud perpetrated by the GOP in eliminating registered voters from their rolls.

It's a fight not worth fighting - until such time our government cleans up its own acts. Even when you vote for candidates, the GOP's gridlock of our government will not change. Look how close the GOP is to controlling both houses of congress; that's the choice of the American electorate. My one vote means nothing.

American voters vote for the very party that's destroying this country. My one vote means nothing.

Women and minorities vote for the GOP. My one vote means nothing.

I know hopeless when I see it.

When both the voters and our government is broken, there's nothing one vote will do to change this idiocy.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:34 pm
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/1507995_339177222930826_7324850863048163006_n.jpg?oh=4629c707662c3c5fa1fff017df90c684&oe=54EC1643
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Not true at all! There are millions of eligible voters who don't even register to vote.

And this is exactly what I'm referring to. People who are registered and don't vote along with those who have never bothered to register are giving the edge to the GOP....helping them to create a nation of haves and the have nots. If everyone voted we, the Dems, Liberals, Gays, Students, Asians, Latinos, African Americans could make a difference. We did in 2009 and 2012.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:49 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I find it humorous that you call it
Quote:
giving the edge to the GOP

The GOP doesn't need any help from me! They're doing just fine by disenfranchising voters - even registered voters - while our government does nothing. We all heard that old saw about the GOP stopping voter fraud. They're the ones guilty of voter fraud, and I'm supposed to worry? LOL

You,
Quote:
If everyone voted we, the Dems, Liberals, Gays, Students, Asians, Latinos, African Americans could make a difference. We did in 2009 and 2012.

Have you seen the polls on Obama lately? The majority are not very happy with his performance as our president. He won and the American people lost. 52% of Americans disapprove of Obama's performance.

Any more good ideas?
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Have you seen the polls on Obama lately? The majority are not very happy with his performance as our president. He won and the American people lost. 52% of Americans disapprove of Obama's performance.

And this is because the Republicans' pernicious narrative diminishes Obama all over the place. Everything that happens is blamed on Obama. Our unemployment rate is down to 6.5 and when Obama took office the first time we were hemorrhaging jobs so badly we were on our way to a depression. He has implemented the ACA and the GOP led by Ted Cruz shut down the government where we lost 24 BILLION because of GOP STUPIDTY.

The Gop cut funds for our US embassy bases and when U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens was killed in the Benghazi attack they accused Obama of a coverup. Obama has tried to keep troops off the ground in Iraq, and Syria, but many in the Republican Party would like troops on the ground and they're circulating the rumor that Obama is weak and is trying to learn on the job.

Hawkish Hillary Clinton, getting ready for her presidential run, would like to distance herself from Obama's foreign policy by saying she was for arming the Syrian rebels but Obama wasn't sure whether the arms would fall in the wrong hands or not and refused to give the go ahead. Along comes Leon Panetta's book criticizing how Obama was wrong in not supplying the Syrian rebels. He is backing Hillary up, possibly hoping for a cabinet post after her coronation.

Perception is often reality. Obama, seemingly, cannot do anything right. The GOP is excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details regarding Obama and their's is a false narrative. No wonder Obama hair is prematurely going white over night. Even when the man takes a vacation he's criticized; GWB took vacations all the time!

I have reached the conclusion by reading your posts, CI, that you are easily swayed by public opinion. Where is your loyalty to your president? I am a supporter, and I realize the heavy burden he's had to carry in addition to his being the first African American president and his race has indeed been a burden with a Republican hateful congress who feel non-whites should not hold the position of Commander-in-Chief.

I understand you want to be on the winning side, CI, we all do. But this is a trying time for President Obama. No president is perfect and they all have failed in one way or another. But just think how well Obama might have done if the Republicans did not do everything in their power to try and make him fail. You believe their hateful narrative without question. Just like originally, you wrote the post condemning Edward Snowden. After many attacks from the pro-Snowden crowd you caved in and now find yourself more against him than anyone. You were once so against Obama because he did not close Guantanamo, or lift the embargo on Cuba. No president can act unilaterally, but need the House in addition...remember our government consists of the Legislature, the Judicial and the Executive branch. Yet you still mouthed off regarding how Obama is not doing his job and has disappointed you. Obama's hands are tied until the House drops its ruthless unhealthy sick attacks against him.

