Who is voting this November and why should you bother?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:14 pm
@georgeob1,
The asshole Republicans and some Democrats didn't care enough for the people it was intended for to stand up and help make it the best it could be, even when they knew a version of it would certainly be passed. Obama had to let it be changed to keep enough votes to pass it.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
More than that the President feels free to amend it anytime he chooses.

I believe another Supreme Court challenge will arise over the subsidizing of policies in the ACA Federal exchanges - something that is clearly not authorized in the law, but allowed by the President. How that may turn out I don't know, but the law isn't as secure as you imply in that area.

In addition I believe the Republicans will work on defunding and amending the law in segments. I suspect that, if they choose their targets wisely, we will start seeing some Democrat defectors. Harry Reid prohibited nearly all votes on legislation, thereby protecting Democrat Senators from going on record before the recent election in votes on contentious issues. While doing so he had the duplicity to blame Republicans for the resulting deadlock. An even higher stakes election is just two years out, and that protection is now gone. Beteween that and the President's falling popularity, and increasingly obvious tin ear for public perceptions, I believe we will soon start seeing a lot more division in the Democrat ranks.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on this "Law of the Land".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The asshole Republicans and some Democrats didn't care enough for the people it was intended for to stand up and help make it the best it could be, even when they knew a version of it would certainly be passed. Obama had to let it be changed to keep enough votes to pass it.

Yes...he absolutely did. And I personally blame the Democrats and liberals who helped force his hand more than the Republicans and conservatives. The liberal view back them was so unrealistic...it defies imagination.

When they listed polls showing Americans AGAINST...that tally "against" included way, way, way too many liberals who thought they could demand the whole yard rather than just a first inch.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:38 pm
I see your point. But, if it had been done right in the first place, it would be the most popular legislation ever. Republicans would have of necessity embraced it eventually, instead of now working to take it apart.
revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
True, if only. .but now we are dealing with what is. I am not quite sure what the republicans can do other than defunding it which would in the end be bad for them politically.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:54 pm
@revelette2,
I guess we will have to wait for the 2015 price tag. I wonder why we had to wait till after the elections to find out about 2015 premiums? Just like Obama's delays, it all had to wait till after the elections. It's going to be bad news for the ACA.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:57 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
It's going to be bad news for the ACA.

But the ACA can afford it, it is the people who can't.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 01:59 pm
Right!

The conservative Kool Aid drinkers think better to be back in the position of the only industrialized nation without general health protection...than to use the start of someone like Barack Obama.

Oh, well...we get what we deserve!
revelette2

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:05 pm
@Baldimo,
I guess we will see if your dire predictions comes true. I have a novel idea, rather thinking of ways for the health care system to fail, why don't republicans work with Obama on ways to improve it? That way, republicans will get the credit and might thereby benefit politically from it and Americans will benefit from it as well.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,

Quote:
Oh, well...we get what we deserve!

And we elected a loser twice. People are tired of losing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:08 pm
@revelette2,
Great idea. But it won't float with teabags.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I see your point. But, if it had been done right in the first place, it would be the most popular legislation ever. Republicans would have of necessity embraced it eventually, instead of now working to take it apart.

I infer by "done right" you mean a compulsory single payer plan. What does "... of necessity embraced it eventually.." really mean? I believe it is rather obvious that most Democrats in the Congress didn't believe they would survive politically if they passed such a plan, and not without reason.

In any event, you're entitled to your opinion that such a plan would (1) have been better; (2) be the most popular legislation ever; and (3) would eventually of necessity be accepted by all. It didn't happen and isn't likely to happen in the coming generation, so we'll never know. The taste the public has had so far isn't all that good and the progressive propaganda isn't as effective as it was a few yearsa ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:16 pm
Most of the distaste for Obamacare comes from 24 hour a day generation of false and misleading attacks from Republicans. When you hear in every mention of it how bad it is, even people benefiting can have doubts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:17 pm
Yup...better for the American conservative to suggest that we cannot do in America what every other industrialized nation has done.

American conservatism is pathetic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:21 pm
From today's news conference (the conciliatory note of yesterday lasted less than a day)

Boehner conceded that the Senate may not have the votes to repeal Obamacare, but said his chamber would proceed with the matter anyway. He added that "bipartisan majorities" interested in eliminating at least some parts of the law exist in both the House and Senate.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The asshole Republicans

Get a lot done with talk like that. These people are not your enemies. You need an attitude adjustment.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:58 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The asshole Republicans

Get a lot done with talk like that. These people are not your enemies. You need an attitude adjustment.

American conservatism is fast becoming the enemy of all humanity, cj.

I realize you cannot see that...and surely you think that those of us who feel that way are out of line...

...but American conservatism is becoming the enemy of all humanity...and of all sound reasoning.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:12 pm
@coldjoint,
They may not seem like enemies to you, but when they pursue policies that beggar over half the population, its hard to feel otherwise.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

[
American conservatism is fast becoming the enemy of all humanity, cj.

I realize you cannot see that...and surely you think that those of us who feel that way are out of line...

...but American conservatism is becoming the enemy of all humanity...and of all sound reasoning.

I'm constantly impressed by the certainty of small-minded progressives that they (alone) can speak with certainty for all mankind and as well can preempt all sound reasoning.

I'm pretty sure of myself (indeed, occasionaly a bit overbearing) and have an unusually broad range of experience in life, but would never express such a claim. There's simply too much I don't know out there. Why do I suspect Frank has an inadequate appreciation for the limits of his knowledge, understanding and experience?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
It makes one wonder why the republicans who are supposed to be for less government intrusion a) makes every effort to disenfranchise voters, b) take away women's rights to their own body, c) create bigger national deficits, d) deny gays and lesbians equality, and e) waste time and money by attempting to repeal ObamaCare that's already the law of the land - knowing full well that Obama will never sign off on it.