Is it possible ...

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 12:00 am
Is it possible to be gay and a Christian, and is it possible to be a liberal and a Christian ?

To me they seem like polar opposites, if you're one you can't be the other. Your thoughts please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,233 • Replies: 34
No top replies

rufio

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 12:35 am
I've heard of both, in fact I think I saw some article about how the most socially conservative radical Christians tend to be liberal - like catholics and so forth. And wasn't there a gay pastor or something a little while ago?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 02:40 am
Re: Is it possible ...
CerealKiller wrote:
Is it possible to be gay and a Christian, and is it possible to be a liberal and a Christian ?

To me they seem like polar opposites, if you're one you can't be the other. Your thoughts please.

I don't see why you can't be gay and a Christian or even a liberal and Christian.
0 Replies

KesTrel

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:16 am
I know of a person that gose by "LiberalChristian"

You'de be suprised. Remeber my freind, religon consist of individuals. Some having no real clue what they actually belive.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:20 am
and what do you suppose, is the sexual orientation of the thousands of Catholic priests who, over the last several years, have been exposed as pedophiles, preying on the little boys in their parishes; i suppose this calls for a 'definition' of 'Christian'?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:23 am
Could I be a NFL Referee?

- I don't believe that clipping is a penalty.
- I think a safety should be worth 4 points instead of 2.
- I think there should be five downs instead of four.

What do you think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 07:27 am
What a bunch of crap. There are more Christians among liberals than atheists among liberals. A2k is not representative of the real world in that respect. I have personally known a number of Homosexuals who are also Christians. They just ignore the homophobes.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:00 am
Just because a person calls himself a Christian (or a Muslim, or a NFL Referee, or Napoleon Bonaparte) doesn't make it so.

Just because the few sick bastards in the Catholic Church who molested children called themselves Christians does not mean they really are, no more than I am Napoleon Bonaparte just because I say I am.

It is also my belief that if you claim membership in any group, you should pretty much agree with the the rules and belief system of the group. Just like in my example two posts ago, you couldn't be an NFL Referee if you disagree about the rules of the game.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:10 am
I agree with Jim. Christianity is strictly against homosexualism. I disagree with Christian Church in that. But I think that if you consider yourself Christian then you have to follow the rules of the Church. You can't say I am Christian but I disagree with that and that and that. Because that's opposing Christianity.
If you disagree with some things Christian Church is teaching then you are not Christian. It's not like political voting....you are either Christian and following everyone that is preached and/or teached, or you are not Christian.
And that goes for child molesters as well....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:12 am
Thjere you go ... Equating homosexuals by inuendo with child molesters.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:19 am
MyOwnUserName - We're pretty much in agreement here.

As for the teachings of the Church, some of them are truly fundamental to being a Christian (such as Thou Shall Not Kill). Others seem to be more man-made, and I doubt are truly requirements for being a Christian (some Christian denominations do not allow singing in their services, others do not allow their members to dance). It is for each Christian to prayerfully consider (in conjuncture with Church teachings and the Bible) which of these teachings are critical.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:26 am
edgar, BoGoWo mentioned molesters.
And it's not equating - you may see in other topics my opinion about homosexualism and gay marriages. I have absolutely no problems with it

But, for Christian Church homosexualism is wrong and it's sin. I disagree with that fully. But you can't be a homosexual and Christian. That has no sense.

Jim - of course, denominations differ in few or sometimes many things. And, in the light of that, of course, if there is Christian denomination that respects and accepts homosexualism, and particular homosexual is member of that denomination, then it's different story.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:28 am
Call it a Freudian slip - The inuendo was there.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:35 am
well it was neither Freudian nor any kind of slip. It was not slip at all. It was answer to another comment.

If you think that it's impossible to completely accept homosexualism and in the same time to think that it's bizarre that homosexual considers himself Christian, well, you are entitled to that. I think you are wrong.

Let me remind you once again - I am not Christian.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:37 am
Well, when I see homosexual and child molester in one post, it sets off an alarm. In this case I will concede a mistake on my part.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:39 am
In my book (which arguably could be the wrong book) any belief system with Christ as the central teacher is "Christian". Although some C. denominations may reject gays and liberals, there are undoubtedly others that welcome them.

I'm currently without religion, but the Protestant sect I was brought up in welcomes both conservatives and liberals, and although it views homosexuality as a deviation needing prayer to be eventually "cured", it does not exclude gays outright.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:40 am
okay, and I'll admit that it might sounded like that - it was not clearly noted that it's just response to another comment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:41 am
Why a homosexual can still be a Christian: If someone believes in Jesus as the Christ and leads a moral life, they are a Christian. As to the Old Testament railing against homosexuals, there are so many railings in there that one has to ignore to even live, I don't think it ought to be taken seriously.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 08:45 am
Equus wrote:
Although some C. denominations may reject gays and liberals, there are undoubtedly others that welcome them.

I might be wrong, but I really thought huge majority of them rejects homosexualism. Of course, if that's not true then it's another story.

Equus wrote:
Protestant sect I was brought up in......views homosexuality as a deviation needing prayer to be eventually "cured", it does not exclude gays outright.

well, but that's also another story. Do they accept gays that refuse to consider themselves "sick" or to try to "cure" themselves?
But, anyway, it's still bizarre for me that gay member of this particular sect considers himself Christian, unless he thinks himself that his sexual preference is "disease"
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:43 am
Of course it's possible! Just look at all the gay Catholic Priests! And look at how many priests and ministers have paid for abortions! Not to mention the pedophiles but we won't go there...
0 Replies