You once hurled so many insults at the US and Obama that I began to question your loyalty to this country. Eventually, I reached the conclusion you housed strong emotions and there are no half-way measures in your feelings. I, too, hold very strong emotions and often go over the top with my rhetoric.

At any rate, there are two sides to this political situation. Don't let your judgement be one-sided only, pointing out to me Obama's low poll ratings. There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:34 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
And this is because the Republicans' pernicious narrative diminishes Obama all over the place. Everything that happens is blamed on Obama

A couple of weeks ago Bill Clinton unloaded on Obama, he said that during his time he faced even worse R opposition than Obama has but unlike Obama he was able to get some things done.

BURN!

I will say this, The Professor as been such an incompetent prick that he is going to end up being regarded as an even worse president than Carter, which took some real doing.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:55 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
It really doesn't matter what the cause is for Obama's low performance rating.

That's all part and parcel of our politics in this county. If you believe it's working, you have more confidence than I ever will.

Voters are so easily lead astray they even got many tea party members into congress. We all know how that turned out~!

From my observation point, I'm seeing both sides working hard to see who hits bottom first. When there's that much impetus moving us towards chaos, a few good votes isn't gonna do much good.

Wake me up when the nightmare is over.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

A couple of weeks ago Bill Clinton unloaded on Obama, he said that during his time he faced even worse R opposition than Obama has but unlike Obama he was able to get some things done.

Bill Clinton is a white southerner, and a Democrat. All Republicans are against Dems and vice versa, but there is a stipulation here. The Republicans would rather have a white Democrat than a Black man. The Republican Party did not, on Bill Clinton's first night, declare collectively they would OPPOSE EVERYTHING Clinton had on his agenda for his administration the way Mitch McConnell, the walking dead man from Kentucky did.

From a psychological point of view, there are whites and Republicans who are scared sh*tless that they're losing control of America. They see factually an African American in the most sought after powerful position in the US and they (Whites) feel threatened. They feel with a changing demographic America might soon have a Japanese-American president, but most likely, a Latino president of the US to begin with. This seat, the Presidency of the US, has always been the exclusive reserve of the white man, certainly, not a black man!

Obama was able to get the ACA passed during his first term. This was a major accomplishment, his legacy. He will always be remembered for getting this through because the House passed the health-care reform bill without Republican votes and these suckers have been trying to repeal it ever since!

Good night!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:06 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Look; we all know what Mitch McConnell said when Obama won the presidency for the very first time. The declaration was loud and clear;
Quote:
"He said, his number-one goal was to make sure that Barack Obama was a one-term president.”

Look at McConnell's tenure in congress. The people voted him back into congress. They want our country to fail.

I'm not here to fight idiocy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:17 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
The R's had waged war on Clinton, but he was able to do deal with Gingrich. Boehner wanted to do the same but a combination of him being too weak to get deals done and Obama being more interested in continuing to be a prick than get things done sunk the scheme.

Quote:
He will always be remembered for hobbling a huge government program long term by launching it without any bipartisan support, nor much effort to obtain it

FIXED.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
I just voted. As much as I wanted to vote for the R challenger in my district under my theory of vote them all out till they get to work she seemingly has never seen a hit them harder law proposal that she could not support. I will hold my nose and vote for the incumbent.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 06:49 am
@Moment-in-Time,
That is true, I haven't liked the Clinton's since 2008. What about all Bill Clinton's glowing praises of Obama last democratic convention? Was all that a bunch phony crap?

Transcript of Bill Clinton’s Speech to the Democratic National Convention

Quote:
Now, I like — I like — I like the argument for President Obama’s re-election a lot better. Here it is. He inherited a deeply damaged economy. He put a floor under the crash. He began the long, hard road to recovery and laid the foundation for a modern, more well- balanced economy that will produce millions of good new jobs, vibrant new businesses and lots of new wealth for innovators. (Cheers, applause.)

Now, are we where we want to be today? No.

AUDIENCE MEMBERS: No!

PRESIDENT CLINTON: Is the president satisfied? Of course not.

AUDIENCE MEMBERS: No!

PRESIDENT CLINTON: But are we better off than we were when he took office? (Cheers, applause.)

And listen to this. Listen to this. Everybody — (inaudible) — when President Barack Obama took office, the economy was in free fall. It had just shrunk 9 full percent of GDP. We were losing 750,000 jobs a month.

Are we doing better than that today?

AUDIENCE MEMBERS: Yes! (Applause.)

PRESIDENT CLINTON: The answer is yes.

Now, look. Here’s the challenge he faces and the challenge all of you who support him face. I get it. I know it. I’ve been there. A lot of Americans are still angry and frustrated about this economy. If you look at the numbers, you know employment is growing, banks are beginning to lend again. And in a lot of places, housing prices are even beginning to pick up.

But too many people do not feel it yet.

I had the same thing happen in 1994 and early ‘95. We could see that the policies were working, that the economy was growing. But most people didn’t feel it yet. Thankfully, by 1996 the economy was roaring, everybody felt it, and we were halfway through the longest peacetime expansion in the history of the United States. But — (cheers, applause) — wait, wait. The difference this time is purely in the circumstances. President Obama started with a much weaker economy than I did. Listen to me, now. No president — no president, not me, not any of my predecessors, no one could have fully repaired all the damage that he found in just four years. (Cheers, applause.)

Now — but — (cheers, applause) — he has — he has laid the foundation for a new, modern, successful economy of shared prosperity. And if you will renew the president’s contract, you will feel it. You will feel it. (Cheers, applause.)

Folks, whether the American people believe what I just said or not may be the whole election. I just want you to know that I believe it. With all my heart, I believe it. (Cheers, applause.)

Now, why do I believe it?

I’m fixing to tell you why. I believe it because President Obama’s approach embodies the values, the ideas and the direction America has to take to build the 21st-century version of the American Dream: a nation of shared opportunities, shared responsibilities, shared prosperity, a shared sense of community.

So let’s get back to the story. In 2010, as the president’s recovery program kicked in, the job losses stopped and things began to turn around. The recovery act saved or created millions of jobs and cut taxes — let me say this again — cut taxes for 95 percent of the American people. (Cheers, applause.) And, in the last 29 months, our economy has produced about 4 1/2 million private sector jobs. (Cheers, applause.)

We could have done better, but last year the Republicans blocked the president’s job plan, costing the economy more than a million new jobs.

So here’s another job score. President Obama: plus 4 1/2 million. Congressional Republicans: zero. (Cheers, applause.)

During this period — (cheers, applause) — during this period, more than 500,000 manufacturing jobs have been created under President Obama. That’s the first time manufacturing jobs have increased since the 1990s. (Cheers, applause.) And I’ll tell you something else. The auto industry restructuring worked. (Cheers, applause.) It saved — it saved more than a million jobs, and not just at GM, Chrysler and their dealerships but in auto parts manufacturing all over the country.

That’s why even the automakers who weren’t part of the deal supported it. They needed to save those parts suppliers too. Like I said, we’re all in this together. (Applause.)

So what’s happened? There are now 250,000 more people working in the auto industry than on the day the companies were restructured. (Cheers, applause

There is plenty more in that vein but, seriously, Bill Clinton truly does talk out of both sides of his mouth.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 07:31 am
'If we vote, we win. If we don't, we lose,' Biden says in Las Vegas
Source: Las Vegas Sun

Vice President Joe Biden laid out a simple formula for Nevada Democrats on election day at a voter rally in Las Vegas today. "If we vote, we win. If we don't, we lose," Biden told a crowd of several hundred people Saturday afternoon at the local plumbers and pipefitters union building near Lamb Boulevard and Bonanza Road.

... "When we keep the Senate, when Lucy (Flores) wins, the first thing you're going to see, all of a sudden you'll see this gridlock broken," Biden said. "All of a sudden you'll begin to see America work again."

... Biden started his speech by immediately targeting outside groups that have funneled millions of dollars in dark money into attack ads against Democratic candidates.

... Democratic Rep. Steven Horsford was joined at the Biden rally Saturday by fellow Democratic Rep. Dina Titus and lieutenant governor candidate Lucy Flores. Television star Eva Longoria was also on hand to pump up supporters.

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/nov/01/biden-democrats-message-las-vegas/
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:59 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm hoping those who plan to sit out the election will change their minds at the last minute.
roger

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 03:18 pm
@revelette2,
You can count on me!